Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension (2 years, $5.6M AAV)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
$5.5 million for a second pairing guy is fine. This is the new NHL and that seems to be the going rate.. maybe a tad more, but the low term adds some low $$$. The only worry is he takes off a bit and in two years Edmonton is looking at $8 mil plus, but he's already 25 so not a huge risk he gets a ton better.
If he takes off and becomes more than a 40 point Dman with little to no PP time then I think Oiler fans would be very, very happy to pay him what he’s worth.

if Nurse gets a ton better he be a legit #1 Dman. And would be worth well over $8M.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Nurse gets the better end of this deal. He walks right into UFA and has the choice of staying or not if the team is still shit he can leave and if the team is good he can decide to resign. I don't care what a player says when it comes to staying or leaving things can change year to year. This deal hinges on the Oilers being good or bad it can swing either way in two years.

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
Pretty bad TBH, takes him straight to UFA and didn't even get a discount. How can you justify that contract when McAvoy signed 4.9x3 and Werenski signed 5x3. Those two are leagues better than Nurse.
Those two contracts were bridge deals, Nurse signed for 3.2 on his second contract this is his third it's a hold over until the Oilers free some cap bloat in 2021. Wait Until McAvoy and Werenski sign there next contracts, its going to be 7+.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Those two contracts were bridge deals, Nurse signed for 3.2 on his second contract this is his third it's a hold over until the Oilers free some cap bloat in 2021. Wait Until McAvoy and Werenski sign there next contracts, its going to be 7+.

If its 7+ with zero UFA years bought, then it'll be pretty bad. This deal is just bad IMO because it takes Nurse straight to UFA.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
McAvoy and Werenski are also much better than Nurse...

Oil Spill

Net Detective
Jan 21, 2013
If its 7+ with zero UFA years bought, then it'll be pretty bad. This deal is just bad IMO because it takes Nurse straight to UFA.
I'll bet he is extended before he even plays the last year of this contract, this is strictly a Cap management move. If he doesn't sign a extension Oilers will have one of the better trading chips available with guys coming up who can replace him.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
No such thing as a hold over, it's just another bridge deal that walks him straight to UFA.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'll bet he is extended before he even plays the last year of this contract, this is strictly a Cap management move. If he doesn't sign a extension Oilers will have one of the better trading chips available with guys coming up who can replace him.

I think pretty much every fan say that, but a player taken to UFA has never been ideal since Nurse would have all the leverage.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
To people saying this is a "show me" contract....isn't that what he's currently signed to?

In my opinion this is a walk me to UFA contract so I can go somewhere else where they will pay me.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
To people saying this is a "show me" contract....isn't that what he's currently signed to?

In my opinion this is a walk me to UFA contract so I can go somewhere else where they will pay me.

The Oilers can also pay him but they just won't have any leverage for a discount.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
"Walk to UFA" is the most overrated fear.

Players have arbitration rights, and players can sign extensions July 1st of their contract year. There is NO benefit for the Oilers to go 1 year. Whether Nurse is a pending UFA with 1 year left, or an RFA with 1 year of team control left, the result will be exactly the same in terms of the likelihood of him signing a long term contract. Either he signs one, or he goes to arbitration and gets to walk to UFA regardless. The difference is, arbitration would risk his cap hit being higher in that final year.

Walk to UFA shouldn't be the discussion. The discussion should be did the Oilers get more value by going 2 years for a lower short term cap hit, or would they have gotten more value by going long term with a higher cap hit in the next two years but a possible lower cap hit in the next few years?

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Pretty bad TBH, takes him straight to UFA and didn't even get a discount. How can you justify that contract when McAvoy signed 4.9x3 and Werenski signed 5x3. Those two are leagues better than Nurse.

I don't like the deal either but that's the 2nd contract for those guys, this is Nurse's 3rd contract.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton

While going straight to UFA may not be optimal, out of curiosity how would've you felt if the AV's signed Barrie to a max term deal instead of 4 years and that lead to struggles signing players like Makar and Girard as a result?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
While going straight to UFA may not be optimal, out of curiosity how would've you felt if the AV's signed Barrie to a max term deal instead of 4 years and that lead to struggles signing players like Makar and Girard as a result?

Would have just traded away Barrie just like we did this year, but might have gotten even more in the deal. I'll always take the term if the AAV is reasonable.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Would have just traded away Barrie just like we did this year, but might have gotten even more in the deal. I'll always take the term if the AAV is reasonable.

I'd argue Barrie with 4-5 years remaining at a higher aav would be harder to move, there are less team that can talk on that contract especially since then the AV's couldn't retain.

Besides that though, Barrie on a 4 year term allowed the AV's to move him for an asset and assured they had the cap space to sign their younger upcoming prospects, I see this deal for Nurse as giving the Oilers the same kind of options

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I'd argue Barrie with 4-5 years remaining at a higher aav would be harder to move, there are less team that can talk on that contract especially since then the AV's couldn't retain.

Besides that though, Barrie on a 4 year term allowed the AV's to move him for an asset and assured they had the cap space to sign their younger upcoming prospects, I see this deal for Nurse as giving the Oilers the same kind of options

I completely disagree there. Players with term in their prime are more valuable assets (provided that the AVV is reasonable). There is also no way in knowing how Girard/Makar would turn out since they weren't even on the team at that point in time. Barrie only took a 4 year deal because his agent is VERY tough (and the Leafs will find out).

I see this deal mainly benefiting Nurse (great for maximizing career earning potential), but the Oilers don't have many options due to other bad contracts and had to squeeze every penny in the next couple of years.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I completely disagree there. Players with term in their prime are more valuable assets (provided that the AVV is reasonable). There is also no way in knowing how Girard/Makar would turn out since they weren't even on the team at that point in time. Barrie only took a 4 year deal because his agent is VERY tough (and the Leafs will find out).

I see this deal mainly benefiting Nurse (great for maximizing career earning potential), but the Oilers don't have many options due to other bad contracts and had to squeeze every penny in the next couple of years.

While I agree proven players are more valuable assets then prospects, you have to leave some room in your lineup for players to be able to be promoted. The scenario would be different if we didn't already have Klef, but locking in Klef and Nurse on the left side for the next 4 years and counting while neither being a bonafide #1 defender at this point would be a mistake IMO.

At least Nurse on a 2 year contract gives us time to figure out all our options and get a better idea of how our prospects progress instead of rushing to lock in Nurse on a 7 or 8 years term in fear of losing him

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Poor baby. McDavid on the Oilers is eating you up inside.

Go scream into your pillow some more. :laugh::laugh:
The Oilers have had McDavid for 5 seasons and have only made the playoffs once in that time.

It's Oiler fans that are screaming into their pillow lmao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad