Pre-Game Talk: EDF Game 4 6/5 7:25 - THE BEAR hopes this is last ever game in Uniondale - NBC, CBC, TVAS, 98.5 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I am very disappointed in the 3rd line. They always seem to get hemmed in their own zone and when Barzal is on the ice against them it always feels like his line is about to score. I think the Bruins can beat the Isles with the third line playing like this, but against TB I have zero confidence. TB's top lines will eat them up.
Don't count Carolina out of that series just yet, I actually think they can beat the bolts, could be 3-0 Canes right now, TB has gotten some lucky goals and live by the PP.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
There's only one explanation for Islanders' loss to Bruins

This was a terrific playoff game that shook down the thunder and woke up the echoes at the Coliseum. It could have been Islanders-Bruins 1980, so fierce was the competition in which nothing was given and all was earned. It was a game that demanded a cleaner ending, though our friends at the other end of the Mass Pike would surely protest that observation.

No, it wasn’t that the Bruins didn’t earn their victory. Of course they did. But you’d have liked to see the game end on an artful goal … maybe on a breakaway the way Game 2 ended on Casey Cizikas’ solo dash in Boston on Monday. But instead of concluding on a bang, it came to an end on a whimper when Marchand scooped a bad-angle shot from the vicinity of the left corner that somehow found a sliver of space to beat Varlamov at 3:36 for 2-1 in the game and 2-1 in the series.
Love their saltiness.

Reactions: Gordoff

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
It's a double whammy. Ritchie is for my money the Bruins worst defensive forward in his own end. He makes a decent breakout pass, but other than that he's not good. That's OK, everyone has wingers who aren't great defensive players.

Then add in you have Debrusk, whose better defensively but it's not exactly by a wide margin, over on his off-wing where it's harder for wingers on their off-wing to break out of the own zone, and it becomes a perfect storm.

They could split these two up so that you balance out the bad defensive wingers in the bottom 6 onto different lines. Get Debrusk back onto his natural wing on whichever line (3 or 4). Put Lazar on RW with Coyle.

Debrusk/Ritchie - Coyle - Lazar

Debrusk/Ritchie - Kuraly - Wagner

It's not like what they currently have is really working. Line 3 has been kinda dreadful. Line 4 has been decent but I think you could mix it up and it wouldn't get any worse.
Exactly this. I wouldn't just put DeBrusk on the left as suggested in response, because that line's other problem is that it only leaves Coyle as the puck carrier on that line, which is neither DeBrusk or Ritchie's strength.

Reactions: BruinDust

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The Leafs out of town thread is praising Marchand right now. It feels really weird.

I guess at some point he's just too good to ignore.

What's not to like about Brad??

upload_2021-6-4_18-1-59.jpeg

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I hope to enjoy my coffee Sunday morning. a no stress win would be nice for this old guy
Ditto! It will be my first morning waking up with my coffee on my deck in my new house with the lovely Tickle Creek (true story, that's really it's name) running through the back yard close enough that you can hear the water flowing. I cannot wait and I'm so hoping that it comes with a B's win the night before ;-) (Yes, internet is now on, game will be on!)

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I wouldn't have a problem with that. I do find typically it's more skilled guys who can better handle their off-wing. That being said, it mostly depends on the player.

I think so too. And I think with DeBrusk, he's a pretty straight up and down, north-south player. Likes to get puck, skate with puck, then shoot or pass pretty quickly. And he likes to do most of that on his forehand if at all possible. All things that suit a left-handed player playing LW. But when you put him on the right, now he's got to think a lot more, and has to either use his backhand or be prepared to wheel and cut inside more to get onto his forehand. These things would come naturally to a Krejci or Marchand in that situation, but not to DeBrusk. It's not his game. So it really feels like putting him at a disadvantage. Clearly Cassidy has his reasons and he and the coaching staff know a hell of a lot more about the game than I do, but it just puzzles me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I think so too. And I think with DeBrusk, he's a pretty straight up and down, north-south player. Likes to get puck, skate with puck, then shoot or pass pretty quickly. And he likes to do most of that on his forehand if at all possible. All things that suit a left-handed player playing LW. But when you put him on the right, now he's got to think a lot more, and has to either use his backhand or be prepared to wheel and cut inside more to get onto his forehand. These things would come naturally to a Krejci or Marchand in that situation, but not to DeBrusk. It's not his game. So it really feels like putting him at a disadvantage. Clearly Cassidy has his reasons and he and the coaching staff know a hell of a lot more about the game than I do, but it just puzzles me.

To me, playing your off-wing is more suited to a guy who plays a more east-west game. So he can take advantage of being on their strong shooting side more often, either through one-timers (which Debrusk rarely does which I find puzzling in itself as he can hammer a puck), or by cutting across the middle and firing. Basically think OV's two signature moves.

Now that being said, maybe it makes no difference. I had the misfortune of looking at the Habs lines for these playoffs, and they've basically had right-shots playing their off-wing on 3 of their 4 lines. So who the heck knows. Maybe Debrusk doesn't care. Maybe he even likes it (although I can't see why).

PastaBaked

May 8, 2021
I'll be pleasantly surprised if we can manage a whole game without some type of flukey goal from a thoroughly dominated Islanders

When you add in the Jarry flubs from the previous round you have a team that is surviving on misplays and good fortune.

Hoping the Bs can get their shots a bit further up the net on the chances coming their way - Varmilov seems very good at getting low shots.

Also hoping for another sprinkling of Pasta magic.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012

No, it wasn’t that the Bruins didn’t earn their victory. Of course they did. But you’d have liked to see the game end on an artful goal … maybe on a breakaway the way Game 2 ended on Casey Cizikas’ solo dash in Boston on Monday. But instead of concluding on a bang, it came to an end on a whimper when Marchand scooped a bad-angle shot from the vicinity of the left corner that somehow found a sliver of space to beat Varlamov at 3:36 for 2-1 in the game and 2-1 in the series.

Almost all of their goals in this series result from lucky bounces, but they want "artful goals" as OT winners? Marchand's snipe wasn't one?

Play a full game if you want to win. Starting to apply pressure after 55 minutes is rarely a recipe for success.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Almost all of their goals in this series result from lucky bounces, but they want "artful goals" as OT winners? Marchand's snipe wasn't one?

Play a full game if you want to win. Starting to apply pressure after 55 minutes is rarely a recipe for success.

Most of their good moments came against our 4th line which has been putrid.

I think tomorrow will be like G1 and we'll have something to show for strong play on the scoreboard.

Granted 1-0 early leads haven't exactly led to more goals the last 2 games.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

This was a terrific playoff game that shook down the thunder and woke up the echoes at the Coliseum. It could have been Islanders-Bruins 1980, so fierce was the competition in which nothing was given and all was earned. It was a game that demanded a cleaner ending, though our friends at the other end of the Mass Pike would surely protest that observation.

"Artful goal". That writer is more homer than I am. Very little art in goals scored by NYI. Hard work, rebounds, deflections on shots from the point after the endless dump and chase.

Artful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad