Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Kassian signs extension with Oilers (4 years, $3.2M AAV)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Really looking forward to some of that Kassian speed, 'ilk' and 'other qualities' to show up in the next 2-3 weeks while Connor is out. He has 1 point since signing 6 games ago and that was playing with Connor.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Well, that is a deal that looks worst and worst by the day. Not that it wasn't predictable.

4 points in his last 15 games.

Playing like an average 4th line plug, but kicking people with his skate in the process. 4 more years, 4 more years!

Reactions: FreeMcdavid

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Well, that is a deal that looks worst and worst by the day. Not that it wasn't predictable.

Playing like an average 4th line plug, but kicking people with his skate in the process. 4 more years, 4 more years!

Oh Lighten up, geez.

The Oilers won't live or die by the Kassian contract.

I am guessing 6 games.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Oh Lighten up, geez.

The Oilers won't live or die by the Kassian contract.

I am guessing 6 games.
Of all teams, I think Edmonton is the one that most can't afford paying 3 millions+ to a 4th line winger.

My bold prediction is they'll have to pay someone to take him/buy him out before his deal is over.

You got served the Ken Holland special; over paying to re-sign non-core players to long term deals.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Of all teams, I think Edmonton is the one that most can't afford paying 3 millions+ to a 4th line winger.

My bold prediction is they'll have to pay someone to take him/buy him out before his deal is over.

You got served the Ken Holland special; over paying to re-sign non-core players to long term deals.

Kassian isn't a 4th liner, that's hyperbole. He can move up and down the line up filling in where needed. He isn't a long term solution on the top line obviously. However I'd be happy if he were playing on the 3rd getting paid what he is paid. He doesn't have an NTC/NMC. This isn't a big deal.

If you think Edmonton has the worst cap situation in the league you need to take a look at Cap Friendly. There are several others who have long term contracts with older players which are hurting them.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Good post. These are the types of players you don't sign for more than a year or two. I also had similar conversations with Oiler fans about Maroon. They were wanting to pay him 4 x 4.5 before he left.

Those goals that these guys score are not all their goals. Half of them are McDavids goals. That is why McDavid is worth his money. These Kassian/Maroon type plugs are all over the league and would line up to take a short term contract and then shop "their 25 goal season" at the end of it.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
kassian was a career... coach killer... a chronic underachiever... barely better than waiver wire folder as he bounced around 4 organizations before age 25...

his first couple years in Edmonton... he showed a few heart beats... and of course he was playing for his first ufa contract… theres no doubt he is an impressive physical specimen with size and speed... and he has some talent to play hockey too

then out of desperation Edmonton tried him with McDavid... they had no one else... and he got the same maroon/chiason bump they did too. but hes actually a better overall talent then they are...

talent wise... he could actually be worth the money if he played harder... more effort... more smarts... more focus...

but nothing in his career indicates he is like that...

the reality is... all his history shows us hes a loose cannon inconsistent flake. the likelihood that he would take his financial security and just go bust was always very high.

sadly the oiler locker room is one of the 2-3 weakest in the league and any chance that there would be leadership there to whip kassian into shape was nil

last thing this team needed was to sign another overpaid bust.

thought Holland was smarter than that... almost feels like this was a decesion made above him

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019

Yep i said it on page 1, you dont want to give this guy long term and have him get comfortable, He is a loose cannon that will cost the Oilers a lot of games and headaches.

Looking like a bad contract and it hasnt even started yet!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad