Friedman: Edler a possibility for Tampa?

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Sometimes I think Elliot Friedman reports rumours in a way it sounds like he's just talking about his own thoughts. I've heard him talk before about how he tries as much as possible to protect his sources so he can keep them as sources.

The only way edler waives is if you go to him and say " we will be moving on from you after next year no matter what.... you can be a part of the process and help us find you an ideal place to move"

coldhands

Jan 25, 2012
BC
As much as I'd like to move on from Edler and get younger, he isn't going to waive. He'll likely re-sign and finish his career in Van.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Looks like Ekman is throwing darts again.

You do realize Friedman is just speculated and talking about things. He is not saying that these are legit rumours he has heard from his sources.

He has a weekly 31 thoughts that he does, its not 31 rumours that he hears about and talks about, they are purely his thoughts when he looks at teams, their needs and the teams who are seller that have players that hold some interest around the league.

Like I have read somewhere else, everybody reads way to far into this and tries to shat on Friedman.

Reactions: LilWayneJetski

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
You do realize Friedman is just speculated and talking about things. He is not saying that these are legit rumours he has heard from his sources.

He has a weekly 31 thoughts that he does, its not 31 rumours that he hears about and talks about, they are purely his thoughts when he looks at teams, their needs and the teams who are seller that have players that hold some interest around the league.

Like I have read somewhere else, everybody reads way to far into this and tries to shat on Friedman.
Nah, I'd much rather post about how silly it is instead of taking for what it is: just thoughts and his own ideas.

PensArmy

Feb 11, 2017
Yeah, because when our biggest need is a young, mobile, defensively sound RD we’re going to give up one of our best trade chips to spend $5M a season on an old, slow, offensive LD. :skeptic: He’s clearly not replacing Hedman or Sergachev and he’s both more expensive and worse defensively than Coburn. So yeah, you can keep him.
I don't think Edler would cost that much mid prospect and 2/3rd picks

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
I’d move him for a 1st or a second and a conditional first next year. I’d be happy to see him with Tampa.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Why not. The last D we got from them was promising.

Let's have another Jason Garrison experiment.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
If I may wade into the fray here.... I'll admit up front this is about 95% speculation on my part :)

Not saying I agree with it, but if there's a d-man on Vancouver who is available, it's Hutton. I don't think Green really likes or trusts him, he's been a frequent healthy scratch, and his name has been in rumors before. Now, we can debate his value and upside till we're blue in the face, and I don't see him as a guy Tampa would want, but if there's a guy I can see Benning moving out, it's Ben...

But to play along, if Edler were to waive, I'd probably agree that he'd want to go somewhere where there's a good chance he could re-upp when his contract expires. I don't think Tampa is a fit, as they probably want to keep financial flexibility for when guys like Kucherov/Point/Vasilevsky need new contracts

That said, Edler is a de facto top pairing guy on a weak defense, quietly having a solid season and he elevates the play of whatever marginal player he's paired with (Gudbranson, Pouliot and to a lesser extent Stetcher) ~ I'd absolutely want a half decent asset or two in return, given our defense is probably the worst in the league without him

One last point.... A lot of the speculation around Tampa has them getting a guy like Green or McDonagh, but I think the darkhorse trade target (the guy I'd be going after if I were Stevie Y) is Hjalmarsson... Underrated player imo, I know he doesn't bring a ton of offense but I've read a few times on here how the Hawks miss his stretch pass ability (amongst other things)... Seems like he'd be a natural fit in Tampa... Isn't a pure rental like Green, can play either side, very reasonable contract that expires at just the right time, would probably (hopefully?) waive to go to another top team and get another crack at ol Stanley and wouldn't cost as much as a guy like McDonagh... But that's just my $.02, and if 'Zona was smart, they'd probably keep him

Reactions: ginner classic

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Plot thickens

I wish this had some real meaning but I dont think it does. Agents get hounded by media this time of year, I am sure its not uncommon for them to not return calls from them.

It is a way for media to get people to turn in to their radio stations and start up gossip though.

I would like edler to waive to TB so he can go on 2 cup runs though, while bringing some kind of asset back to us to help the rebuild

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
I wish this had some real meaning but I dont think it does. Agents get hounded by media this time of year, I am sure its not uncommon for them to not return calls from them.

It is a way for media to get people to turn in to their radio stations and start up gossip though.

I would like edler to waive to TB so he can go on 2 cup runs though, while bringing some kind of asset back to us to help the rebuild
I dunno. Dahliwal doesn't seem like the type of guy to stir it up. He's talking to agents every day it seems... he would know when something is up

Reactions: Canucks LB

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not saying I agree with it, but if there's a d-man on Vancouver who is available, it's Hutton. I don't think Green really likes or trusts him, he's been a frequent healthy scratch, and his name has been in rumors before.

Well, one way to get him to play Hutton more is to move out the team's #1 d-man, would certainly force Green to use someone else!

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Besides the rumoured namestikov .. who could we get from Tampa?
I'd like to hope Yzerman wouldn't give up much, just because he still doesn't fit a big need (RD)

Boltprospects.com, a website dedicated to tracking and following TB/TB prospects said they expect Koekkoek to be moved as well as Matthew Peca and possibly Adam Erne.

Keep in mind this isn't in regards to anything specific, just in general.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I dunno. Dahliwal doesn't seem like the type of guy to stir it up. He's talking to agents every day it seems... he would know when something is up

He is a good insider not someone who just throws things out their. But if he is hearing things so would B. Mckenzie, Friedman, Lebrun etc. None of them have tweeted anything.

Not sure if Dhaliwal has outright called a trade the Canucks have made prior to one of the big insiders.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I'd like to hope Yzerman wouldn't give up much, just because he still doesn't fit a big need (RD)

Boltprospects.com, a website dedicated to tracking and following TB/TB prospects said they expect Koekkoek to be moved as well as Matthew Peca and possibly Adam Erne.

Keep in mind this isn't in regards to anything specific, just in general.

Does Erne play with an edge? He has decent size but I dont know if he holds much value to the Canucks. He will need to clear waivers next year no? We have Goldobin and Virtanen who also need that, so dont think the Canucks should be acquiring more uncontrollable younger F's who we risk losing next fall for nothing

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Well, one way to get him to play Hutton more is to move out the team's #1 d-man, would certainly force Green to use someone else!

For sure. I don't really see it happening though. Just reading the tea leaves

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Does Erne play with an edge? He has decent size but I dont know if he holds much value to the Canucks. He will need to clear waivers next year no? We have Goldobin and Virtanen who also need that, so dont think the Canucks should be acquiring more uncontrollable younger F's who we risk losing next fall for nothing
He's physical. Plays real simple game. I'd personally like to keep Erne. Think he can be a 2nd-3rd line PF.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
If Kempny and Holden go for 3rd rounders, I want a 1st back for Edler. At the very least a 2nd and a decent prospect.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
For sure. I don't really see it happening though. Just reading the tea leaves

I agree. Of all the defensemen the most likely to move appears to be Hutton given his usage this season as well as Edler having a NTC. Moving Edler for some younger assets and giving Hutton some more ice-time would be the ideal way to go however for this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad