Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Kassian signs extension with Oilers (4 years, $3.2M AAV)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
3rd liners get paid $3M+ in todays' NHL.
Can you name 10? I'm not saying there aren't more overpaid players in the league... but I am saying bottom 6 guys dont' make more than 3 million x 4. There are 600 guys in the NHL... so finding 10 should be easy... I'll even take 5.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I know a lot about the player.. I've even posted his playoff and career stats...

He's a career 20 to 29 guy. He just got a 4 year extension.

If he's a tough guy and has 'grit'... he did nothing tonight to deter all the fights. In the last game Gio almost decapitated McDavid. Tkachuk took a 2 handed swing at Drai. He didn't deter either play.

He was a beast in the playoffs so you obviously weren't posting those stats to help your point. He had 3 goals in the 13 games on a 4th line (all big goals btw) and he played a big part in turning around that San Jose series but setting a physical tone. That's the extra stuff he brings to the table. Physicality, strong forecheck.

I would have preferred 3 years but the 3.2 AAV is about right for a unique player like him.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He was a beast in the playoffs so you obviously weren't posting those stats to help your point. He had 3 goals in the 13 games on a 4th line (all big goals btw) and he played a big part in turning around that San Jose series but setting a physical tone. That's the extra stuff he brings to the table. Physicality, strong forecheck.

I would have preferred 3 years but the 3.2 AAV is about right for a unique player like him.
A: he's unique because his style of play is going extinct. Think shot blocking Dman.
B: he has 3 points in over almost 30 games and he is 29 year old.. he's not a clutch playoff guy, he's not even a good playoff guy. 1 point every 10 games in the playoffs is well below awful. Especially if you are turning 30 next

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can you name 10? I'm not saying there aren't more overpaid players in the league... but I am saying bottom 6 guys dont' make more than 3 million x 4. There are 600 guys in the NHL... so finding 10 should be easy... I'll even take 5.

Antoine Roussel, Jay Beagle, Brandon Tanev to name 3 right off the top of my head. Adam Lowry a little bit less. Hell, Ryan Reaves isn't far off although that's a 2 year deal.

You seem to have a very strong opinion on this and aren't interested in listening to other viewpoints so I'll bow out now.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Antoine Roussel, Jay Beagle, Brandon Tanev to name 3 right off the top of my head. Adam Lowry a little bit less. Hell, Ryan Reaves isn't far off although that's a 2 year deal.
Which one of those is playing 1RW every night this season?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Forwards making $3M-4M you could say are bottom 6 guys.

Boedker
Baertschi
Sobotka
Byron
Beagle
Clutterbuck
Eakin
Roussell
Gagner
Cogliano
Komarov
Z. Smith
Grabner
V. Rask
Cizikis
Sheary
Jenner
Filppula
B. Tanev
Namestnikov
D. Ryan
Compher
Connolly
Eller

That's ignoring guys who may be just under $3m or guys over $4M. And there is certainly a number of them.

Reactions: NeverForget06

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What line was he on tonight? Or tomorrow? Or the last 50 games?

What line was he on when he requested a trade out of Edmonton a year ago?

Agreed.. amazing bottom 6 player but he got paid to be McDavid's winger for the next 4 years.
And what's wrong with that? He's scored 24-22-46 in 79 games dating back to last season since joining McDavid's line. For 3.2M I have no issue having a guy who hits and fights play with McDavid if he's going to produce like that. You can have a Kassian type player on McDavid's line, but the LW position is where they should look for an upgrade for him. Regardless, McDavid is going to produce no matter who you put with him, and the fact that Kassian is proving to be an affordable fit makes this a good deal for Edmonton. It's also only a 1.25M raise for Kassian so it's not like Edmonton is taking on significantly more cap hit.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Boedker
Baertschi
Sobotka
Byron
Beagle
Clutterbuck
Eakin
Roussell
Gagner
Cogliano
Komarov
Z. Smith
Grabner
V. Rask
Cizikis
Sheary
Jenner
Filppula
B. Tanev
Namestnikov
D. Ryan
Compher
Connolly
Eller

That's ignoring guys who may be just under $3m or guys over $4M. And there is certainly a number of them.
How many of these guys would you want on the Oiler's as waiver wire pick ups? eg. we trade nothing for them and we have to pay their salaries?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Boedker
Baertschi
Sobotka
Byron
Beagle
Clutterbuck
Eakin
Roussell
Gagner
Cogliano
Komarov
Z. Smith
Grabner
V. Rask
Cizikis
Sheary
Jenner
Filppula
B. Tanev
Namestnikov
D. Ryan
Compher
Connolly
Eller

Also.. thanks for the list.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
How many of these guys would you want on the Oiler's as waiver wire pick ups? eg. we trade nothing for them and we have to pay their salaries?
Probably 6 or 7 of them.

Honestly though I don't like the contract Kassian just got. I think it's a big risk for a guy who brings a lot of "intangibles." But there's nothing particularly unique about a guy like him getting this kind of a contract. It usually doesn't work out.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Probably 6 or 7 of them.

Honestly though I don't like the contract Kassian just got. I think it's a big risk for a guy who brings a lot of "intangibles." But there's nothing particularly unique about a guy like him getting this kind of a contract. It usually doesn't work out.
So we kind of agree? That's all. I can't shake the image of 33 year old kassian with a 3.2 cap hit out of my head.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Impatient are we? Wait a couple months.
He's 29.. he's had a decade to prove himself. The only difference between this year and last year (when he requested a trade out and nobody wanted him) is being on McDavid's line. Think Chiasson, Maroon and Rattie.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's 29.. he's had a decade to prove himself. The only difference between this year and last year (when he requested a trade out and nobody wanted him) is being on McDavid's line. Think Chiasson, Maroon and Rattie.
I'd have taken Maroon on McDavid's wing at the same cap hit 2 seasons ago and his skating would have made him a much bigger risk at 33 than Kassian. Difference of opinion I suppose. When you have a guy with proven chemistry with McDavid and who brings this skillset which complements McDavid then imo it's a no brainer to keep him.

Sure, other teams might not want Kassian for 3.2M if he's playing on their 3rd line, but in Edmonton he won't be.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Beagle Roussel Sutter Erikkson Myers

That’s just from Vancouver

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kassian is a much better skater than the typical power forward who sees their play drop off into their 30's. If you can't recognize that then are you sure you've ever seen him play?
I never miss a game... Kassian can skate very fast in a straight line and punch a guy in the face really hard... he's a dinosaur.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd have taken Maroon on McDavid's wing at the same cap hit 2 seasons ago and his skating would have made him a much bigger risk at 33 than Kassian. Difference of opinion I suppose. When you have a guy with proven chemistry with McDavid and who brings this skillset which complements McDavid then imo it's a no brainer to keep him.

Sure, other teams might not want Kassian for 3.2M if he's playing on their 3rd line, but in Edmonton he won't be.
Everyone on McDavid's wing scores a lot... Kassian missed 2 games and Archibald got 3 or 4 points. Didn't miss a beat and went 2-0 .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad