GDT: ECSF Game 3: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Carolina Hurricanes, 3:30 PM, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I don't really think there's much difference between Schmid and Vanecek at this point - each have weaknesses that Carolina can exploit.

The issue is the Devils team defense. Gap control needs to improve. Puck management / decisions with the puck at the blue lines need to improve.

I'm hoping Lindy is looking game plan tweaks for tomorrow. It doesn't feel like the Devils have found a structural flaw that they can exploit.

Maybe the 'Canes issue was merely execution but the Devils caught the Canes cheating on the boards a few times. They had their worst xG of the playoffs also, in a game they trailed the entire time.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I will support Vitek getting game 4. Devils just need to convert on their A chances and dont make dumb decisions at their breakouts and the canes blue line.

Maybe the PP wall has been broken by palat last game, so now the feel of the inescapable PP fail will be over. Having Luke helps both of that.

Also he is probably in really good shape after full college season and ample rest and daily practice with NHL squad since april. Fresh legs i think have been really important this series - see Smith.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
WOW. Didn’t see Jacks one handed back pass to Timo on goal one. Incredible!

View attachment 704647
Listen, I’ve seen some silky smooth plays over the years, but wow, that really was smooth. Speaking of smooth, have you seen my skin!? Oho, oh my. Silky smooth! All thanks to
Genucel’s facial scrub and cream.

1683555565025.png

Ohh my partner you got that right! Now, with having said that, that's just one game. And the Devils will need to continue to push tomorrow night as well. Much like I use Genucel's facial scrub every night to get this silky smooth skin at my age!

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
I haven’t had a huge problem with Bahl, and that shift he had against Goodrow was legendary. But the difference in our ability to break out with him out there vs Luke was night and day. If you aren’t decisive with the puck, you get eaten alive by Carolina.
And from the eye test, making quick decisions with the puck is where Bahl and Graves struggle. I wouldn’t be surprised if Smith is in to also be a player/coach for Luke to talk through gaffs and adjustments.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
It’s the new NHL, you can win with mediocre goaltending. Possession of the puck, limit mistakes, maximize speed and quickness. Let the young guns prevail.
Pucks can't be turned over. The Devils need to adjust here - they are still underestimating the Canes speed and hands. That's basically the cause of almost all the high danger chances yesterday.

Reactions: DevilsHughes86

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
View attachment 704658

Ohh my partner you got that right! Now, with having said that, that's just one game. And the Devils will need to continue to push tomorrow night as well. Much like I use Genucel's facial scrub every night to get this silky smooth skin at my age!
so Dano is now talking to himself in the third person? He needs to see a psychiatrist, not a dermatologist.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Just want to say, as with the Isles and Bolts out, the Devils are my next team, and I've been rocking my Tatar jersey all over NYC this weekend while visiting family.

I'm going to guess I'm the only one with that jersey, to include that badass 40th anniversary patch, but glad the game had such a great outcome and rocking that thing with pride.

Devils have been my third team since Brodeur, my family player of all time, and I follow Slovak players so easy decision to get a Tatar jersey for this season.

I love how there is no quit in this team and hope this game pushes the momentum back to the Devils.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Nah, I'm out on the west coast. It's just weird since most sites will show the game times in PST for me, but somehow I just missed it today.

If anything, just good to laugh at myself since I know how worked up I would have gotten if I had watched it.

With the Kentucky Derby this weekend, I had an old memory of 2001 ECF Game 5. It happened the same day that my sister graduated from law school and I went to some post-ceremony party hosted by her then boyfriend's (who also graduated). I managed to sneak away and turn the game on. Then one of the guy's relatives turns the channel to the Preakness pre-show. Not the race, the damn pre-show. It took a lot of energy for me not to yell at the guy, but I think the Devils had a sizeable lead. But from that moment on, I've been very cynical about horse racing. [/coolstorybro]
In 2001 I spent the summer in Manhattan without a tv, so I'd have to go over to my sisters in Hoboken to watch the games. This involved patiently sitting while she and her roommate watched Sex in the City or Arliss or whatever dumb show before I could change to the game and catch the last remaining bit. It was a willpower test.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
In 2001 I spent the summer in Manhattan without a tv, so I'd have to go over to my sisters in Hoboken to watch the games. This involved patiently sitting while she and her roommate watched Sex in the City or Arliss or whatever dumb show before I could change to the game and catch the last remaining bit. It was a willpower test.

Trying to envision that made me lol bigly.

That is a serious test of willpower and patience.

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It was really amusing in the broadcast yesterday where they talked about how it seemed we don't rifle the puck enough on the PP, making it easier for Carolina to defend and ultimately take control. Sure enough, Palat fires a one-timer top shelf as their sentence ends.

The team definitely needs to start developing a shooting mentality on the PP because the Hurricanes are feasting on us with the man advantage.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
It's weird watching the highlights and seeing the goals from the opposite angle from where I was sitting. Everything looks backwards from how I remember it!

Sometimes i try to delay viewing the replays to keep the in game memories fresher for longer. No joke

I have same issue because my seats are always opposite the main camera angle (off a bit).

Reactions: Guttersniped

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
seeing how the leafs no showed in a must win game 3 compared to what happened in newark yesterday this team def has some fight in them and don't want the ride to end. just dont understand why it takes being down 0-2 to get them motivated to show up and play hard. i was way more worried going into msg down 0-2 then i was yesterday

Omar Little

Omar comin yo
Jun 12, 2006
Massachusetts
It was really amusing in the broadcast yesterday where they talked about how it seemed we don't rifle the puck enough on the PP, making it easier for Carolina to defend and ultimately take control. Sure enough, Palat fires a one-timer top shelf as their sentence ends.

The team definitely needs to start developing a shooting mentality on the PP because the Hurricanes are feasting on us with the man advantage.

It's also faster puck movement. There needs to be some triangle-ish offense plays utilizing the bumper more

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Jack Han had a brief post on this. He said the Devils PP likes to skate it around a lot (i.e. Jack), which makes them uniquely susceptible to the Canes high-pressure PK. They need to just move the puck faster.

Anyway, now that they're back in the series, can Lindy just decline the PPs? Maybe get the boys to take a penalty whenever they see the arm go up for them?

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Jack Han had a brief post on this. He said the Devils PP likes to skate it around a lot (i.e. Jack), which makes them uniquely susceptible to the Canes high-pressure PK. They need to just move the puck faster.

Anyway, not that they're back in the series, can Lindy just decline the PPs? Maybe get the boys to take a penalty whenever they see the arm go up for them?
The Devils could probably keep their same basic system but ensure the weak side winger drifts up to the blue line when the puck is in the other side. This will limit some offense but help shore up the defense.

If the Canes try to pressure with 2 up high then pass or dump it down low and try to win a quick 3 on 2 game there.

If the Devils can pass the puck around faster, then great, but I’m not sure they can so the above would be my compromise changes.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
It's also faster puck movement. There needs to be some triangle-ish offense plays utilizing the bumper more
You see the best PP teams are constantly circling between three players while the other two try to set screens or get open if the cross-ice pass opens up. I feel like our bumper guy is just always kind of standing around waiting for something to happen while Jack and Dougie play catch. It's been this way all season regardless of who occupies that spot.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Anyway, not that they're back in the series, can Lindy just decline the PPs? Maybe get the boys to take a penalty whenever they see the arm go up for them?
Can our supposedly brilliant coach come up with another system to counter this or is he just a caveman ‘I yam what I yam’? At least our PK managed to make adjustments in series against the Rangers.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Devils could probably keep their same basic system but ensure the weak side winger drifts up to the blue line when the puck is in the other side. This will limit some offense but help shore up the defense.

If the Canes try to pressure with 2 up high then pass or dump it down low and try to win a quick 3 on 2 game there.

If the Devils can pass the puck around faster, then great, but I’m not sure they can so the above would be my compromise changes.

Can our supposedly brilliant coach come up with another system to counter this or is he just a caveman ‘I yam what I yam’? At least our PK managed to make adjustments in series against the Rangers.
The solution Han proposed is similar to what you're both saying. Go high-to-low quickly and utilize the areas below the goal line.

This would involve Jack fundamentally changing how he operates on the PP, because he almost exclusively likes to drift himself high-to-low, and curl back up if there aren't any options.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
You see the best PP teams are constantly circling between three players while the other two try to set screens or get open if the cross-ice pass opens up. I feel like our bumper guy is just always kind of standing around waiting for something to happen while Jack and Dougie play catch. It's been this way all season regardless of who occupies that spot.
Devils haven’t been good at using the bumper guy in forever.

Thinking of this series, to get the puck down low more often and avoid the high pressure, rather than a bumper player and a net front, you can place both players at the side of the net. The strong side player drifts to the corner as a passing option and the weak side player comes out to be by the net.

It takes away a shooting opportunity for the player in the corner but this is also why teams won’t pressure them as much. Once they have the puck low they can pass back to the half board winger, skate around the net changing the balance of the ice and making guys heads turn, skate towards the middle, or hold the puck.

The solution Han proposed is similar to what you're both saying. Go high-to-low quickly and utilize the areas below the goal line.

This would involve Jack fundamentally changing how he operates on the PP, because he almost exclusively likes to drift himself high-to-low, and curl back up if there aren't any options.
Funny, I just posted an additional thought about using below the goal line. :lol: It makes sense when the pressure by the blue line is hurting you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad