Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 5 - IT'S OVER - Bruins eliminated in double overtime

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Oh I'm not discounting that factor at all. Still, none of the kids has really made a statement that they're ready to take his spot on the roster.

The problem as I see it is because he's Chara, one of them is going to have to be better than they would need to be if there was an open roster spot, or if they were looking to displace someone like John Moore, and not because Chara is still good, but because he is.

If they don't get to play, the Bruins are never really going to know whether they can do the job or not. Not every young player comes in with a bang, especially defensemen. Some need steady minutes and will grow into their game. Gryz was one who took that path, and Carlo also (he was a bit raw when they stuck him in there). Chara himself was pretty raw when he got his first roster spot and regular minutes.

Reactions: Gordoff

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This was after Round 1:

Top-performers.png

The playmakers like Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand, who aren’t putting a ton of quality shots on the board themselves, but are creating an incredible amount of offence for their teammates. The fact that Bergeron and Marchand have been able to push the Bruins to a 3-1 series lead over the Hurricanes with their finisher in David Pastrnak missing games and playing hurt should scare every single team in the league. That line isn’t going away.

Analyzing the best individual offensive performances of the playoffs - Sportsnet.ca

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
This. I still have some hope for Vak but Zboril is most likely a bust. Lauzon is alright as a bottom pairing guy.

I don't want to write any of the kids off, but the young D-men prospects that have come up through the B's organization and played on the varsity squad in recent years, and showed that they belonged in the NHL – are the ones now getting minutes: McAvoy (of course), Carlo, Griz, Clifton (and farther back, Krug).

Lauzon may be on the bubble, but I haven't been that impressed with him. Maybe he needs a little more seasoning in the minors. Same with Vak and Zboril. They just don't seem ready. Maybe soon?

If Krug walks (more like "when"), I'd rather they sign a more experienced top-4 UFA who may also be able to help fill the void when Chara retires. We need more experience in the mix.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Serious question: Do we need adjustments/overhaul to our team strength and conditioning staff/regimens? Do we even have an overall team program? Seems we’re always hobbling at just the wrong times. Or, maybe this just comes with the territory.

I've thought about this more than once. It might be time for the Bs to review.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
4 teams were down 3-1 in the second round, they all fought back to tie the series and go to game 7, except for Boston. We had our backup in you say, well Avs had their #3 guy, Canucks had their backup as well.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I want Rask, Bergeron & Krejci back. Would like
them to grab Toffoli and Smith for wingers and Dillon on D and trade DeBrusk to NJ for their 3rd #1. Then
ship Kase and Gryz to Ottawa for their late #1.
Re-tool and start to re-build. Toffoli/ Smith in
DeBrusk/Kase out upfront. Krug/Gryz out and Dillon
in.

Rask/Vladar

McAvoy-Dillon
Carlo-Lauzon
Clifton-Moore
Zboril-Chara

63-37-88
Toffoli-46-Smith
10-13-68
Frederic-52-14
26-83

Two 1st round picks in 2020 draft.
I like it, doubt it would happen but I like it.

Last edited:

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
You were correct
Ali!
Now the question is, why hasn't this been fixed for good?!?
He's a star player and the if fixed asap he may only miss half a season or so. If there's a season to miss half of IMO it's going to be this upcoming one.

groins are tricky. Probably doesn’t want to bite the bullet on a full-blown surgery not knowing how he’d recover at his age. May just have to though- I’m sure he’d be fine with proper recovery time

Wagner having an irregular heartbeat is a little scary

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Honestly I'd rather DNQ than go deep & fail because our #1 center can't do his job because his groin failed yet again.
RIGHT, added to that is the fact that he only has a limited number of years left at this level. IMO he's wasting his time milking this along. Bite the bullet now, recover over the next few months and miss whatever amount of games is necessary to be ready for a strong playoffs in 2021.

Reactions: BMC

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Here’s the thing about Bergeron and his groin tho- he still did his job. This wasn’t the St. Louis series where the perfection line got abused, pretty sure he still dominated his competition throughout these playoffs. I’d highlight line 1 as the main reason they lost the cup last year, I don’t think they’re responsible for losing this year though

I’d like the groin thing fully addressed though, just for his own quality of life/rest of his career’s sake

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I figure we faced a roughly equal opponent and the healthier team won. On to next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad