Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension (2 years, $5.6M AAV)

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Funny how somes non-Oilers fans see Nurse... I bet every team would want him

24 yrs old, tough, 6 foot 4 top skating D...

40 pts, just imagine with Kelfblom PP1 TOI...

5,6 is fair and a good bet on him, there room for improvment

I like Nurse for what he brings... but I don't ever want to see him with Klefbom PP time. He filled in admirably when Klefbom was hurt last year, but doesn't have the IQ and patience to be a good fit there.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Considering he goes straight to UFA why not try to trade him in the summer and then sign him if the right deal isn't out there?

Easier to trade a player when other teams can hope to sign the guy long-term.

I mean, i don't know if they want to trade him but the deal certainly doesn't indicate he'll stay long-term.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Thinks he got about Larsson, klefbom bucks, they signed 2015,2016 if remember right, what was the cap back then? Probably overpaid 3-400.000, no big deal!

Either we resign him after next season or trade him for a respectable payback and launch Bouchard into the 2 top pairings!

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
If he wanted long term 6x6 he would've signed it already. It's not like those 400k the Oilers are saving is gonna make a huge difference.

Also it doesn't matter if he's planning to leave or not, you don't give the player all the levage.

McKenzie saying his camp was starting at $8m and using Trouba as a comparable. I watch every Oiler game and know Nurse's value. There is a 0% chance he is worth anywhere close to $7m+ even at UFA status. Not much risk here IMO while giving us some cap space this year and not risking a cancer situation. There are so many other variables that people are forgetting here about this deal. As much leverage as Nurse may have next year Holland also has some leverage in terms of trading him.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think it's weird that the Oilers signed a "panic to get the guy on the ice in time for training camp" August contract in February.

Makes me think Nurse is tradebait

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Of course Nurse wants to stay in Edm.

Holland is the only GM in the league who would pay him UFA money for RFA only years and then give him $8mil per for actual UFA years.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Considering he goes straight to UFA why not try to trade him in the summer and then sign him if the right deal isn't out there?

Easier to trade a player when other teams can hope to sign the guy long-term.

I mean, i don't know if they want to trade him but the deal certainly doesn't indicate he'll stay long-term.

It has been widely reported that this was signed to provide the Oilers cap flexibility and that both parties plan to extend next summer when the Oilers have greater cap flexibility (and visibility) to make it happen.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Thats a good glass half-full way of looking at things, but lets not ignore the down side here (i.e. If the prospects don't turn out and Nurse either gets BIG UFA money/leaves/traded as a 1 year rental; thats not good asset management.)

Players can always be traded if prospects need to be promoted. Its never a "rush" to sign a good young player to a long term deal that takes their prime years (see Klefbolm's 7 year deal).

Even if Nurse wants to leave (he doesn't), or extract the Oilers for max value... there is ZERO chance that 28 GMS wouldn't be signing up for a sign-and-trade for a 26 year old Nurse with his unique skill set. It's silly to think he'd be traded "as a rental".

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I don’t really understand the logic here. In two years a long-term deal will (a) be more expensive and (b) run further past his prime.

Should have been able to lock him up around $6-$7 million on a long term deal.
Past his prime??!?

He's going to be 26 years old and only just getting to his prime years... big, strong, smooth skating D? Those guys play well into their mid-thirties.

The deal in two years is unlikely to be any more expensive than it is now... he'd be trading now on the currency of continued improvement. If he does, Oil are happy with a home-grown #1... anything short of that and it will be the same $7M AAV that he'd have signed now.

Think about it as $1.4M in cap space in a very critical two year period before some expensive filler contracts come off our books. If we'd signed the long term deal now, it certainly makes it more difficult for us to address other weaknesses in the roster (or retain Nuge, etc)

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Oilers got robbed on this one!! The guy don't deserve 5.6 m.
Seems pretty reasonable for a top 4 defenseman putting up 35-45 points without really any PP time as well as being a tough sumbitch at the ripe old age of 24.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
0 ufa years. 2 rfa years at 5.6m is an overpay.
And it's been widely reported that the deal was done this way to provide the team with a bit of cap flexibility as he intends on signing an extension next summer.

But I see most everyone in this thread doesn't want to acknowledge that.

It's really not an overpay at all. But that's the beauty of opinions.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
And it's been widely reported that the deal was done this way to provide the team with a bit of cap flexibility as he intends on signing an extension next summer.

But I see most everyone in this thread doesn't want to acknowledge that.

It's really not an overpay at all.

the reasoning behind the deal makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is at that aav it should be 3 years.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
But a lot of it also depends on this next USA TV deal.

IF the NHL strikes gold...these contracts wont look that bad

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I think it's weird that the Oilers signed a "panic to get the guy on the ice in time for training camp" August contract in February.

Makes me think Nurse is tradebait

This deal is all about the Oiler's short term cap situation. They need to be a little cautious next year and then things really open up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad