Confirmed Trade: [EDM/DET] Andreas Athanasiou, Ryan Kuffner to Oilers for Sam Gagner (10%), 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It says Holland is still Holland. He trades for what he knows. Look at his last 10 years. He brought back players that left in free agency, took on established vets on their last legs, and trade for players he had lost in the past.

Examples (non-exhaustive): Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Quincey, Osgood

My fear with Holland as well. Even in limited time hes brought back Jurco and Sheahan. I dont mind it in this circumstance with Green and AA- but no more after this lol.

Everybody saying 2 seconds is a lot to pay needs to give their head a shake. History proves that a player drafted in the second round has less than a 25% chance of ever playing in the NHL. I'll send those picks with Gagner (who was done as an oiler this year anyways, and now we get his cap hit back) to Detroit for Athanasiou and Kuffner every day of the week.

2nds get massively overrated by fans. After the mid 2nd(~), the difference in % chance of that player turning out vs a 4th/5th round pick is pretty negligible. But fans/GMs still value 2nds way higher than such. Id much rather give 2 2nds or even 3, vs a 1st round pick

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Great post, thanks for taking the time. AA (IMO) is a top 6 player with holes in his game, and that is fine. He does some things at a high level, others at a low level. The Oilers arent looking for a top 6 player with all boxes checked, and dont have the assets/cap space to add such a player

The bolded are what interest me the most. AA is joining a team who scores a fair amount off the rush. The Oilers PP is also red hot this year, so if he can draw penalties, thats great. However, McDavid seems to get a fraction of the calls he should- the refs arent going to call 10 PPs a game for the same player. So itll be interesting to see how they treat AA. I generally dont complain about the refs, and do think Oilers get a fair amount of calls their way as well, but oh man does McDavid get clung on to in order to slow him down and the refs dont call it much

AA draws penalties.

That poster is pretty well known as the biggest AA fan we have on the board.

AA does some things very well, I think you guys/gals will be happy with what he brings. There are infuriating moments though to be sure, hopefully less of them for you in Edmonton versus what we saw in Detroit.

By the way the reason his defensive analytics are better this year is the stapling to better defensive players, for as much as his biggest fans in Detroit like to ignore this, the issue of how to cover up AA has been also at play for the coaches. They would like him stapled to Larkin and it hasn't happened often because when you see it his inability to play defense disrupts the line as Larkin is deployed against the best line on the other team. Part of why I question if he ultimately does make it on McDavid's wing. Instead they have used him with mass defensive help to try to hit people in transition. People have hated those lineups but that was the idea get him down the lineup versus worse d-man and checkers, he is pretty lethal at times in that role. We will see, I think you will get the best version of him for a little bit and maybe he will defer to McDavid or Draisaitl, he should... Curious to see how it turn out. It was time to move on for Detroit.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He was signed out of Princeton last year as a College UFA.

He works hard, has a decent shot though he will struggle to be a NHL player.

Good depth guy for the AHL, but he has been in and out of the lineup in Grand Rapids at times.

I thought he improved a lot last year to this year, but he has a long ways to go. Competes hard, smart guy and I don't think he will ever cheat you on effort, just not sure there is enough talent there to climb out of the AHL.

cool thanks, feel like he is possibly getting over looked a bit.

Score & send a message: How Ryan Kuffner can impact Detroit Red Wings

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
weird. Scouting reports say he’s a very strong skater...

Yeah another Wings fan chiming in... skating is not his strength, it's his shot, and he's not a good enough offensive driver to spend enough time in the o-zone instead of defending to get it off much

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
weird. Scouting reports say he’s a very strong skater...

I think he has a decent top end, I think his start and stop stuff could use some work which is extremely important at the NHL. You don't glide often at the NHL level so where he can get top speed and loop around at decent pace doesn't do much for his overall game. I don't think skating holds Kuffner back in a massive way, I think it is more the overall talent package, his skating is passable though he doesn't gain much separation because of the first few steps and his above average shot suffers to get as much use as it should because of that. I like that he answered that by driving more to the net and battling more on the boards, points to him being a smart guy that takes coaching. I just am not sure there is much more to get out of what he is, I wish him luck though.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Good luck to the Oilers... they went and picked two real winners in Green and AA lol

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think he has a decent top end, I think his start and stop stuff could use some work which is extremely important at the NHL. You don't glide often at the NHL level so where he can get top speed and loop around at decent pace doesn't do much for his overall game. I don't think skating holds Kuffner back in a massive way, I think it is more the overall talent package, his skating is passable though he doesn't gain much separation because of the first few steps and his above average shot suffers to get as much use as it should because of that. I like that he answered that by driving more to the net and battling more on the boards, points to him being a smart guy that takes coaching. I just am not sure there is much more to get out of what he is, I wish him luck though.

THe only time I've ever liked Kuffner in a Wings uniform was the prospect tournament, when he showed a decent shot and a goal scorer's willingness to use it.
But in the NHL and AHL, he just never gets a chance to use it.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

makes a lot of sense. :dm:Thanks.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
It's been said many times before, but McDavid doesn't need a speedster on his line to be successful, he tends to not have much trouble buying the extra time necessary for a slower player to get in position, what he needs is a guy who is smart enough to know what the right play is when they get in position, also a player who doesn't kill possession tends to be quite beneficial.
Mcdavid doesn’t need anyone on his line to be successful, he played a heck of a game last night with 2 boat anchors in Chiasson and Gagner. He makes everyone around him better, and he draws the entire team to him. If it wasn’t for those 2 players cap hits and being in Edmonton, both of those players are either 4th line FWD or not even in the lineup. AA is a legit NHL player, and top 6F at that. Who’s the last legit top 6 FWD to come into Edmonton and play with Mcdavid and have that title before hand? Maroon was barely a bottom 6FWD when he came over, Kassian was almost bounced from the league but found a niche there last season, Chiasson had 22 last year mainly because of Mcdavid. Heck even Ty Rattie looked like an NHL player up there, Yakupov had a solid stretch playing with Mcdavid before getting bounced from the league.

The other players to have found actual long term real success with Mcdavid? Nugent-Hopkins and Leon Draisaitl, virtually the only 2 competent, legit NHL top 6 FWD, to play on his line in the last 3 seasons.

The oilers had 8, 8!, 2 on 1 plays in the second period of last nights game against LA. AA and Mcdavid on the transition is going to be a nightmare.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
You seem very confused about this. No, just a player with good sense of where to be to score. Because McDavid is good enough to do the rest.

AA is basically McDavid's version of Pascal Dupuis when he played with Crosby. Maybe that analogy will help.

(I wish Sid had a Draisaitl)

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Oilers improved exponentially this trade deadline. Hate to say it as a Flames fan but this trade is a big win for them.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I've always thought Mantha was the player on the Wings that would really shine with McDavid, I'm excited to see what AA can do wtih him, but I don't think just because AA is super fast that he's going to be a lock to be amazing with McDavid, he has quite a few deficiencies to his overall hockey game.

Reactions: Panda Bear

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think Holland and Tippett have a specific role in mind for AA and Holland believes they can get him to do what he needs to in that role.

The fact that he would trade for him after the way his last contract negotiation went says a lot.

Well his LAST contract negotiation went smooth as butter and happened with so little fanfare that most people still erroneously think of negotiations that happened TWO contracts ago.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The writing was on the wall for Athanasiou to get lost before this season even started. Talented but frustrating to the point where Yzerman just didn't want the headache.

A first would be nice but I'm more than happy with a pair of seconds.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad