Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 5 - IT'S OVER - Bruins eliminated in double overtime

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
All this talk about Taylor Hall reminds me of the Backes hype a few years ago. Lots of people claimed Backes could still play and he would be a great addition to the Bruins. All the while ignoring the facts that pointed to the problems associated with an aging veteran player. I think Hall would be a huge mistake. He has injury issues and seems to be a head case. The Bruins don't need that type of overpaid player.
Backes won Hart trophy and then came to the Bruins three seasons later , at 28 years old????

Going for a Cup the Bruins had Kase on powerplays with a minute to go.

But Taylor Hall is not a good idea?

Last edited:

BUP

Sep 6, 2017
I figure we faced a roughly equal opponent and the healthier team won. On to next year.
I'm going to disagree with this as we do not know what injuries active Lightning players are dealing with. More evident in my eyes was the Stamkos injury, the absence of McDonough for the majority of the series, and the absence of Kucherov for the majority of game 7. The fact that we were missing our #1 goalie was big, but we lost in 5 games with a very good backup in net - he let in a couple of softies, but all in all not bad.

Reactions: BMC and StrBender

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Good luck with that.

Marchand was 6th in the league in scoring last year. It would have to be a hell of a player to make Marchand a 2nd liner.

It's more important to keep those two together. The LW can be the 2nd line LW but if he's with a C better than Bergeron and paired with Pastrnak then you have a truly deadly top six:

2nd line LW - 1st Line C - Pastrnak
Marchand - Bergeron - XXX
DeBrusk - Coyle - XXX

Signing Hall to dish the puck to Pastrnak and another Center or trading for a Gaudreau to play with him is the first step.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Well, I've always heard that money talks. :naughty:
I truly wish that Jeremy Jacobs actually controlled the NHL like fans of other teams think he does. If that were the case, one might think the Bruins would have more than ONE championship since 1972 (48 seasons and counting) and more than three championships since 1941 (3 titles in 79 years).

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Pretty sure Backes was 32 when he came to the Bruins — and he aged VERY quickly.

And it’s not uncommon that hockey bodies fall apart rapidly in that 32-35 range.

Taking this in another direction, This has come up numerous times here with respect to 46 and 37.

We’ve heard they’re only 30, then they’re only 32, etc. well they are 34 and 35 respectively now. This core’s window open? Closed? Depends on what, if anything, they can add.

I’ve long been a proponent of the “no one is untouchable” approach, and I do mean no one. My gut says there’s not enough they can add now that makes retention of the whole of this core something to build around In developing an irrefutable cup contender.

Hope I am wrong, would love to see these guys hoist the cup again. But if there’s a path toward and even brighter future that involves moving a beloved player? I support it.

Reactions: Gordoff

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Ah, gotcha.

It's Labor Day weekend, so I'm a little slow on the uptake.

LOL
I hear ya!
Rummaged thru my fridge I found a Pabst. Good enuf. Slamming it in the garage while refinishing a cabinet.
Labor Day zone out mode activated.
IMG_20200905_155311332.jpg

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Backes never came close to winning a Hart trophy and he was a pretty beaten up 32 years old when he got to the Bruins.
Yeah he received a couple votes in 2012 but that's it. He was 2 years removed from a run of 4 years where he finished top 5 in Selke voting though.

I remember Blues fans were really hard on him his last year in St. Louis. Talking to them they said he had regressed in that season, sometimes fans just say that but looking back it was probably true, the skating ability jumped out right away.

If they were to sign Backes, I think term is the big area it went wrong. Even though Pavelski was a lot older than Backes when he signed in Dallas, I would have preferred something with that template. Pay for the shorter term (3 years, $7 million). If it goes bad it sucks, but only being on the hook for 3 years vs. 5 is huge.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Wow.
Isles just shutting down the Flyers right now.
Tampa is going to be pissing their pants vs the Isles
it will be a good series but tampa has the better goaltending.
if vasi plays like he has been i think tampa wins in 5 again.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Sports hernias are really weird, it can be pretty dependent on local biology, and it’s a difficult area to strengthen without aggravating it. The minute you over extend or work it with a lift or squat it’ll feel like shit shortly there after. My guess is bergeron just has this as a chronic issue because of how much effort he puts into faceoffs over the years

Hard to say if a trainer hasn’t already worked with him on strengthening the specific area in lieu of surgery but I would hope they try that before going under the knife

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad