GDT: ECSF Game 3: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Carolina Hurricanes, 3:30 PM, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Dougie was fantastic in game 7 and had a very strong game today.
I'm probably Dougie's biggest critic, I think everyone can attest to that.

For as bad as he was in games 1-2 of both series (and he was awful), he's been very good as the games have gotten more important.

Still not a player I'd pay that kind of money to, but as long as he plays hard, simple hockey, he's fine. He just needs to keep his feet moving, stay engaged in the D zone, and get his shot through.

God knows he's got the physical tools necessary to be a difference maker, if he had the heart of a Nico he'd be incredible.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Anyone else surprised how little Bahl played? He only got 3:17 TOI through the first 2.5 periods. He finished with under 6 mins (got 3 more shifts after we made it 8-4).

i would have expected Smith to be the odd man out, but he got nearly 18 mins. He had a surprisingly decent game but I don't think it's something we can count on. And still he was our worst dman in terms of xG% despite playing with Marino.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Anyone else surprised how little Bahl played? He only got 3:17 TOI through the first 2.5 periods. He finished with under 6 mins (got 3 more shifts after we made it 8-4).

i would have expected Smith to be the odd man out, but he got nearly 18 mins. He had a surprisingly decent game but I don't think it's something we can count on. And still he was our worst dman in terms of xG% despite playing with Marino.
I'm not that surprised because I don't think they trust Bahl or Luke to play with Marino and get the matchups he usually does. I don't think Smith is actually any better than either of them, but I understand the likely thought process there.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I'm not that surprised because I don't think they trust Bahl or Luke to play with Marino and get the matchups he usually does. I don't think Smith is actually any better than either of them, but I understand the likely thought process there.
I think Bahl probably sits if Graves comes back and they continue to roll 7d. They probably want Smith so if it's a tight game or they have to defend a lead they can sit Luke so they can continue to roll 3 D pairs. They can shelter Luke and use him for offensive zone draws and whatnot.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland

He had a rough first shift if I remember correctly. The Hurricanes got partially 2 on 1 against the Devils because of Bahl's play.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

Kind of makes sense the way the game played out.

With a big lead it made sense to conserve him since he's played a lot of minutes in high pressure hockey. Explains Smith and Luke seeing a lot of time.

How’s it going, man?
Pretty good. And you?

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Yep because Vitek looks shaky right now and Schmid has not seemed to feel the pressure as much. But that said, I can’t say that Schmid in games one and two was any better than Vanecek was today. Jarvis picks the same high glove side on both of them for one point of comparison.

One way or another, we aren’t winning this series unless our play in goal steadies. The Canes play in goal was abysmal today and we can’t rely on that continuing.
Mack Black time.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
They scored plenty, but it was still a sloppy game by both teams. The goaltending was bad, theirs was worse. We need an all around better performance with the same physicality and winning the board battles if we want to tie this series up or score another 8 goals. Very nervous about our goaltending.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Marino plays the toughest competition so what did you expect? Smith played better than Bahl so the increased ice time was deserved.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Bahl has to play perfect games or else Lindy benches him. He really doesn't like Bahl.
I'm not sure about that. He got a lot of ice time at the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs.

Bahl is a good skater as a big guy, but his acceleration isn't that great. It wasn't problem against the Rangers (and most of the other teams), but Carolina's skating and aggressive forecheck has caused few mistakes for him.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
They scored plenty, but it was still a sloppy game by both teams. The goaltending was bad, theirs was worse. We need an all around better performance with the same physicality and winning the board battles if we want to tie this series up or score another 8 goals. Very nervous about our goaltending.
Vitek looks….bad. Schmid hasn’t looked much better against Carolina but at least we’ve seen him play well these playoffs. I think Ruff should go back to him but what do I know.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
i dont think ruff is a guy that changes a lineup after a win if no one is hurt but man thats going to take some balls going back to vitek for game 4. who knows though maybe the team will tighten up around him ? the devils would've won with either goalie in yesterday its just that with vitek the score was a lot closer then it should've been. i think schmid probably stops 2 of those pucks and an 8-2 win looks a lot better then 8-4

Reactions: Bleedred

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I'm not sure about that. He got a lot of ice time at the end of the regular season and the start of the playoffs.

Bahl is a good skater as a big guy, but his acceleration isn't that great. It wasn't problem against the Rangers (and most of the other teams), but Carolina's skating and aggressive forecheck has caused few mistakes for him.

As if it hasn't caused issues for Graves

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
There’s been some revisionist history going on if we’re now saying “Bahl has struggled in the playoffs.” He had been very, very solid up until the past two or three games
Really? Here’s the Devils average game score over the last 12 games.

9A6DF800-A62D-4B28-A5F5-83EEF424639F.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad