Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
He got rid of Eberle's contract which he inherited, if he can find a taker for RNH. It will clear the decks for PC even more. I look at the Russell signing at 4M x 4. That was fair for an underrated player IMO. Kelfbom and Larsson are slightly over 4M. So really other than Lucic, which IMO is not bad either. I don't see a bad contract on the roster. McDavid and Draisaitl could have demanded more, but it looks like both took the home team discount. No holding out, no contract drama, people should be lauding Chiarelli from what I can see.

Lucic and RNH are horrible contracts..8.5 million a home team discount? not so sure about that. Its laughable that guys who have had 1 good year are now getting paid like they earned it.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Yes, but I'd rather pay two young, improving players that much money for future potential cups than just paying two guys for loyalty. Makes much less sense to pay for past cups than future cups.

The Hawks did exactly what you just said. T&K were paid 6.3 million for their potential and won 3 Cups and then received 10.5 for the success. Do you think McD and Drais would take less in their next contract if they win 3 Cups?

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Does lucic have a full NMC? That may end up being one of the worst contracts ever signed considering the situation....

He does but even if he didn't the way the pay is structured makes him pretty well untradeable.
Of the $6 million x 7 the signing bonuses were 4,4,3.5,3,3,2.5 & 3. That's money that has to be paid every July 1 even if there is a lockout/work stoppage.
Draisaitl is probably worth this contract but RNH has to be traded before the McDavid 1 kicks in & the guys like Nurse, Benning & Kassian can be re-signed due to cap space.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Klefbom is not a top 50 D man in the NHL.

Trouba is much better than Klefbom. Neither are top pairing D though.

Name them. You won't though because you keep saying boisterous stuff for attention without any thing to back it up.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
The Hawks did exactly what you just said. T&K were paid 6.3 million for their potential and won 3 Cups and then received 10.5 for the success. Do you think McD and Drais would take less in their next contract if they win 3 Cups?

Nope, they wouldn't.

Do you think next year is 2010?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No GM would have been able to sign Drai or McDavid for less. These are two of the finest young players in the league. As for the Oilers cap situation, it is not nearly as dire as people are saying. I've seen the numbers. All we need is modest cap growth and we will be fine. If we have to lose someone like Maroon or RNH then so be it. That wont destroy us

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
That Lucic contract has albatross written all over it REALLY soon.
Yea because he's missed so many games due to injury.....
Lucic 6 years 6 million 29 years old
Draisaitl 8 years 8.5 million 21 years old
or
Giroux 5 years 8.275 million 29 years old
Voracek 7 years 8.25 million 28 years old

I'll take the Oilers albatross contracts thanks

BryzyInPhilly

Jun 27, 2011
Strikes me as on the high end of fair.

I'm not really sure why people are saying it isn't. Player contracts are literally a market. Value is determined based on what teams are willing to pay. The most reliable metric for Draisatl's value is what teams paid comparable players under the existing cap, so this off-season. Monahan got 8 and Kuznetsov got 7.8.

In other words, his value literally is around 8 million. You can debate whether a team SHOULD pay that much for him. But this off-season showed that 8 million is what the market will bear for a player like Draisatl.

I think people don't understand this concept, and that's why many said (and now say) Monahan, Kuznetsov, and now Draisatl are overpaid. They are not overpaid. This is what younger players who can (or are at least perceived to be able to) play 1C are valued at now, because it's what teams are willing to pay for them.

That said, it's on the higher end of the "fair" range because he's earning more than Monahan and Kuz- I think it's unclear whether he's better than either of them. But make no mistake, someone was going to give him 8-9. As far as Edmonton being screwed: Maybe. I'm pretty sure people said the same thing when Pittsburgh locked up Malkin and Crosby. In any event, if the Oilers let him go and sought a similar caliber center, guess what. They'd have to pay around 8 million. This is how markets work.

Last edited:

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Bawhahaha! This will be the worst contract in the NHL going forward easily. Without McJesus Drai is a 50 point player. Love it!:laugh::laugh:

Bawhahaha! You get to watch tkachuk bounce off of Drai every time he tries to hit him for the next 8 years. Love it!:laugh::laugh:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Bawhahaha! This will be the worst contract in the NHL going forward easily. Without McJesus Drai is a 50 point player. Love it!:laugh::laugh:

You obviously do not watch the Oilers much, he has proven he does not need McDavid to produce, fact check a bit before you post. Note I dislike the Oilers, but this kid is good, they didn't have much of a choice.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Uh, he was pretty damn impressive with McDavid out. He was called up almost exactly when McDavid got injured and McDavid returned after the all star break.Before McDavid returned, Draisaitl scored 12 goals and 25 assists for 36 points in 40 games. He scored 7 goals and 7 assists in 32 games after McDavid returned. Quite a bit of that due to TMac sheltering McDavid's line and giving McDavid's line the prime time offensive opportunities.

He paced himself better this past year and was good all year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad