Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension (2 years, $5.6M AAV)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Two arbitration years. I'm surprised people on here aren't aware of the difference between early and arbitration RFA years.

Cody Ceci got $4.3M in arbitration. Nurse would have likely got around what he's getting now.
This is exactly the point. They either do it this way which is amicable or they go through the arbitration route which no one ever wants.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Don't rly like the contract myself. THe cap hit would be fine on a longer contract. Oh well, show me contract.

edit: just saw the reasoning for this. I think it's good then if they have a plan in the future.

Last edited:

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
6.8% of the cap is not an overpayment for Nurse.
Any idiot can see that theres an agreement in place between Nurse and the Oilers or this deal would have been done in the summer.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Even if Nurse wants to leave (he doesn't), or extract the Oilers for max value... there is ZERO chance that 28 GMS wouldn't be signing up for a sign-and-trade for a 26 year old Nurse with his unique skill set. It's silly to think he'd be traded "as a rental".

Never said Nurse "wanted" to leave. I don't know him personally and neither do you. Not necessarily a rental, but similar to a Duchene/Kane/Stone trade. Its never a good thing to not buy any UFA years.

Highmarker

Oct 31, 2011
This is a good deal for Edmonton. Nurse hasn't shown enough to lock up at a higher price. 2 years takes him to free agency then they can let him walk if they want.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
This seems bad. Nurse and Morrissey signed basically identical bridge deals in 2018, and are still similar level players, so I would've expected Nurse to sign the same kind of long term extension Morrissey did. Instead he signs a 2 year deal straight to UFA and it's barely even cheaper AAV than Morrissey's 8 year deal. Not a good look for Edmonton.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And it's been widely reported that the deal was done this way to provide the team with a bit of cap flexibility as he intends on signing an extension next summer.

But I see most everyone in this thread doesn't want to acknowledge that.

It's really not an overpay at all. But that's the beauty of opinions.
It was literally reported they were looking at a 2 year deal under 6 mill and then in the summer before year 2, a long term extension over 6 mill. This was done because Nurse wants to be an Oiler long term but the Oilers need the cap the next 2 seasons. From all accounts this was a team friendly option.

Reactions: GOilers88

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This seems bad. Nurse and Morrissey signed basically identical bridge deals in 2018, and are still similar level players, so I would've expected Nurse to sign the same kind of long term extension Morrissey did. Instead he signs a 2 year deal straight to UFA and it's barely even cheaper AAV than Morrissey's 8 year deal. Not a good look for Edmonton

First off, our cap is just that tight that even saving 1 million in the short term is helpful.

But also, I agree that Nurse and Morrissey are similar in value, but in the previous season (the year most important to assessing value for this season), Nurse had the edge, both in points and in TOI. So if Morrissey's AAV was 6.25 million, Nurse's would be 6.75 or maybe even 7 if we add other intangibles like his physical edge.

Imo, this could be a huge win for the Oilers if Nurse re-signs in a year or two. Why? Because his next deal will start at age 27, and so an 8 year extension could have some cap saving years at the end. Even 1 or 2 years at less cash can be a big deal.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Because 6.5m max is what he's worth. A good negotiator would have gotten him on that deal long term.

This is a poor deal for the Oilers. Gives them a little and I mean little cap flexibility for the next 2 years then he cashes in big after that or gets traded before, traded as a rental essentially since they can't trade him this off-season.
It is still better than locking up Nurse for 8 yrs at 7M per and have him turn into a unreadable player ala Phaneuf. At 5.6 M for 2 yrs Holland has bought himself some time. The cashing in big would depend on how he does this year and next. He wouldn't get a raise if his play doesn't improve. Cashing in big would be if he establishes himself as a true top pairing Dman

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
How's a 2 years deal at 5.6M AAV that walks Nurse to UFA a good deal for the Oilers? Are you guys on drugs?
For a guy like Nurse a 6x6M AAV would have been a good deal, but 2 years for that much while walking the player to UFA isn't good.
I know this is super late however I see a lot of people thinking he is a 6x6 guy or something of the ilk.

Nurse potentially could be asking for minimum 8 million on a long term deal. The guy isnt going to sign a 6x6 deal.

I think the deal is a little high maybe 5 mill for 2 years but tbh this is his value hes a great player

Hockeyfan398393

Apr 24, 2015
oiler fans - meh not bad could've been better, not mad .
hf posters- Absolutely terrible. especially the draisitli contract.
ive learned alot of people don't like the oilers on here

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why not sign a 1 year deal? He still has 2 RFA years left. Not sure I like this deal for the Oilers. It favors Nurse by a wide margin IMO. Oilers dealing with cap issues I guess.

Reactions: Menzinger

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
the reasoning behind the deal makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is at that aav it should be 3 years.

What difference does the extra year make? He'd still be a UFA at the end. At three years, he becomes a UFA the same season as Klefbom... so 50% of our top four and arguably our two best defenders in the same year.

Moreover an 8 year contract for a 26 year old defender (from 26 to 34) is likely to be less expensive than an 8 year contract for a 24 year old top-2 defender. The former gets a bit of a discount on the tail end, while the latter is paying for "prime" the entire time... or worse yet in this case... the projection of what prime might be.

Let's put some numbers around it:

Current case: 5.6 - 5.6 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 and he's a UFA at age 34, meaning he's going to be on a shorter "twilight" deal
Big deal now: 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 - 7 ... and he's a UFA at age 32 again, meaning he's going to command "still prime coin"

You know-it-alls have it all figured out, but have failed to put any thought into the actual situation at play here. Such shrewd negotiators you are while sitting in a bubble.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
First off, our cap is just that tight that even saving 1 million in the short term is helpful.

But also, I agree that Nurse and Morrissey are similar in value, but in the previous season (the year most important to assessing value for this season), Nurse had the edge, both in points and in TOI. So if Morrissey's AAV was 6.25 million, Nurse's would be 6.75 or maybe even 7 if we add other intangibles like his physical edge.

Imo, this could be a huge win for the Oilers if Nurse re-signs in a year or two. Why? Because his next deal will start at age 27, and so an 8 year extension could have some cap saving years at the end. Even 1 or 2 years at less cash can be a big deal.
Even if you think that Nurse would've likely made slightly more than Morrissey, say 6.5M/yr, I really don't see that ~1M screwing the Oilers over in the next 2 years.

And there's absolutely no way a 27 year old takes a discount deal because of his age. No idea what you are smoking there. It's the perfect UFA age for a long term max contract he can possibly ask for.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Why not sign a 1 year deal? He still has 2 RFA years left. Not sure I like this deal for the Oilers. It favors Nurse by a wide margin IMO. Oilers dealing with cap issues I guess.

A one year deal puts him an RFA at the exact time we are resigning Nuge and likely Larsson. Budget wise there is very little difference between a contract that is 1RFA+7UFA vs 8UFA... in the former, the guy either gets his number or calls the bluff and signs a one-year, "F-U" deal and the relationship goes sour.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00