Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 5 - IT'S OVER - Bruins eliminated in double overtime

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I would rather have a rebuild of the front office itself first...

Just looking at this game, it was obvious that TBL were going to goon it up and that we didn’t have the beef we needed.

Whats even worse was for the second year in a row Maroon was smiling and laughing at the Bruins the rougher it got. He knew that (again) they had no response, told his teammates, and they got the job done.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Sports hernias are really weird, it can be pretty dependent on local biology, and it’s a difficult area to strengthen without aggravating it. The minute you over extend or work it with a lift or squat it’ll feel like shit shortly there after. My guess is bergeron just has this as a chronic issue because of how much effort he puts into faceoffs over the years

Hard to say if a trainer hasn’t already worked with him on strengthening the specific area in lieu of surgery but I would hope they try that before going under the knife
If they haven't been working on it with him someone should be fired. I can't imagine that they haven't tried everything possible to help him live with hit. That being said, if surgery can fix it for good (big IF) than if should be done ASAP.

Last edited:

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
If they haven't been working on it with him someone should be fired. I can't imagine that they haven't tried everything possible to help him live with hit. That being said, if surgery can fix it for good (big IF) than if should be done ASAP.
I have first hand experince, had a sports hernia fixed 3 years ago and have had no issues. I am physically active still play hockey. I was not allowed to play hockey for 6 weeks after the operation then got back on the ice, felt fine. The great thing about this procedure is you are walking around 8 hours after the operation taking baby steps. I did not have any pain, just discomfort. The clinic is called " Shouldice" close to where I live. Their Doctors perform a procedure that does not use mesh to repair the injury. Some of my friends had the mesh procedure and it was a nightmare, had to go to Shouldice to have the mesh removed and their procedure completed.
I cut and pasted some verbiage from their website. I would assume the Bruins know about this procedure?
DISCOVER THE SHOULDICE DIFFERENCE. More than 98% of our cases are performed with our natural tissue technique...without the use of mesh.

The Shouldice success rate for hernia repair sets the gold standard for medical professionals around the world. Clinical evidence, gathered over 70 years of follow-up with our patients, clearly demonstrates that the hernia repairs performed at Shouldice Hospital are exceptionally safe, secure and reliable. Although there are inherent risks in any surgery, there are no similar or comparable risks in natural tissue hernia repair versus mesh. Scar tissue of natural tissue left in place represents no risk, while mesh left behind can continue its erosion and potential migration within the body.
Mesh should never be used because it’s easier, faster, cheaper or due to lack of familiarity with, or expertise in, the use of natural-tissue techniques!
WHAT IS AN ABDOMINAL WALL HERNIA?
HOW DO YOU GET A HERNIA?
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF A HERNIA?
AM I AT RISK FOR A HERNIA?
HOW ARE HERNIAS DIAGNOSED?
DO I NEED SURGERY TO REPAIR MY HERNIA?
HOW ARE HERNIAS REPAIRED?

Reactions: Gordoff

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I have first hand experince, had a sports hernia fixed 3 years ago and have had no issues. I am physically active still play hockey. I was not allowed to play hockey for 6 weeks after the operation then got back on the ice, felt fine. The great thing about this procedure is you are walking around 8 hours after the operation taking baby steps. I did not have any pain, just discomfort. The clinic is called " Shouldice" close to where I live. Their Doctors perform a procedure that does not use mesh to repair the injury. Some of my friends had the mesh procedure and it was a nightmare, had to go to Shouldice to have the mesh removed and their procedure completed.
I cut and pasted some verbiage from their website. I would assume the Bruins know about this procedure?
DISCOVER THE SHOULDICE DIFFERENCE. More than 98% of our cases are performed with our natural tissue technique...without the use of mesh.

The Shouldice success rate for hernia repair sets the gold standard for medical professionals around the world. Clinical evidence, gathered over 70 years of follow-up with our patients, clearly demonstrates that the hernia repairs performed at Shouldice Hospital are exceptionally safe, secure and reliable. Although there are inherent risks in any surgery, there are no similar or comparable risks in natural tissue hernia repair versus mesh. Scar tissue of natural tissue left in place represents no risk, while mesh left behind can continue its erosion and potential migration within the body.
Mesh should never be used because it’s easier, faster, cheaper or due to lack of familiarity with, or expertise in, the use of natural-tissue techniques!
WHAT IS AN ABDOMINAL WALL HERNIA?
HOW DO YOU GET A HERNIA?
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF A HERNIA?
AM I AT RISK FOR A HERNIA?
HOW ARE HERNIAS DIAGNOSED?
DO I NEED SURGERY TO REPAIR MY HERNIA?
HOW ARE HERNIAS REPAIRED?

I had the rarest of rare hernias fixed there - an interstitial hernia. Celebrities and athletes go to Shouldice since they are the best in the world. The Bruins must know about it - they train surgeons from around the world. They are so good that OHIP pays for the procedures even though it is a private hospital.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
That’s true, is he solely to blame? The obvious picks where on the table. I couldn’t believe Barzal was still an option and we ignored drafting him.

Gretzky was the director of scouting.

I know it's fashionable to blame the GM. The reality is that GMs set the priorities and philosophy. They leave it up to the scouts to make the picks.

Sweeney had literally been on the job a month at that draft and he had zero experience in amateur scouting. His prior job was in player development.

So, yeah, it was on Gretzky and he's gone.

Blaming Sweeney is infantile

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

I know it's fashionable to blame the GM. The reality is that GMs set the priorities and philosophy. They leave it up to the scouts to make the picks.

Sweeney had literally been on the job a month at that draft and he had zero experience in amateur scouting. His prior job was in player development.

I don't know if it's "infantile."
President Truman's famous line "The Buck Stops Here" comes to mind. The excuse that he just came on board is weak because he was the Assistant GM prior to that. He didn't c0me from the outside with no knowledge of the situation. I've heard the reasoning was that DS had his sights set on Hanafin and Carolina grabbed him. If not the Bruins were going to trade all 3 picks to Phoenix(?) for the pick and grab Hanafin. So they ended up with the 3 picks and supposedly were caught by surprise. At the time of those picks the Bruins table was hustling around trying to make a last minute trade.
Edit: In regards to Gretzky, wasn't there some weird bad blood with him prior to leaving?

Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
President Kennedy's famous line "The Buck Stops Here" comes to mind. The excuse that he just came on board is weak because he was the Assistant GM prior to that. He didn't c0me from the outside with no knowledge of the situation. I've heard the reasoning was that DS had his sights set on Hanafin and Carolina grabbed him. If not the Bruins were going to trade all 3 picks to Phoenix(?) for the pick and grab Hanafin. So they ended up with the 3 picks and supposedly were caught by surprise. At the time of those picks the Bruins table was hustling around trying to make a last minute trade.

That's not the story. The Bruins wanted to trade up but a team asked for all three and Sweeney refused.

Quoting a vague presidential tweet is the definition of infantile.

But go ahead and crucify Sweeney for that, whatever. You get to form your own opinions.

Durnberg

Feb 2, 2007

I’m sorry, I don’t meet to blame any one person. There are a lot of moving parts and maybe it’s totally off base to blame Sweeney, you definitely offer valid points.

I guess if it was Gretzky who made the call, and he’s gone then that’s that. He’s the guy responsible for being in the know, not Sweeney. If Sweeney went against the scouts and drafted poorly then we’d crucify him for it.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Also, not to be a pedant but the buck stops here thing was President Truman. Had the sign on his desk.
I stand corrected. Either way when you're in charge you take the credit or the blame for decisions that are as important as draft picks. Not saying that he didn't but that's the way it works, or it should work. He didn't drop in from nowhere, he was right there in the front office (assistant GM) for several years before that draft.

Banded Peak

Apr 15, 2015
I stand corrected. Either way when you're in charge you take the credit or the blame for decisions that are as important as draft picks. Not saying that he didn't but that's the way it works, or it should work. He didn't drop in from nowhere, he was right there in the front office (assistant GM) for several years before that draft.

I know, was being smarmy for no good reason. For what its worth, I agree with you.

Also, some people seem eager to give Sweeney credit for things that happened while Chia was still calling the shots, ie the Pastrnak pick. Can't have it both ways.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Hall was non existent before the Devils
Then he becomes the MVP for the NHL while with the terrible Devils. Then injuries after injuries, then complaining about who is on the team, then more injuries, then mid season trade, doesn't do much with Vegas but now he wants top money. Not mine.
If by "non-existent" you mean a "consistent 20+ goal, 50++ point-scorer" then sure.

Reactions: Gordoff

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
President Truman's famous line "The Buck Stops Here" comes to mind. The excuse that he just came on board is weak because he was the Assistant GM prior to that. He didn't c0me from the outside with no knowledge of the situation. I've heard the reasoning was that DS had his sights set on Hanafin and Carolina grabbed him. If not the Bruins were going to trade all 3 picks to Phoenix(?) for the pick and grab Hanafin. So they ended up with the 3 picks and supposedly were caught by surprise. At the time of those picks the Bruins table was hustling around trying to make a last minute trade.
Edit: In regards to Gretzky, wasn't there some weird bad blood with him prior to leaving?

Trading all 3 picks to chose Hanifin over Werenski or Provorov would have been a bad move.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yeah my memory is slipping ...........a bit lol.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
IMO.
We changed the makeup of the team to far in "speed" direction. I remember back when we wanted A puck moving defenseman. Now it seems like thats all we have.

We couldn't clear the crease to save our lives and if you see a lot of Tampa's goals it was guys infront of the net tipping in pucks. You didn't see alot of that with Sidenberg, Boychuck, Chara, Mcquaid, and even Ference (who played bigger than his size) protecting the net.

God, we're the friggen 2011 Canucks :facepalm:

Reactions: rfournier103

member 96824

As soon as he got here he aged 4 years.

Unfortunately, it wasn't as soon as he got here.

Would have been nice of a GM, assistant GM, pro scout, or anyone else to watch a St. Louis game before giving a 5 year, 30 mil contract.

Now that I think about it, would have been nice for them to watch a lot of the FA's they've signed before they sign them...

But hey, I'm sure this time will be different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad