Confirmed Trade: [EDM/DET] Andreas Athanasiou, Ryan Kuffner to Oilers for Sam Gagner (10%), 2020 2nd, 2021 2nd

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
High upside potential for the oilers. For the wings it was time to move on. Oilers can get some value back by trading his rights if it doesn’t work out.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Seems like a win win, we get a potential 30+ goal scorer with Connor. Detroit nabs a couple decent picks that Yzerman will surely turn into a Kucherov and Point or something.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Athanasiou will be much better than whatever he displayed on the Red Wings, but holy smokes trading two 2nd rounders for an inferior Grabner is hilarious. Sure him and McDavid will be the fastest duo in the league, but won't mean much when AA won't be able to capitalise. This is a fairy trade for the Oilers.

bronco73

The-omb Oilers Forum
Apr 10, 2012
Lethbridge, Alberta
Athanasiou will be much better than whatever he displayed on the Red Wings, but holy smokes trading two 2nd rounders for an inferior Grabner is hilarious. Sure him and McDavid will be the fastest duo in the league, but won't mean much when AA won't be able to capitalise. This is a fairy trade for the Oilers.
Second round picks have less than 25% chance of ever playing a game in the NHL, and even if they do the chances of them remaining at the NHL level is even lower. I'll take AA over the risk of drafting two second round players that will likely never even suit up for my team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Much better than the 30 goals he scored last year or .5 ppg he showed this year in a down year? Yeah take the 2 2nds and keep the change

Nightrain

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary
To be fair to us flames fans please screw this up and play AA with McDavid and .... Neal.

While +/- may not be an approved stat, they may score fifty between them by year end but whats the over/under on 70 against? (Plus we get that all important 3rd rounder).

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If the Oilers are smart they will play AA on the third line and he will absolutely feast on lesser opposition.

AA is going to score at least 10 goals before the end of the season.

I don't like the return on this. Unless AA was an absolute cancer in the locker room they should have held on to him.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Well he has to be an upgrade on playing McDavid with Gagner or Archibald. The Oilers gained a top 6 forward and they really needed one. Maybe he eventually plays on Draisaitl's line, even though that's the best 2nd line in the league. You are taking a really negative spin and I don't think you are really objective in this matter.

By all other accounts Edmonton had a good TDL. Now that We are starting to have a top line again.. the Oilers are poised to make the playoffs. That's good news for any Oiler fan.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
In the grand scheme of things, the Oilers get their guy. A guy who’s upside far outweighs two 2nd rounders.

That said, the Wings have done their part. It opens up another chunk of salary cap next year and now gives them 6 of the top 65ish picks in a good draft. Not bad having almost 10% of the top two rounds of a draft.

In 3-4 years we can legitimately judge this deal. Until then, it will obviously look like an Edmonton win. The fun part is we all now get to see McDavid and AA’s highlight reels..

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Well he has to be an upgrade on playing McDavid with Gagner or Archibald. The Oilers gained a top 6 forward and they really needed one. Maybe he eventually plays on Draisaitl's line, even though that's the best 2nd line in the league. You are taking a really negative spin and I don't think you are really objective in this matter.

By all other accounts Edmonton had a good TDL. Now that We are starting to have a top line again.. the Oilers are poised to make the playoffs. That's good news for any Oiler fan.
We were poised to make the playoffs before these trades.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Athanasiou has incredible speed which makes him a compelling player by the eye test, but his on-ice results at even strength over the past 3 seasons have been some of the worst in the league, even after isolating his impact from his teammates.
It's possible that he could turn things around in Edmonton, but this is a very steep price.

The good news is your previous assessments of Oilers players were just turribad.

Hope he sucks as much as Draisaitl. :D

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
We were poised to make the playoffs before these trades.

I think we are clearly better after them. Although the Oilers are currently "in" the Pacific is a tight race this year. Edmonton isn't a mortal lock. I think after these trades our chances are better to make the playoffs.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

I know, right? Career average 23-29-52 goals a season, one of the fastest guys in the league and who ought to make peanuts next year. For two whole mid/late second rounders! Ouch.

Why couldn't he have gotten the older guy with the 16-19-35 career #'s for a 1st + 2nd + 3rd and then signed him at $5m x 6y. Freaking Holland. Joke of a GM.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
What's the most valuable commodity in the world? Apparently a 2nd round draft pick! LOL.
What does this even mean?
I don't see any red wings fans throwing celebrations about acquiring 2nd round picks?
The 2nd round picks weren't used to acquire a superstar?

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I'll just post this video to give massive boners to all the people saying the speed of McDavid+Athanasiou will be unstoppable:

I do, however, repeat that putting them on a line together will be a massive mistake in terms of playing winning hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00