Confirmed Trade: [EDM/DET] Andreas Athanasiou, Ryan Kuffner to Oilers for Sam Gagner (10%), 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Fingers crossed we can have better than ~0.850 sav% with AA on the ice in Edmonton like he was getting in Detroit. But time will tell. He has the worst PDO in the NHL for guys that played 500+ mins. 0.916.

PDO in his first 4 seasons:

But I guess he made a deal with the devil last offseason to ensure goalies let in a goal every 6-7 shots when he's on the ice and that'll last for the rest of his career now.

Reactions: oilynutz

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Of all the targets on deadline day, Careful Kenny goes with what he knows. A fairly low-grade player on one of the worst rosters in NHL history.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Thing is. Edmonton don't need an all-star on McDavid's wing. But, someone who keeps up. Athanasiou will do that and more, and frankly doesn't even need to touch the puck with his stick, as long as he keeps up the pace, McDavid can just bank of shots via the road runner for goals.

DakrSnooze

Aug 27, 2011
Whitehorse
I think they said it recently, but if his shooting percentage was on his career averages he would be on pace for 27 goals...

I wouldn't worry about AA's ability to put the puck in the net. The guy is a pretty impressive offensive weapon when he cares and I have a feeling he is going to care a little more at least initially. It is the details of AA's game that have left a ton to be desired. I was ready to turn the page, but the skillset isn't the problem, guy has a ton of talent.

Thanks for the scouting report. I'm fine with the trade and hope that you guys hit on at least one of the picks coming back your way.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fingers crossed we can have better than ~0.850 sav% with AA on the ice in Edmonton like he was getting in Detroit. But time will tell. He has the worst PDO in the NHL for guys that played 500+ mins. 0.916.

But I guess he made a deal with the devil last offseason to ensure goalies let in a goal every 6-7 shots when he's on the ice and that'll last for the rest of his career now.

It's like another James Neal trade. One bad season isn't the best indicator vs. multiple good ones.

People should use their brains for a moment. Just common sense.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
He'll fit in well for the Oilers but two 2nds is a lot
well one can argue that one 2nd is for Gagner's cap dump + Kufner(sp?)
the other for AA.

Don't really care about AA but the fact Holland was able to trade Gagner, Lucic and Brodziak contracts in one season is marvelous.

Lucic, Gagner, Brodziak, 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 2nd for Ennis, Green, AA, Neal and Kufner.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
The Oilers finally trying to add speed to compliment McDavid. I guess after trying everything else they finally decided to try the blatantly obvious.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Cause we're not bringing him in to be a defensive forward?

A player who thinks offense first, second, and third is the worst +/- on the worst team in the league, that's shocking to you? Yet he wasn't that awful last year, or the year before, it's almost like players playing on the worst team have stats that suffer, as Edmonton is VERY well aware of.

We're bringing him in to try and find a fit with McDavid and hopefully score another 30 goals, not to play a checking role.
With better coaching he will be much better in Edmonton.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thanks for the scouting report. I'm fine with the trade and hope that you guys hit on at least one of the picks coming back your way.

He will provide plenty of secondary scoring, you can move him up and down lines 1-3. I think they will find him a spot. He doesn't really understand a lick of how to play D, but he is a weapon and he provides depth. I really understand why Holland went after him, he knows what he can provide and he is rewarding his two superstars with adding to the team.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
You guys got a dynamic player that is fast as heck and the possibility of him playing with a world class talent who is even faster in McDavid is mind blowing. Hope this works out for you guys wish us luck that we can pull some more Bertuzzi's and Hronek's out of these picks.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I really don’t know what is so hard about reading. He said “good-to-very-good shot and an extremely good penalty differential.” These are two different things. You know, when somebody says “this guy has a good shot, he can really shoot the puck”...that’s what he means by very good shot.
Why are so many people having problems with that tweet I literally read it right the first time lmao.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Wait, are you guys trolling?

Read the following sentences;

He has good to very good skating

He has good to very good hands

He has a good to very good shot

Am I the one reading it wrong? He’s talking about a quality or skill that AA possesses. Idk why when posting that graphic but seems like he is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad