Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Kassian signs extension with Oilers (4 years, $3.2M AAV)

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
So he's been in the Top 6 since he was 22 and for the last 3 seasons. Kassian's been in the Top 6 for half a season and is 29.

It took Vrana forever to crack that Top 6 for instance. Washington is much deeper at forward. Kassian would be a 4th liner for them.
I don't understand what you are arguing. You are discrediting Kassian's play because he's on a line with McDavid while ignoring that Tom Wilson's point totals began to rise once with was paired with Ovechkin. There is no difference in the situations.

Wilson/Kassian comparisons are because they are both physical players with some skill and play with superstar linemates.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't understand what you are arguing.
I'm pointing out that one player was 22 and has been doing it for 3 years and consistently getting in the 20 goal/40 point range. Point totals have gone up every season.

The other is 29 and has been doing it for 6 months and has never scored, in a decade, 20 goals or 30 points.

It's a big difference in age, points, goals and assists. Wilson is on a different level than Kassian. He's a legit top 6 player. If he was traded to another team he'd end up in their top 6 too. FTR... I'm not a Wilson fan or a Caps fan.

Kass is a fantastic bottom 6 player.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kassian's career playoff stats since I keep hearing how good he was in 2017!

upload_2020-1-31_14-8-23.png

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I'm all for the feel good part. I hope he wins a Masterton. Truly amazing. I love him on the Oilers and think he'd be real useful in a playoff run.

The part I can't stand is almost 13 million dollars, 4 years and first line minutes. He's our 1RW and I can't think of another team in the Pacific that would have Kassian as their 1RW or 2RW? Even with Hertl out and the Sharks needing offensive help, I just can't picture Kassian in their top 6 or the struggling Duck's top 6. I can't even think of one playoff team in the entire NHL where Zack is on the top line.

If we'd signed Kassian for 2 million for a couple of years I'd be thrilled.

We just called up Benson today, I think he'd be a much better fit on line 1 with Neal and McDavid. He loves to pass and Neal loves to shoot and Connor wants the puck at all times. Benson makes less than a million. I would've rather tried him there before we signed Kassian. Archibald was just as (if not more) effective a scorer on McDavid's line. So was Chiasson. Once Kassian gets bounced from that first line he'll be a highly overpaid/overtermed bottom 6 player in his 30's. This is a trademark of both Chia and cap era Holland.

I also can't figure out why we had to sign Kassian yesterday? What was the rush?

A lot of this just seems like arm chair GM to me. You cant imagine him being 1rw on any team in the Pacific because teams in the pacific dont have such poor wing depth. Same really goes for other playoff teams... our depth is that bad.

What's the hang up over 1.2 million? It's not going to make or break the cap structure.

Benson should have made the team out of camp, and he might have had a shot at some first line time like Archie. He didnt, so theres no point spinning scenarios around those situations. Say he does find some success anyways, we just dont sign Kassian and hope that Benson continues to stick? Why risk that, we have a decent sample size that shows kassian works with that line. People condemn the fact that we have bad wingers, but it's not like our prospects haven't had ample opportunity to show up and play for the big club. Easier to have these conversations when the youngsters stop failing to take the next step. Till then, it's not bad that Kassian is our 1rw because he sucks, it's bad that with so many others options, none are better than him.

No, once he gets bounced from that line he will be paid average second line money. You're saying it's first line or bottom 6? I disagree. The reason hes on the first line is because we have nothing to put there instead, so we certainly have nothing to bump him off the second line.

This is not even close to a Chia special, he signed russell for 4m and gave him trade protection. Not remotely similar.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Money well spent. I'm glad he got a decent extension, and it doesnt cripple Edmonton.

I mean, that's a lost opportunity, coming from a rival fan, but eh, still a good signing.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
A lot of this just seems like arm chair GM to me. You cant imagine him being 1rw on any team in the Pacific because teams in the pacific dont have such poor wing depth. Same really goes for other playoff teams... our depth is that bad.

What's the hang up over 1.2 million? It's not going to make or break the cap structure.

Benson should have made the team out of camp, and he might have had a shot at some first line time like Archie. He didnt, so theres no point spinning scenarios around those situations. Say he does find some success anyways, we just dont sign Kassian and hope that Benson continues to stick? Why risk that, we have a decent sample size that shows kassian works with that line. People condemn the fact that we have bad wingers, but it's not like our prospects haven't had ample opportunity to show up and play for the big club. Easier to have these conversations when the youngsters stop failing to take the next step. Till then, it's not bad that Kassian is our 1rw because he sucks, it's bad that with so many others options, none are better than him.

No, once he gets bounced from that line he will be paid average second line money. You're saying it's first line or bottom 6? I disagree. The reason hes on the first line is because we have nothing to put there instead, so we certainly have nothing to bump him off the second line.

This is not even close to a Chia special, he signed russell for 4m and gave him trade protection. Not remotely similar.
Agree.. we have awful depth. Have for a long time.

My handup is over 3.2 million x 4 years. Too high a price and too long a term.

Neal is now hurt.. Benson hopefully has a golden opportunity on line 1.

Our prospects have been a big part of our success this year. Bear solidified our Top 4. Yamamoto gave us a real second line that has been clicking.. our current winning ways coincide with Yamamoto joining Drai/RNH.

I think you meant in general.. but if they moved Kassian from line 1.. no way do they move one of RNH/Drai/Yam to the 3rd line to make room for him there. He's first line with connor or third line. My dream would be to have Kass on line 3 with Chiasson and Has and Benson on line 1.

Guys I'd rather see in Top 6 over Kassian.. .Benson, Yamoto and Jesse P.

FTR.. not a big fan of Neal in the Top 6 either. To me our Top 6 is two supernova's, an exceptional RNH, a promising rookie and 2 very replaceable players.

Gotta ask.. you said: People condemn the fact that we have bad wingers, but it's not like our prospects haven't had ample opportunity to show up and play for the big club.

Which prospects and what opportunities have they had?

Riser

Jan 30, 2020
So much hyperbole in this thread...

The AAV is fine based on where Kassian currently plays. Especially when many pundits were estimating in the low 4's prior to the deal. The "stats are everything" crowd are unable to understand intangibles.

The term is probably a year longer then it should be but nothing is perfect.

All this fuss is over nothing.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Tom Wilson has been playing on a line with Ovechkin and one of Kuznetsov/Backstrom for the past three seasons. It's the exact same situation as what's happening now with Kassian and McDavid.

Tom Wilson elevates Ovechkin and Backstrom almost as much as they elevate him, it's no coincidence that they broke through in the playoffs with him as top line RW after failing with Brouwer, Kozlov, Semin, Knuble, Williams, Ward and god knows how many other they tried over the years. He has legit 50-60 point talent and a much better feel for game management situations than Kassian, hell he draws penalties better than Tkachuk and is a top PKer himself. I assume Kassian is a good enough fighter but Wilson has been the top fighter in the league since entering aside from Reaves

Kassian can skate well and his physicality is nice to have when he's actually using it to help his team and not getting punked, but he's not that much better at hockey than Chiasson if at all which is all you need playing as a third wheel with McDavid. But put a Garnet Hathaway there and he can do what Kassian is doing

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Tom Wilson elevates Ovechkin and Backstrom almost as much as they elevate him, it's no coincidence that they broke through in the playoffs with him as top line RW after failing with Brouwer, Kozlov, Semin, Knuble, Williams, Ward and god knows how many other they tried over the years. He has legit 50-60 point talent and a much better feel for game management situations than Kassian, hell he draws penalties better than Tkachuk and is a top PKer himself. I assume Kassian is a good enough fighter but Wilson has been the top fighter in the league since entering aside from Reaves

Kassian can skate well and his physicality is nice to have when he's actually using it to help his team and not getting punked, but he's not that much better at hockey than Chiasson if at all which is all you need playing as a third wheel with McDavid. But put a Garnet Hathaway there and he can do what Kassian is doing
Wilson is a better player than Kassian.

I think you are selling Kassian way short, re: bolded. He's better than Chiasson and took his spot last season. Hathaway is a career 4th liner.

Last edited:

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Wilson is a better player than Kassian.

I think you are selling Kassian way short, re: bolded. He's better than Chiasson and took his spot last season. Hathaway is a career 4th liner.

Hathaway is a good skater with decent puck skills while being on pace for about the same offense Kassian was last year strictly playing 4th line/PK situations. The biggest difference between them is Kassian is bigger and playing with McDavid.

Kassian is a nice player to have in your top 6 if you can make it work from a physical standpoint, it's just that Oilers and Penguins are probably the only 2 teams that can do that.

I'd take him on the caps over Panik very easily at this contract, probably over Hagelin too but someone would need to kill his penalties

Last edited:
Reactions: TFHockey

Riser

Jan 30, 2020
No doubt Kassian is a poor mans Wilson but let's not pretend both don't benefit significantly from their linemates. Third liners when not playing on a line with superstars.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Kassian is a streaky player, but he's got good skating ability and can bring a physical element. The nice thing about a player like that is that he can go up and down the lineup and have a place.

Reactions: McFlyingV

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
Top 9 player with skill that can play up and down the lineup. He can play skilled, or gritty games. He can pk and pp.

Term is ok, and average is good. Basically it's Ferland without the injury history.

Not sure why people would bag this. Good job Holland.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

He kinda is though, a better player than Chiasson. He has significantly better hands and is a far better play maker than Chiasson along with more physicality, fighting, and obviously significantly better skating.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Kassian is our 1rw and just got a contract to match that at the age of 29. The second he goes back to the bottom 6 he will be overpaid and impossible to trade. He is definitely not being paid like a guy who has never scored 30 points in his entire career.
He also isn't paid like a 1st liner despite you saying so. He is paid like a good 3rd liner. Which is what he is.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He also isn't paid like a 1st liner despite you saying so. He is paid like a good 3rd liner. Which is what he is.
What line was he on tonight? Or tomorrow? Or the last 50 games?

What line was he on when he requested a trade out of Edmonton a year ago?

Agreed.. amazing bottom 6 player but he got paid to be McDavid's winger for the next 4 years.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What line was he on tonight? Or tomorrow? Or the last 50 games?

What line was he on when he requested a trade out of Edmonton a year ago?

Agreed.. amazing bottom 6 player but he got paid to be McDavid's winger for the next 4 years.

3rd liners get paid $3M+ in todays' NHL.
He's not paid as a top line winger, he's paid as a 3rd liner. Him putting up 20 goals or so on the McDavid line is a bonus considering everything else he brings to the table.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
3rd liners get paid $3M+ in todays' NHL.
He's not paid as a top line winger, he's paid as a 3rd liner. Him putting up 20 goals or so on the McDavid line is a bonus considering everything else he brings to the table.
A: he brings nothing to the table. Tonight's game was insane.. he got 0 PIM. He did nothing.
B: he's never scored 20 goals or got 30 points in his life.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
A: he brings nothing to the table. Tonight's game was insane.. he got 0 PIM. He did nothing.
B: he's never scored 20 goals or got 30 points in his life.

He has 14 goals in 46 games, he's pacing for 20 or more and clearly you know nothing about the player if you think he brings nothing to the table when he isn't scoring.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He is a good 3rd liner.

He plays on the first line every single night.

12 million for a third liner over 4 years from the age of 29 to 33 is ridiculous.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He has 14 goals in 46 games, he's pacing for 20 or more and clearly you know nothing about the player if you think he brings nothing to the table when he isn't scoring.
I know a lot about the player.. I've even posted his playoff and career stats...

He's a career 20 to 29 guy. He just got a 4 year extension.

If he's a tough guy and has 'grit'... he did nothing tonight to deter all the fights. In the last game Gio almost decapitated McDavid. Tkachuk took a 2 handed swing at Drai. He didn't deter either play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad