Friedman: Edler a possibility for Tampa?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I dont know if its been mentioned but...
Friedman was on sportsnet 650 yesterday and noted a quoten from Edler in which Edler expressed that he is about to become the 2nd all time leader for games played by a Dman in Canuck history. Friedman said this was important to Edler and lilely means Edler wouldnt waive his NTC.

that's not true, actually. edler is 3rd; he cleared 4th last season, and needs to stay longer than the rest of this season to catch 2nd. edler is only a few points away from passing ohlund as the canucks' all-time scoring leader on defense, after having just passed lumme and kearns, who had been tied for 2nd. i'm guessing that's what friedman was talking about.

but who knew that edler was so obsessed with beating ohlund? with his NMC, he can beat ohlund in three things beyond an eye exam: games played as a canuck, points, and not going to tampa. sad, though, that he was never able to match ohlund on the ice, which we all hoped he would when the viking took the eaglet under his wing a decade ago.

1617-GP-5998.06--Ohlund-ROH---social-contest_1400x458.jpg

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Dont think they need Vanek, cap might be an issue also?

Pretty much this. The guts of Edler to TB for Koekkoek+ or a 1st+ is fine. No need to muck it up with Vanek.

I think TB is going to be very hesitant to move Foote unless what they're getting back is a long term solution, and I just don't think Edler is a long term solution.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Perhaps Namestnikov could be an option if the speculation is true the Nucks asked about him.

Namestnikov is 100% a product of his linemates this season, but he's a good player that can play all up and down your lineup wherever needed.

Not sure Stevie would deal him mid season unless he's got a better F coming back.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
As far as cap concerns go the Canucks have one retention spot open for remainder of this season and two for next season forward so for the right deal I could see them retaining on Edler.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Im absolutely being serious.

If you want quality players you have to pay a quality price. Elder would look good on the Lightning back end. Cal Foote is a reasonable ask for return. How bad do you want the cup?

But the thing is that Edler doesn't guarantee a Cup. No one does. I don't give up Foote in a deal for Edler. I do for guys like McD, Karlsson, etc, but not Edler.

If that's a deal breaker, then let the deal be broken.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Pretty much this. The guts of Edler to TB for Koekkoek+ or a 1st+ is fine. No need to muck it up with Vanek.

I think TB is going to be very hesitant to move Foote unless what they're getting back is a long term solution, and I just don't think Edler is a long term solution.

A non biased guess would be Tanev with 2 full years left would be enough term to move Foote. He also wouldnt be a super high end player to re sign.

What F/prospects would be the plus to a 1st for Edler?

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
A non biased guess would be Tanev with 2 full years left would be enough term to move Foote. He also wouldnt be a super high end player to re sign.

What F/prospects would be the plus to a 1st for Edler?

I personally don't want Tanev. I don't question the player himself, but his ability to be on the ice enough. It'd sting to give up Foote and have the guy to moved him for miss 20 games a season. The most games the guy has played in a season is 70. "Freak" injuries or not, he just misses too many games.

As far as what on top of the first for Edler, TB has a lot of guys that fit the same kind of player mold. Erne, Stephens, Joseph all have a similar style. I think Erne is the most NHL ready, but not the best of the 3. I imagine they'd look to move one of them.

I'm really not great with player evals and trade proposals because I just don't know the needs of other teams enough.

If Koekkoek wasn't part of the deal I would say something like 1st and 3rd(?)+Erne/Joseph/Stephens+Dotchin/Sustr? 2 picks, either an NHL ready player in Erne or a guy not far off in Stephens/Joseph and a body to put in Edlers place.

I don't know, honestly. I know I see other people asking for Foote and Howden, and I just don't see Yzerman giving them up for (IMO) a lower tier of defender from guys like Karlsson and even McD. Those guys should be kept or reserved for top tier talent.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd do Coburn + Erne + 2nd for Edler. Edler makes 5mil next year, can't bring him in without a defender under contract for next year going back. Vancouver can shop him for additional assets. Then I'd do a 1st for Green, trade Koekkoek and Sustr for picks.

Hedman - Stralman
Edler - Green
Sergachev - Girardi
Dotchin

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'd do Coburn + Erne + 2nd for Edler. Edler makes 5mil next year, can't bring him in without a defender under contract for next year going back. Vancouver can shop him for additional assets. Then I'd do a 1st for Green, trade Koekkoek and Sustr for picks.

Hedman - Stralman
Edler - Green
Sergachev - Girardi
Dotchin

I do not believe Edler would waive to a team that he didn't feel would give him a contract extension. He's played in van his entire career. I doubt in the final few years that he would want to move a couple of times.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I do not believe Edler would waive to a team that he didn't feel would give him a contract extension. He's played in van his entire career. I doubt in the final few years that he would want to move a couple of times.

What kind of contract is he looking at on his next deal? If he takes a discount, 3.5-4mil, on a shortish deal, 2-3 years there's a chance he could be resigned.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Doubt Edler gets traded. As already mentioned, it's unlikely that he'll waive his NTC. I think he's happy living in Vancouver and doesn't care for winning anything, or at least that's the way it seems. There were rumours that Gillis was looking at dealing him right before his NTC kicked in on his current deal, as well as rumours on a yearly basis that Canucks want to deal him, but nothing.

On a good, offensive team, he's easily a 30-40 point dman that can play the body and is good in both zones. He's a quality top 4 dman for sure.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Karlsson. LOL yeah I'm the dreamer.
What was dreaming about my statement? IF Karlsson is getting dealt, TB will absolutely be in the discussion and I'm sure Foote would be a part of that discussion. Sorry I'm not valuing your player like you want me to?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What kind of contract is he looking at on his next deal? If he takes a discount, 3.5-4mil, on a shortish deal, 2-3 years there's a chance he could be resigned.

He is at a $5 mill cap hit. His new deal would kick in during h 19-20 season when he is 33. Guess would be 3 year term at $4 mill per give or take with a m-ntc. Key for him would be the protection. Think he sacrifices a bit of salary for greater protection. Like I said, I don't think he wants to be moving around the NHL at the end of his career. So, if he gets to talk to yzerman before the deal, he needs to feel comfortable that tb will come to the table in July with an extension that he is comfortable with.

Hamhuis, went to UFA and signed in Dallas for $3.75 mill per for 2 years at the same age that Edler would be at the start of his next deal.

There are tax benefits in both Dallas and TB that narrow the gap in take home pay.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
[QUOTE

If Koekkoek wasn't part of the deal I would say something like 1st and 3rd(?)+Erne/Joseph/Stephens+Dotchin/Sustr? 2 picks, either an NHL ready player in Erne or a guy not far off in Stephens/Joseph and a body to put in Edlers place.
[/QUOTE]

So a 1st, Stephens & dotchin for Edler?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad