Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Kassian signs extension with Oilers (4 years, $3.2M AAV)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So because he isn't the best he isn't great at something?
What's he great at?

a decade in the league... Not once 30 points.

Requested a trade put last season... No takers.

What does he do with Mcdavid that Archibald didn't? Or chiasson? Or maroon?

Our biggest competitive advantage is that you and I are 30 point guys playing with Connor

The only guy that took a discount to play with Connor was Connor.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
What's he great at?

Our biggest competitive advantage is that you and I are 30 point guys playing with Connor

It's about finding and signing players to cheap/decent contracts to play with star players. Similar to Pittsburgh. Kassian's contract is very reasonable, movable if need be and when it ends he will only be 33.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It's about finding and signing players to cheap/decent contracts to play with star players. Similar to Pittsburgh. Kassian's contract is very reasonable, movable if need be and when it ends he will only be 33.
A: he was moveable before a 4 year overpay into his 32nd year
B: he's not easily movable anymore, another Oiler albatross
C: How was he better than Chiasson, Archibland or Maroon in that spot?
D: Why do you think he'd be better than Benson in that spot? His next 4 years cost 4 to 5 million. Zack's cost 12 million plus
E: This contract is far from reasonable. Klefbom was reasonable. Jones is reasonable. This is an overpay in term an dollars.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
A: he was moveable before a 4 year overpay into his 32nd year
B: he's not easily movable anymore, another Oiler albatross
C: How was he better than Chiasson, Archibland or Maroon in that spot?
D: Why do you think he'd be better than Benson in that spot? His next 4 years cost 4 to 5 million. Zack's cost 12 million plus
E: This contract is far from reasonable. Klefbom was reasonable. Jones is reasonable. This is an overpay in term an dollars.
Well, for one, Benson is a left winger. And you're comparing a player on his ELC with a pending UFA (as you've done with Klefbom & Jones.)

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Well, for one, Benson is a left winger. And you're comparing a player on his ELC with a pending UFA (as you've done with Klefbom & Jones.)
Yeah those kinds of players can have a higher ceiling and always cost less. That's exactly what we need on this team. We are cap poor.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think the poster was just questioning your logical fallacy. It seems to be a theme.
I've been doing the same thing ... I can't believe people are so in love with Kassian and this contract. Remember my lack of logic in the next 4 years when he's in the bottom 6 and getting 20 points a season and we can't trade him because he's in his 30's and has too long a term and cap hit.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I've been doing the same thing ... I can't believe people are so in love with Kassian and this contract. Remember my lack of logic in the next 4 years when he's in the bottom 6 and getting 20 points a season and we can't trade him because he's in his 30's and has too long a term and cap hit.
He essentially is doing what Lucic was supposed to do and now it will be half the price of Lucic.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
He essentially is doing what Lucic was supposed to do and now it will be half the price of Lucic.
I was thoroughly against the Lucic signing too.. that contract is awful. Maroon, at the time, was much better at being Lucic than Lucic was too.

Having said that... Lucic has gotten more than 29 points several times in his life. I've highlihgted all the seasons that Lucic had going into his contract extension that were better than Kassian's career high of 29 points (which he had going into his contract extension):

upload_2020-2-2_12-24-7.png

Note: I highlihgted the 27 points because it was a shortened NHL season and he was on his usual 50 point pace (48). Lucic's rookie season was better than all but 2 of Kassians entire career.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
What's he great at?

Who do you think McDavid and Draisaitl feel more confident in playing with when the going gets rough down the stretch in key games and into the playoffs: Kassian, Archibald or Chiasson? Even if he's not playing on their line, do you not think they'd rather have him in the lineup? How many guys have Kassian's mix of toughness, fighting, hitting, forechecking, and skating ability, plus the knack for contributing offensively? He's no star player, and that's why he didn't get paid 6+ million per year salary.

How much do you think he's worth? Is he just utter trash and useless to you? Trying to nail down your position on this.

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Agree.. we have awful depth. Have for a long time.

My handup is over 3.2 million x 4 years. Too high a price and too long a term.

Neal is now hurt.. Benson hopefully has a golden opportunity on line 1.

Our prospects have been a big part of our success this year. Bear solidified our Top 4. Yamamoto gave us a real second line that has been clicking.. our current winning ways coincide with Yamamoto joining Drai/RNH.

I think you meant in general.. but if they moved Kassian from line 1.. no way do they move one of RNH/Drai/Yam to the 3rd line to make room for him there. He's first line with connor or third line. My dream would be to have Kass on line 3 with Chiasson and Has and Benson on line 1.

Guys I'd rather see in Top 6 over Kassian.. .Benson, Yamoto and Jesse P.

FTR.. not a big fan of Neal in the Top 6 either. To me our Top 6 is two supernova's, an exceptional RNH, a promising rookie and 2 very replaceable players.

Gotta ask.. you said: People condemn the fact that we have bad wingers, but it's not like our prospects haven't had ample opportunity to show up and play for the big club.

Which prospects and what opportunities have they had?

JP, Benson, Yams (minus his injury - he's showing up now), McLeod, etc. All these guys get a shot in training camp and never bring it. JP had 100 games to do something, never did. You get teams like the blues, after 2 years their youngsters actually start pushing for spots, and they can afford to leave their bad wingers lower in the depth charts. It's the exact same issue the Flames have had with their Centre position. They just can't get anyone to step up as a legitimate 2c, even their 1c is not what you really need in the NHL. Sure, training camp isn't a big shot, but GM's don't want to waste ELC and RFA years, so if you can't make enough of a statement in training camp to get your real 10 game tryout in season, then I got no sympathy for you.

Yam has only existed for 11 games, he might cement himself there, or he might fizzle out at the start of next year and we are back where we were.

No one is a fan of Neal in the top 6, but that's the price we pay for Lucic laying an egg and having a NMC. I don't disagree they haven't been a big part of success this year, but that's only 50ish games and most of it was Bear. Yam has been up for 11. Persson what, 20? The exact same type of issue happened when we made the playoffs in 2017, Chiarelli thought we were set. Then Talbot regressed and he started fumbling for spare parts, eventually signing bad contracts and making bad gambles that didn't pay off. Few years later and we have no depth, no money. It seems at least, Holland is not going to make a blind bet on a 20-50 game sample sizes, thus signing Kass. You know what you get with Kass, if the other guys stick and push him down then it's just gravy. $3.2 million isn't going to break our cap, Russell is a worse player, makes more, contributes less, and has trade protection. We don't even have to protect Kass in the draft, so if Seattle takes him, then you don't even have anything to disappointed about.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
What's he great at?

I'm not saying he's Ron Francis, but he's had a couple of amazing passing plays to McDavid which were converted into goals this year. Also Kassian skates very well, stays healthy (I imagine Arichbald will have a hard time playing 70 games a year with the insane pace he plays at given his small stature.) hits harder and it's been dubbed by Sportsnet announcers as the emotional leader of the team.

To be all that and a productive player while playing with McDavid I'll happily take that for 3.2M, thank you very much!

Can you name 10? I'm not saying there aren't more overpaid players in the league... but I am saying bottom 6 guys dont' make more than 3 million x 4. There are 600 guys in the NHL... so finding 10 should be easy... I'll even take 5.

First before I go through every team I think I'll find 5. Donno about 10. One thing I recognise is that teams are spending less money on their bottoms 6 than before. I think the salaries used to be a bit more balanced but more teams are blowing big money on having a couple of stars and the guys at the bottom of the depth chart get offered a lot less money or else screw off to Europe.

A lot of these guys were recognized as 3rd liners when they signed these contracts and their contracts go for several years.

Michael Frolik
Derek Ryan
Zack Smith
J.T Compher
Andrew Cogliano
Darren Helm
Justin Abdelkater <<< --- Let's omit that one because everyone knew he wasn't worth it the day he signed it when the cap was even lower than it was today which makes it all the more worse.
Sam Gagner<<< --- Omit. We know he's not worth it. Before this year he couldn't hold a job in the NHL.
Kassian <<< ---Omit. Not till next year.
Victor Rask
Kyle Turris.... << --- Omit. He's not supposed to be a 3rd liner.
Nick Bonino
Wayne Simmonds <<-- Yes he is a 3rd liner. He's only been productive on the PP in the past, correct?
Casey Cizikas
Leo Komarov
Mikkel Boekder
Vladislav Namestikov << --- Omit. He wasn't supposed to be this bad.
Brandon Tanev
Tyler Bozak
Alex Kerfoot <<< --- Might turn into a fringe top 6'er
Brandon Sutter
Antoine Roussel
Jay Beagle
Cody Eakin
Lars Eller << --- Am I under-appreciating him?

Wow. That list got pretty long.
Kassian contract is awesome. He's been a 3rd liner all his career, but McDavid has turned him into a solid productive player.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I was thoroughly against the Lucic signing too.. that contract is awful. Maroon, at the time, was much better at being Lucic than Lucic was too.

Having said that... Lucic has gotten more than 29 points several times in his life. I've highlihgted all the seasons that Lucic had going into his contract extension that were better than Kassian's career high of 29 points (which he had going into his contract extension):

View attachment 315629

Note: I highlihgted the 27 points because it was a shortened NHL season and he was on his usual 50 point pace (48). Lucic's rookie season was better than all but 2 of Kassians entire career.
So, which pending UFA RW would you have signed, instead of Kassian? ... and their upcoming cap hit would have to be similar or less than Kassian.

HERE is the list.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Was hoping for a bit lower AAV, but quite happy with this signing. I bet he’d get more on the open market.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
So, which pending UFA RW would you have signed, instead of Kassian? ... and their upcoming cap hit would have to be similar or less than Kassian.

HERE is the list.
I don't think the UFA route is the way to build a team. I don't want us to go big game hunting. We have phenomenal core pieces locked in.

Going back pre Kassian Signing...

A: I want to see Benson get games in the Top 6. I literally have no clue what more he has to do to get a start on the big club or what management doesn't like about him?
B: if he's not good enough after getting a legit Top 6 chance then try and trade for Kapanan, Johnnson, Athanasiou using some of our trade chips (Kassian was a great chip prior to contract, Larsson, Jesse P). No, I'm not saying get all 3 or trade all 3. I'm very high on trading for Kapanan. I'd hate to lose Larsson but I would do it. If Kassian could've been traded involved in a trade for him I would've been ecstatic.
C: going into next year I fully expect Benson, Bouch, Yamamoto as full timer's.
D: I still think we should try to mend fences with Jesse and bring him back after this season.

The only scenario I wanted Kassian back was in the bottom 6 as I do think he's excellent there and him and Chiasson could make for a great 3rd line with Gagner or Has.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What's he great at?

Great speed for a big man, great physicality, above average hands, good shot. Not once 30 points from the bottom six? Damn him, he's awful. Your expectations are far too high for 3.2 million. You aren't getting a legitimate top six scorer in free agency anymore.

I like Archibald, but it was a 3 game sample size, and he doesn't have Kassian's size or intimidation factor. Chaisson had a hot 30 games, and has since done little even when with Connor. Maroon is basically done as an NHL'er because he was slow as hell, Kassian is fast for a bigger guy so that isn't an issue.

You need to look at more than his point totals while playing without McDavid. Your view of this is very simple and one dimensional.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I don't think the UFA route is the way to build a team. I don't want us to go big game hunting. We have phenomenal core pieces locked in.

Going back pre Kassian Signing...

A: I want to see Benson get games in the Top 6. I literally have no clue what more he has to do to get a start on the big club or what management doesn't like about him?
B: if he's not good enough after getting a legit Top 6 chance then try and trade for Kapanan, Johnnson, Athanasiou using some of our trade chips (Kassian was a great chip prior to contract, Larsson, Jesse P). No, I'm not saying get all 3 or trade all 3. I'm very high on trading for Kapanan. I'd hate to lose Larsson but I would do it. If Kassian could've been traded involved in a trade for him I would've been ecstatic.
C: going into next year I fully expect Benson, Bouch, Yamamoto as full timer's.
D: I still think we should try to mend fences with Jesse and bring him back after this season.

The only scenario I wanted Kassian back was in the bottom 6 as I do think he's excellent there and him and Chiasson could make for a great 3rd line with Gagner or Has.

Just a question, how can you hold a trade request from Kassian against him when the last coach wasn't giving him anything other than 4th line minutes, but are okay with trying to mend fences with Pulujarvi who also asked for a trade and has publicly stated he doesn't want to be here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad