Friedman: Edler a possibility for Tampa?

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I agree that Elliotte is just spitballing here but Kevin Bieksa once famously said “he’d go down with the ship” and many thought Burrows wouldn’t waive either. Non-stop losing can change the mindset of players, who knows if Edler might have a different viewpoint now.

Burrows and Bieksa wanted to win, those guys love playoff hockey, I just don’t feel Edler has that same... desire? that those two have. I believe Edler is very content with his life in Van and I don’t think an early summer keeps him up at night the same way it would for Burrows and Bieksa. I like Edler and he’s played some great playoff hockey for us, I just feel he’s easier going that he’ll go with the flow, playoffs, early summer, rebuild or contenders. I can’t see him waiving, but your right you never know... he may.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah, because when our biggest need is a young, mobile, defensively sound RD we’re going to give up one of our best trade chips to spend $5M a season on an old, slow, offensive LD. :skeptic: He’s clearly not replacing Hedman or Sergachev and he’s both more expensive and worse defensively than Coburn. So yeah, you can keep him.

Yep that right there answers my question. But please keep us telling Canuck fans who actually watch the guy play what he is and isn’t without watching. Also LOL to a late 2nd being part of best trade chips

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Alex Edler would be agreat addition to a contender ramping up for a run. On a contender he's a #3/4, and defense depth is never a bad thing.

That said, I don't think he waives his NTC. Like, 90% sure he stays in Vancouver.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
If Edler were to waive his NTC, wouldn't Tampa make the most sense above any other team?
  • Swedish connection with Hedman.
  • Florida sunshine and low-tax on income.
  • Chance to win a Stanley Cup with a legit contender.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
Edler would make sense for contending teams looking for a top 4 left shot guy. He's been playing great this year aswell, one of his best seasons in years.

If he were to waive I'm sure he would net us a nice return. If its a possibility hopefully Lindenning considers it.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Edler’s a stud, especially this year. He makes everyone he plays with better, he’s even managed to make Gudbranson look like a passable top 4 defenseman. He’s even started to bring back elements of his physical game this year.

I’ve been extremely impressed with Edler, but he doesn’t fit the age range required for our next window. I’d trade him, but I don’t think he’d waive. I’m personally fine just re-signing him and keeping him around to mentor guys like Juolevi.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I keep reading all the time these super bright fellow Canuck fans still continue to bring up Edler wont waive. Please do share a recent 2017/18 statement from Edler stating that he is still NOT interested in waiving his NTC.

I do recall him saying that 3 or so years ago, within a year of his new deal kicking in. Edler is over 30, he most likely wont be offered a new deal here anyway so why not chase a cup and possibly re sign with that team this summer?

Plus it is best for the Canucks to move him and give Hutton ice time to see what he can do. We have too many lefties, moving the 1 with the most value is just good asset management by a rebuilding team.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Edler were to waive his NTC, wouldn't Tampa make the most sense above any other team?
  • Swedish connection with Hedman.
  • Florida sunshine and low-tax on income.
  • Chance to win a Stanley Cup with a legit contender.

He would also not want to move again if he waives. So, would he get a contract extension in TB?

Just my opinion as a Canucks fan who has seen him play his entire career I don't see him going anywhere where he isn't absolutely certain about getting a new deal come july when he is eligible to sign one.

If the Canucks tell him that they won't offer him a new deal in July, them I think he waives at the draft which is a week prior to July and thus he can pick his destination and have spoken with that team prior to the finalization of a trade so that team knows his contract demands.

I don't see him as a guy who wants to go to TB and them in 2019 find another NHL home because tb has to save cap space for younger players.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
If we'e trading Edler to Tampa, I want Cal Foote in return.
Tampa posters going on for pages about how they [personally] wouldn't want to send Cal Foote out in return for McDonagh... it is an uphill battle with that level of delusion.

Good luck.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Friedman selling click baits like hell, since keywords like "Vancouver" , "trade" "Gudbranson" is very much trending, he's just capitalizing on that hype, 1st by "speculating" they are looking for a big winger with skill and now Edler trade rumor.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
He’s certainly not a defensive one. Would you prefer I cut through the euphemisms and call him a cap dump?

He is. He and Tanev have been handed the heaviest defensive minutes and done reasonably well. Mysteriously, every other defender who happens to have some extended time with Edler (Stecher, Pouliot, Gudbranson) seem to perform better with him too.

On a contender, Edler would be a fanstastic guy to have on a 2nd pair. As it is with Vancouver, he is relied upon to the extreme.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Friedman selling click baits like hell, since keywords like "Vancouver" , "trade" "Gudbranson" is very much trending, he's just capitalizing on that hype, 1st by "speculating" they are looking for a big winger with skill and now Edler trade rumor.
Umm the big winger with skill thing came straight outta Benning’s mouth...

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Friedman has been throwing so much stuff against the wall it's bound to stick....

InconsequentialElasticAustraliansilkyterrier-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: DJB

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I see canuck fans are still completely delusional about the value of a made of glass old defensemen that doesn't produce anymore.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Tampa posters going on for pages about how they [personally] wouldn't want to send Cal Foote out in return for McDonagh... it is an uphill battle with that level of delusion.

Good luck.
Why is it so hard to understand TB fans wanting to save arguably their biggest trade chip for a dman that actually fits what they need (Mobile, would prefer youngish, RD)?

You guys are just as ridiculous for absolutely refusing to acknowledge any of the actual gripes TB has with moving Foote, but please, continue acting like everyone else is the problem.

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
I agree that Elliotte is just spitballing here but Kevin Bieksa once famously said “he’d go down with the ship” and many thought Burrows wouldn’t waive either. Non-stop losing can change the mindset of players, who knows if Edler might have a different viewpoint now.

Bieksa and Burrows would have happily gone down with the ship. They were that loyal to the team and to the city. I suspect their departures were more about doing right by Vancouver rather than a desire to jump ship to a contender.

Edler doesn't strike me as the same kind of guy. He seems more loyal to himself. I think he's just comfortable here and doesn't want to leave for reasons outside of team loyalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad