Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 5 - IT'S OVER - Bruins eliminated in double overtime

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Time for him to get this fixed. If he misses half the regular season so be it. It is obvious that off ice treatment and rest aren't working anymore.
In a shortened season, let’s call it 48 games, no Bergeron for half of the season could easily mean a DNQ.

At the same time, if this guy isn’t right, they’re DOA anyway.

Ugh. Not good. Not good at all.

Reactions: Gordoff

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Bergeron needs surgery. All that fine off and it came back. Take the time off.

If Chara comes back, A Defensive prospect gets sacrificed. He’s blocking the kids. I think one of them can do what he’s doing.

Frederic and Studnicka must be on the team next year.

If they don’t get a heavy player or two, forget it again.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The Bruins lost to TB because 1) goaltending didn't work out with Rask, he had to go home. 2) 5 on 5 scoring was almost nonexistent with the offense. 3) defense had breakdowns that were not usual during the regular season. 4) Ritchie doesn't work out as planned. 5) they needed at least one more scorer/playmaker like MoJo from the previous year.

One can blame the lack of Cap money for adding players. Who's fault is that?

One can blame Cassidy for going with 7 D in one game, that would be a bad reason to blame him for total series loss.

What are your thoughts?

This is my list of where to start the improvement. 1) resolve goaltending 2) resolve Chara and the defense 3) get scoring.

Although there's lots of blame to go around, it's hard for me to come to any definite conclusions. I got the feeling right from the start of the RR that some of the B's hearts were not fully into these covid playoffs.

The lack of scoring talent and injuries aside, some of the players (especially on defense) just looked out of shape and disinterested..so it's really hard for me to come up with any solid solutions when there was such unusual circumstances.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Bergeron with a groin injury is still a dominant player, especially if it's something that comes and goes. It's better to have him play with it than have him miss a ton of time.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
If surgery fixes the problem then it's time for Bergeron to get it. He is still a dominant regular season player with the issue but playoffs is different. He has not been his usual great self in this and previous playoff years and the Bruins need him to be better at playoff time. Problem is at his age surgery and missing a large chunk of next season is as much of a problem as having him play through it.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus

If Chara comes back, A Defensive prospect gets sacrificed. He’s blocking the kids. I think one of them can do what he’s doing.

Thank-you doctor. Reality is some groin issues and injuries are amenable to surgery and some aren't. Without knowing the exact nature of his issues it's impossible to say whether surgery is the correct option for him and what the risks are if he did go through with it.

I will say this though. The maximum recovery time for most forms of groin surgery, barring serious complications, is 3 months. So if surgery is in fact a viable option for Bergeron then he should bite the bullet and do it now. That way he should hopefully be ready to at least return to full-intensity training by Christmas time.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
In a shortened season, let’s call it 48 games, no Bergeron for half of the season could easily mean a DNQ.

Honestly I'd rather DNQ than go deep & fail because our #1 center can't do his job because his groin failed yet again.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

If he's "blocking" one of the kids it is because none of them is good enough to beat him out for the spot.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
If he's "blocking" one of the kids it is because none of them is good enough to beat him out for the spot.
Don’t quite agree with this. It’s not as though it’s a true meritocratic competition. Chara gets a lot of cred just bc he’s Chara and all he’s done. His play level is that of a #5/6/7 yet he’s still played as a #2. That proves the point.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Although there's lots of blame to go around, it's hard for me to come to any definite conclusions. I got the feeling right from the start of the RR that some of the B's hearts were not fully into these covid playoffs.

The lack of scoring talent and injuries aside, some of the players (especially on defense) just looked out of shape and disinterested..so it's really hard for me to come up with any solid solutions when there was such unusual circumstances.

So true

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Don’t quite agree with this. It’s not as though it’s a true meritocratic competition. Chara gets a lot of cred just bc he’s Chara and all he’s done. His play level is that of a #5/6/7 yet he’s still played as a #2. That proves the point.

Not really in Chara's case. Who else on the current roster would you want getting serious top pair minutes with McAvoy? Krug, Carlo, Lauzon, Clifton and Moore are all a hard no for me. Gryz with Chucky is fine in short stints but certainly no more than that. So I really don't see that Chara's been taking up a spot that could be better filled by someone else.

I definitely agree though that Chara's level is no longer good enough to play top pair, and he's now suitable for the 3rd at best. But the solution to that, if the Bs want to be serious about their chances next year, has to be bringing in someone from elsewhere who's a genuine first pair talent, not papering over the issue by promoting from within.

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Not really in Chara's case. Who else on the current roster would you want getting serious top pair minutes with McAvoy? Krug, Carlo, Lauzon, Clifton and Moore are all a hard no for me. Gryz with Chucky is fine in short stints but certainly no more than that. So I really don't see that Chara's been taking up a spot that could be better filled by someone else.

I definitely agree though that Chara's level is no longer good enough to play top pair, and he's now suitable for the 3rd at best. But the solution to that, if the Bs want to be serious about their chances next year, has to be bringing in someone from elsewhere who's a genuine first pair talent, not papering over the issue by promoting from within.
How do they bring a genuine first pair talent from elsewhere? Who’s available and at what cost ?

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
How do they bring a genuine first pair talent from elsewhere? Who’s available and at what cost ?

Brenden Dillon's the guy that first springs to mind for me. He's current a UFA. Don't know what his asking price is going to be but if it's anywhere around the $4.5 mil mark then the Bruins should be considering a serious bid for him. He ticks all the boxes - big, experienced, plays a tough game, handles the puck ok, should complement McAvoy well. Joel Edmundson is also available and would be worth considering. Not quite the same calibre of player, but he would be cheaper.

Otherwise people have been talking about players that might be available via a suitable trade. Perhaps something could be worked out that way, but if the financial side can be worked out then a UFA might be the simplest solution.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

I was thinking about this the other day.

We've seen the the cycle become complete.

Chara used to carry the Ward type defensemen. Now perhaps he is the Ward type defensemen and McAvoy is in the Chara role.

I'd still prefer Chara play on the 3rd pair where he can thrive. He'd be one of the better #5-6 defensemen in the NHL still.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Yeah I’ll let Bergeron, his family and their docs decide on the surgery thanks.

if he feels good enough. Then he feels good enough. S’all i can say

Reactions: OV and Maine Fan

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Bergy is not exempt from Father Time.

Agreed. Like I said earlier, this team won a Cup when he was the 2nd line Center and perhaps that is the only way they win one again with him around. Depth above him not below him and Marchand. Someone to push him and Marchand to 2nd line and play with Pastrnak and push Krejci down as well.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

if 35 year old Bergeron and his groin are the lynchpin of the bruins cup hopes now and moving forward, they're already in trouble. I like what boston's done a lot in the last five years but I honestly don't know what the identity is anymore. It used to be the old school cam neely footprint type of hockey and player the last few years but since it didn't achieve a cup, it's like they wanderer into limbo

Reactions: BMC

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Rask has a year left in his contract. Halak signed a one-year extension in March. So unless there is a plan to change goalies, they are both with the Bruins next season.

If Chara wants another year I say give it to him and If he wants two years, then no.

While the Bruins sort out their offensive player problems and cap issues they can play a more muscular D with Chara for another year and getting another qualified stronger D-man.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I believe their Stanley Cup aspirations have died and gone to hell.

They are such a 1 line team and that is all the opposition has to concentrate on. In addition, the top line gets banged up a lot due to no muscle on the team and also fatigue. They have to play a lot of hard minutes as they are the target of all teams.

Kase may have did a bit of fancy looking plays but with no results. Debrusk is so inconsistent that he is missing in action at least 50% of the time. Ritchie big mistake, could of used Frederick and been no worse off.

Koyle is the only real player on the 3rd. line.

I don't like Maroon but he is great for the front of the net, would be a great asset for the 4th. line and an opposing goaltender's nightmare on the power play.

Defense is okay but not so outstanding like people have suggested previously. Krug can go as far as I am concerned, just not worth the outrageous money he will be offered.

Halak well he was okay but gave up some very inopportune goals. This team needs very good goaltending as they do not have a well balanced scoring attack to come from behind. MR. RASK, well I don't even want to talk about him and we will never win a championship with him as numerous uno.

Shot deflection and net front presence should be practiced indefinitely. Tampa scored a ton of goals on deflections.

These are my feelings and I strongly believe in them.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Agreed. Like I said earlier, this team won a Cup when he was the 2nd line Center and perhaps that is the only way they win one again with him around. Depth above him not below him and Marchand. Someone to push him and Marchand to 2nd line and play with Pastrnak and push Krejci down as well.

Good luck with that.

Marchand was 6th in the league in scoring last year. It would have to be a hell of a player to make Marchand a 2nd liner.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad