Friedman: Edler a possibility for Tampa?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i would love to think that this follows normal canuck luck and edler goes to tampa and becomes the all situations top 20 guy in the league we used to think he could become. or maybe like stralman he breaks out, or at least like girardi is deployed correctly and resurrects his career. i want good things for alex and those good things sure aren't here in vancouver.

but knowing what i know of history, and of tampa bay as the place where vancouver defensemen go to watch their careers die (ohlund, salo, and garrison after an initial happy period), i don't think it would be a good idea.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

If Edler is a target, I fully believe TB will still be in on Green. I could see both being brought in. Something around Koekkoek+ for Edler and then Green for a 1st or 2nd+

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

If Edler is a target, I fully believe TB will still be in on Green. I could see both being brought in. Something around Koekkoek+ for Edler and then Green for a 1st or 2nd+

What is the plus to Koekoek if sent for Edler? I think Detroit might need him more than vancouver as we have a lot of lefties.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
What is the plus to Koekoek if sent for Edler? I think Detroit might need him more than vancouver as we have a lot of lefties.
I personally don't see us dealing Koekkoek to DET if it can get done for a pick. I think maybe it'd be something like 2nd+prospect to DET for Green and Koekkoek+1st+mid prospect for Edler?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't really think they do either, but getting both gets Sustr off the ice totally.

Hedman-Stralman
Edler-Green
Sergachev-Coburn
Girardi

That's much better than

Hedman-Stralman
Sergachev-Coburn
Girardi-Sustr

Why not use Coburn and Girardi as the third pair?

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I dont know if its been mentioned but...
Friedman was on sportsnet 650 yesterday and noted a quoten from Edler in which Edler expressed that he is about to become the 2nd all time leader for games played by a Dman in Canuck history. Friedman said this was important to Edler and lilely means Edler wouldnt waive his NTC.

Cquant

May 14, 2015
I'm not sure Vancouver would be interested in Koekkoek at all. Again, we have too many LHD looking to step up. Koekkoek not only holds a guy like Holm/Juolevi back, but might not even play in front of Pouliot, so he would essentially retain that spot as 7D with us as well.

That plus on Koekkoek needs to be significant either way. I'm thinking a second.

Reactions: TrueCanuckle

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Why not use Coburn and Girardi as the third pair?
Both of those guys are up there and (IMO) both a step slower than either Edler or Green. It'd be nice to be able to rest them both at points leading up to the playoffs.

Cooper usually ices 7 D, so they'd both still play anyway.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I personally don't see us dealing Koekkoek to DET if it can get done for a pick. I think maybe it'd be something like 2nd+prospect to DET for Green and Koekkoek+1st+mid prospect for Edler?

Gross deal, but Benning will love it. Have any other reclamation projects that were drafted high?

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
If I may wade into the fray here.... I'll admit up front this is about 95% speculation on my part :)

Not saying I agree with it, but if there's a d-man on Vancouver who is available, it's Hutton. I don't think Green really likes or trusts him, he's been a frequent healthy scratch, and his name has been in rumors before. Now, we can debate his value and upside till we're blue in the face, and I don't see him as a guy Tampa would want, but if there's a guy I can see Benning moving out, it's Ben...

But to play along, if Edler were to waive, I'd probably agree that he'd want to go somewhere where there's a good chance he could re-upp when his contract expires. I don't think Tampa is a fit, as they probably want to keep financial flexibility for when guys like Kucherov/Point/Vasilevsky need new contracts

That said, Edler is a de facto top pairing guy on a weak defense, quietly having a solid season and he elevates the play of whatever marginal player he's paired with (Gudbranson, Pouliot and to a lesser extent Stetcher) ~ I'd absolutely want a half decent asset or two in return, given our defense is probably the worst in the league without him

One last point.... A lot of the speculation around Tampa has them getting a guy like Green or McDonagh, but I think the darkhorse trade target (the guy I'd be going after if I were Stevie Y) is Hjalmarsson... Underrated player imo, I know he doesn't bring a ton of offense but I've read a few times on here how the Hawks miss his stretch pass ability (amongst other things)... Seems like he'd be a natural fit in Tampa... Isn't a pure rental like Green, can play either side, very reasonable contract that expires at just the right time, would probably (hopefully?) waive to go to another top team and get another crack at ol Stanley and wouldn't cost as much as a guy like McDonagh... But that's just my $.02, and if 'Zona was smart, they'd probably keep him

Love the post. I think a healthy Tanev (does not exist) or a Hjalmarsson make a little more sense than McDonagh and Edler. To be fair, any of those 4 players improves Tampa a lot more than Green will. They can all move the puck extremely well but also offer a defensive presence that Tampa might really need.

I just cannot see a circumstance where Edler agrees to waive.

Reactions: generic opinion

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Gross deal, but Benning will love it. Have any other reclamation projects that were drafted high?

TBH, makes me think you don't know anything about him and have never watched him

Koekkoek, through no fault of his own, has not been given a chance in TB. When he does get those rare minutes, he never looks out of place, and usually does good things.

TrueCanuckle

Feb 15, 2009
calgary
I don’t see Edler being dealt. He’s been playing great lately. If Tampa wants a canucks d-man they should target Hutton

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
TBH, makes me think you don't know anything about him and have never watched him

Koekkoek, through no fault of his own, has not been given a chance in TB. When he does get those rare minutes, he never looks out of place, and usually does good things.

He's a risk. We have enough of those. Besides, he would not have a good partner here, so hope he can carry a pairing.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
He's a risk. We have enough of those. Besides, he would not have a good partner here, so hope he can carry a pairing.
Not trying to be a jerk, but are you guys trying to contend for anything right now? Does it even matter if he has a good partner? I'd think IF Vancouver was dealing off Edler, they'd want a young guy that can step in immediately. I don't know anything about the Nucks though, so I'm probably wrong.

But if that doesn't get the job done, I'd say TB just move on and target Green, who would likely cost no actual assets worthy of discussion.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Canucks need a rhd coming back. So of course the Foote is the ideal guy, but Dotchin or Cernak are options also.

I think even with the injury Tanev is more likely to be dealt vs Edler. I just hope Edler does waive his NTC at some point and doesnt pull a Sedin. If he does, I am all for never giving players full NTC again for the entire contract, they are athletes, make millions and should be willing to move for a chance to win.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Canucks need a rhd coming back. So of course the Foote is the ideal guy, but Dotchin or Cernak are options also.

I think even with the injury Tanev is more likely to be dealt vs Edler. I just hope Edler does waive his NTC at some point and doesnt pull a Sedin. If he does, I am all for never giving players full NTC again for the entire contract, they are athletes, make millions and should be willing to move for a chance to win.

Can't imagine Foote would be dealt and doubt Vancouver wants anything to do with Dotchin. Cernak could be had, but not sure what else would be going your way.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not trying to be a jerk, but are you guys trying to contend for anything right now? Does it even matter if he has a good partner? I'd think IF Vancouver was dealing off Edler, they'd want a young guy that can step in immediately. I don't know anything about the Nucks though, so I'm probably wrong.

But if that doesn't get the job done, I'd say TB just move on and target Green, who would likely cost no actual assets worthy of discussion.

Does it matter if he has a good partner? I don't know, does it matter if he gets shelled every single night? I would think so. If Benning is targeting Koekkoek, I don't want him - Benning's track record of pro-scouting on defensemen is putrid. Koekkoek fits the player Benning is looking for, 1) Didn't get enough playing time 2) Was a high pick 3) He's age gap material to make fans think he's trying to rebuild.

This is mostly why I don't want him - maybe he is decent with more minutes but I'm not willing to once again trade for a 24 year old defensemen who is averaging 11 mins a game in exchange for our second best defensemen. We have seen this song and dance many times now. Don't care if we are trying to rebuild or not, I'll take no return on Edler than age gap players any day. We still need some competent players.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Matthias Ohlund, Sami Salo...

And Now Maybe Edler?

The poster a few back is right. Tampabay is a place where Canuck Scandinavian D-men come to die.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Can't imagine Foote would be dealt and doubt Vancouver wants anything to do with Dotchin. Cernak could be had, but not sure what else would be going your way.

Is Cernak like a Gudbranson? Canucks would like someone with some offensive upside. What is so bad about Dotchin, if he is on your team now I would think he is half decent? Canucks may say Foote or rather take a pick vs Cernak or Dotchin though

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
For me, we need a defensemen coming back, and that guy is Foote. Maybe his ceiling isn't as high as some prospects, but I think he could turn into a solid defender...whether he could chip in offensively here and there remains to be seen but that is the least of my worries.

He also has a floor potential where I think he's basically guaranteed to hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad