Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
This lol.

Can Chi move Toews? Nope. Not easily or without multiple pieces.
Can EDM move Drai? Uhhhh. Yeah. very easily. If they so choose at some point.

I don't get these comparisons, they are off-base and silly.

I am the furthest thing from an EDM fan; actually, I really strongly dislike them. These haters are ridiculous though.

I love reading posters like you.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Jeeze, these RFAs are getting paid this summer. Time for another lockout.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The majority of comments who are ripping into Draisaitl and this contract show how ill informed and ignorant a majority of HF posters are. The crying Flames fans, the same ones who think that their team is the next Blackhawks, are extra obnoxious, and this is coming from someone who isn't an Oilers fan.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
The Hawks did exactly what you just said. T&K were paid 6.3 million for their potential and won 3 Cups and then received 10.5 for the success. Do you think McD and Drais would take less in their next contract if they win 3 Cups?
Toews and Kane recieved 11.10% of the cap after their ELC'S and before you stick your foot in your mouth again; they signed Dec 2nd, 2009....BEFORE THEY HAD WON THE CUP.
Draisaitl's post ELC contract is 11.33% of the cap so it's on PAR with your heroes

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
No hometown discount that's for sure. Was this even a negotiation or did Draisaitl just name his price?

Agreed. Don't know how anyone reasonable could say it's a hometown discount. It's the 4th largest contract under the cap after an ELC ever (McDavid, Crosby and Malkin were higher).

Certainly seems like RFA years aren't what they used to be.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Strikes me as on the high end of fair.

I'm not really sure why people are saying it isn't. Player contracts are literally a market. Value is determined based on what teams are willing to pay. The most reliable metric for Draisatl's value is what teams paid comparable players under the existing cap, so this off-season. Monahan got 8 and Kuznetsov got 7.8.

In other words, his value literally is around 8 million. You can debate whether a team SHOULD pay that much for him. But this off-season showed that 8 million is what the market will bear for a player like Draisatl.

I think people don't understand this concept, and that's why many said (and now say) Monahan, Kuznetsov, and now Draisatl are overpaid. They are not overpaid. This is what younger players who can (or are at least perceived to be able to) play 1C are valued at now, because it's what teams are willing to pay for them.

That said, it's on the higher end of the "fair" range because he's earning more than Monahan and Kuz- I think it's unclear whether he's better than either of them. But make no mistake, someone was going to give him 8-9. As far as Edmonton being screwed: Maybe. I'm pretty sure people said the same thing when Pittsburgh locked up Malkin and Crosby. In any event, if the Oilers let him go and sought a similar caliber center, guess what. They'd have to pay around 8 million. This is how markets work.

Not to detract from what you said, or if Drai was paid fairly, but Monahan got 6.375.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Man is that a lot of money for a player with one great season under his belt. There's one thing that I don't like about giving a player coming off an ELC max term and big dollar, and that is that it doesn't create a whole lot of incentive to get better. Bet the Oilers wished they hadn't burned a year in 14-15 for absolutely no reason.

It could still work out well, Draisaitl I think has a better chance of recreating his success than Hall, Nuge, or Eberle ever did. The team looks to be more stable now. Still tho, that's a big number to live up to.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
No GM would have been able to sign Drai or McDavid for less. These are two of the finest young players in the league. As for the Oilers cap situation, it is not nearly as dire as people are saying. I've seen the numbers. All we need is modest cap growth and we will be fine. If we have to lose someone like Maroon or RNH then so be it. That wont destroy us
You have a great username for this post :nod:

Have to say though it will take some magic to sign all the RFA's, replace guys like Maroon and RNH with far cheaper models just to stay competitive...good luck. :naughty:

oilersfan87

Jan 18, 2009
If he keeps playing like he did last season he will definitely be worth it. These huge contracts are going to become the norm for young superstar players.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Fair contract for Leon. The guy is a monster and I think he's only gonna get better. That 1-2 punch down the middle is sick! Add in Lucic, RNH, Strome, MP, Maroon, etc.........these guys are going to be beasts of the West! Anyone chirping PC for giving Leon this doesn't watch hockey, great job getting your 2 stars signed long term. City of champions will be back in business

BryzyInPhilly

Jun 27, 2011
Agreed. Don't know how anyone reasonable could say it's a hometown discount. It's the 4th largest contract under the cap after an ELC ever (McDavid, Crosby and Malkin were higher).

Certainly seems like RFA years aren't what they used to be.

But is it the 4th largest post-ELC contract as a share of the total cap space? That's the only relevant question. You can't compare them directly because the cap has increased, and so will salaries.

I agree with your other point that he definitely did not take a discount, though. I just think that's a misleading statistic.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
8 x 8.5 for one year of proven production... I guess that's what you have to pay these days to keep talent - better hope those numbers don't regress.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Fair contract for Leon. The guy is a monster and I think he's only gonna get better. That 1-2 punch down the middle is sick! Add in Lucic, RNH, Strome, MP, Maroon, etc.........these guys are going to be beasts of the West! Anyone chirping PC for giving Leon this doesn't watch hockey, great job getting your 2 stars signed long term. City of champions will be back in business

:help: lot's o luck

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
You have a great username for this post :nod:

Have to say though it will take some magic to sign all the RFA's, replace guys like Maroon and RNH with far cheaper models just to stay competitive...good luck. :naughty:

Not that hard at all. We have lots of young guys coming up with skill and size that can easily replace those players. The good news is we don't need those players to be #1 Elite players, just supporting players who can fill in when needed.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Toews and Kane recieved 11.10% of the cap after their ELC'S and before you stick your foot in your mouth again; they signed Dec 2nd, 2009....BEFORE THEY HAD WON THE CUP.
Draisaitl's post ELC contract is 11.33% of the cap so it's on PAR with your heroes

exactly dum dum before they won the cup which means potential which is why I put that in the comment. I wasn't trashing the oilers or the McD or Drais signing I was responding to someone who said they would pay for potential and not for success or loyalty. McD and drais will get larger contracts too if they have the same success

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Wow seems slightly rich. I thought 7M would have been good and more than fair. Not looking forward to seeing Nylander and Marner command 8M while Matthews commands 10.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
The majority of comments who are ripping into Draisaitl and this contract show how ill informed and ignorant a majority of HF posters are. The crying Flames fans, the same ones who think that their team is the next Blackhawks, are extra obnoxious, and this is coming from someone who isn't an Oilers fan.

Don't agree with me = ill informed and ignorant. That sum it up?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'd much rather have Drai at 8.500 than RyJo at 8.000
I personally like this, but I also think it means RNH has to go.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
If there's something you don't mind paying for, it's a 1-2 punch like McDavid Draisatl. They're the next generation Sid/Geno, Z/Datsyuk etc. and just getting started. Gives you the base for success for a long time.

Zero problem with this contract.

In 18-19:

McDavid
Draisatl
RNH
Lucic
Kassian
Pulju

= 35.875M

Sekera
Klefbom
Larsson
Russell
Gryba

= 18.734M

Talbot

= 4.167M

Pouliot BO

= 1.334M

Total = 60.11M

RFA's to re-sign: Strome, Slepyshev, Caggiula, Benning, Nurse, Brossoit
UFA's: Letestu, Maroon, Jokinen, Fayne
Expiring BO: Korpikoski

With Vegas entering the league, cap probably goes up by a few million. So the Oilers will have ~18M to re-sign their 6 RFA's, and find a few cheap replacements for their UFA's. Totally doable, they won't have much trouble finding guys wanting to play for them.

Needless to say, the Oilers won't be making any big time FA signings in the future, but as far as filling the roster goes i think they'll manage. Just can't afford handing out any bad contracts from now on, which means they won't be able to keep every player that plays well for them in the future. Decisions have to be made who is worth keeping and who is not, especially with the McDavid effect (looking at a guy like Maroon now for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad