Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension (2 years, $5.6M AAV)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Even if you think that Nurse would've likely made slightly more than Morrissey, say 6.5M/yr, I really don't see that ~1M screwing the Oilers over in the next 2 years.

And there's absolutely no way a 27 year old takes a discount deal because of his age. No idea what you are smoking there. It's the perfect UFA age for a long term max contract he can possibly ask for.

1 million is the difference between a decent bottom six centre and an AHL/NHL tweener in the lineup. It might not "screw" the Oilers, but it helps with depth.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Not bad. I'd imagine his demands were 7+ on a long term deal and I don't like that number for Nurse. I like the player, but he has some consistency issues to iron out of his game before he's worth locking up long term to big dollars. It's possible the 2 years come back to haunt us, but I honestly don't see it being too bad.

They were saying on local radio that they were discussing the deal that was signed, and a 5 year deal, and those were the only two on the table. I imagine he wanted a much bigger payday for 5 years. Honestly, there are still too many questions in his game to sign him to a big money 5 year deal though. He is still growing and developing. If he becomes more consistent, tightens up his defensive mistakes, or the offense really takes off, then he would be worth big money, but right now, he just isn't there.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Never said Nurse "wanted" to leave. I don't know him personally and neither do you. Not necessarily a rental, but similar to a Duchene/Kane/Stone trade. Its never a good thing to not buy any UFA years.

Yes, I don't know him, but I'm not making it up... all you have to do is read from Bobby Mac or the numerous reports that have described the rationale for the trade from both sides... it had to do with exactly: i) he wants to stay, ii) he didn't want his contract to mess the situation in the next few years.

If the Oil trade him in two years time, it will be a sign and trade because they like what has happened with their younger D and know that sign and trade can maximize their return of assets. If that happens (I don't think it will), I'm cool with that and will enjoy a D-core of Klef, Bear, Larsson, Bouchard, Broberg, Lagesson, Jones and Benning, etc, etc....

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
This deal is all about the Oiler's short term cap situation. They need to be a little cautious next year and then things really open up.
It just seems like one could probably negotiate a longer contract with a similar AAV. This is what makes me feel like the Oilers are not committed to Nurse long-term.

I've been wrong lots of times before though.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It just seems like one could probably negotiate a longer contract with a similar AAV. This is what makes me feel like the Oilers are not committed to Nurse long-term.

I've been wrong lots of times before though.

Have you not read the multiple sources saying the plan is signing Nurse long term next summer?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He could very well re-sign again long term after this deal but Holland won't have much room to negotiation with UFA status always lingering on the table.
But he will have more cap space to work with as bad deals are coming off the books and nearly 2 million in buyout penalties will be gone by then. The team should look very different actually, the only guys we have under contract when we need to re-sign Nurse to a new deal are McDavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Kassian and Neal (and one year left of Lucic's retention and Sekera's buyout penalty).

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
As has been repeated several times, Nurse has no interest in going anywhere else, Edmonton is where he wants to be. He can be extended Summer 2021, when the Oilers have a bunch of cap coming off the books. He’s close with McDavid and Draisaitl, and it’s been openly reported both sides want to discuss extension long before he goes UFA. This is fine.

As has been repeated multiple times: Players sat they love a certain location and want to stay only to walk that back and decide to go elsewhere all the time

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It's not a bad deal and Oiler fans seem confident he'll sign again. I think sometimes people have a tendency to cry "Overpay!" when in reality they are just witnessing inflation.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Even if you think that Nurse would've likely made slightly more than Morrissey, say 6.5M/yr, I really don't see that ~1M screwing the Oilers over in the next 2 years.

And there's absolutely no way a 27 year old takes a discount deal because of his age. No idea what you are smoking there. It's the perfect UFA age for a long term max contract he can possibly ask for.
6.5 is barely more. Nurse's statistical edge is bigger than 250k

and sure, it was 'smarter' to sign him long term now, but Holland was given no cap space to work with.

I'm not sure what your point on the timing of his cap hit is. You seem to be saying that the value of a player from age 25-33 is as high as it is 27-35, or higher.

There's also Nurse himself, who imo has more to prove. Holland and Nurse might want a bridge deal to see what he can do. If Nurse has that faith in himself, I'd rather let him prove it rather than go to war with him, demanding he sign the Morrissey deal. It seems like a recipe for resentment considering that Nurse gets very little PP time compared to Morrissey.

And call me naive, but I believe it when they say that both sides have a plan for Nurse to stay long term. If Nurse wants out for cash, that would happen either way. Petry wanted out, Trouba wanted out. If they want out, they get out. That's the new NHL. Nurse gave up security with this bridge deal, but he was given power in his next contract. To me, that's a very friendly compromise based on respect.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Id be wary of believing rumors of unofficial "handshake" deals being added on top of this.

Lots of things can change over 48 months

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad