GDT: ECSF Game 3: Your New Jersey Devils vs. Carolina Hurricanes, 3:30 PM, TBS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
There’s been some revisionist history going on if we’re now saying “Bahl has struggled in the playoffs.” He had been very, very solid up until the past two or three games

Yup, I think Bahl just getting a game off may help his game if we need switch again.

They've played games every other day non-stop since the playoffs started (i think minus one gap)

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
i dont think ruff is a guy that changes a lineup after a win if no one is hurt but man thats going to take some balls going back to vitek for game 4. who knows though maybe the team will tighten up around him ? the devils would've won with either goalie in yesterday its just that with vitek the score was a lot closer then it should've been. i think schmid probably stops 2 of those pucks and an 8-2 win looks a lot better then 8-4
Stuff happens in blowouts… game won in 1st period

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
Yup, I think Bahl just getting a game off may help his game if we need switch again.

They've played games every other day non-stop since the playoffs started (i think minus one gap)
Jumped out to me that it appears Devils/Canes is the only series with no extended break this round, just alternating days from Games 1-7.

Makes me nervous about a return trip to Raleigh since an extra day of practice would do them some good when it comes to prepping for the Canes' line matching, but knowing there's at least going to be a Game 5 is a good problem to have right now.

Now win tomorrow and make sure there's another game guaranteed in Newark.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Jumped out to me that it appears Devils/Canes is the only series with no extended break this round, just alternating days from Games 1-7.

Makes me nervous about a return trip to Raleigh since an extra day of practice would do them some good when it comes to prepping for the Canes' line matching, but knowing there's at least going to be a Game 5 is a good problem to have right now.

Now win tomorrow and make sure there's another game guaranteed in Newark.

I mean the good news is that the Devils are younger than the Canes (or I think so?), so that its affecting both teams, but NJD needed it more coming into the series.

(If i remember correctly the 2012 scheduling was a bit wack too, at least going into the CF and SCF. But we had Kovy skating like a 50 year old on this busted back since the FLA series and every day meant there maybe hope for extended recovery.)

With this team, with this youth, they should be less impacted in theory, and so far no one seems massively impacted by injury, maybe except for Graves.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
This means very little to me. Evaluating a bottom pair defensive defenseman’s play with a sheet that doesn’t consider context and heavily favors offensive players doesn’t seem to be a great way to draw up a final conclusion
Offense aside, he has the second highest xGA on the entire team. Isn’t his entire role to have strong defensive impacts if he brings nothing offensively?

I think Bahl will have an important role of us long term, but to say he’s been good or solid in the playoffs is just inaccurate.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
My confidence in this team is a 10 out of 10. I think we can win the Stanley Cup.

My confidence in Vanecek is a 0 out of 10. Carolina should've scored 8 last night. He didn't make many (if any?) difficult saves, and on seemingly every high danger scoring chance he was clean beat. 4 posts, 4 goals behind him.

He cannot start game 4 or this season might be over.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
My confidence in this team is a 10 out of 10. I think we can win the Stanley Cup.

My confidence in Vanecek is a 0 out of 10. Carolina should've scored 8 last night. He didn't make many (if any?) difficult saves, and on seemingly every high danger scoring chance he was clean beat. 4 posts, 4 goals behind him.

I’m ready for an 11 game heater.

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ

I love the simplicity of your avatar.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I wasn't able to watch much of the 3rd period yesterday, I'm just going to assume the team took their foot off the gas a bit with all those shorites because otherwise that's rough. I know Ruff usually doesn't change a lineup after a win, but I wouldn't mind continuing to rotate guys in and out. If Smith is going to get all of Bahl's minutes, I'd rather sit Bahl and get Boqvist or Sharangovich back in the lineup to center the 4th line. You can still pick your spots to double-shift Jack.

I would lean toward Schmid over Vanecek for sure, but I think the goalie is mostly window dressing for this team as long as they aren't actively imploading. I don't think Schmid would have saved any of the games Vanecek has lost.

McLeod is an absolute dog. He’s completely elevated his game this postseason, like he just went full “playoff mode”.

Any Smith interview is good too. He’s insightful and thoughtful with his words.
Agreed on both counts. McLeod has really impressed me over the last 2 months or so, and not just because of his results. He's still not an analytics darling or anything but he clearly is capable of elevating his game when it counts. I just hope he ends up getting cleared of involvement with the situation.

I know Smith's penalty discipline is frustrating, but otherwise I think he's a solid veteran 7th D that brings a lot to the locker room. I don't think we can discount the impact he has off the ice.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I love the simplicity of your avatar.
Thanks! I can't take credit for the design, saw it floating around on google a while ago (with a red background I think?). My favorite mask in any sport ever. Got chills the first time I saw it leading our guys out of the tunnel for warmups, got chills the 4390824th time I saw it leading our guys out of the tunnel for warmups too.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Offense aside, he has the second highest xGA on the entire team. Isn’t his entire role to have strong defensive impacts if he brings nothing offensively?

I think Bahl will have an important role of us long term, but to say he’s been good or solid in the playoffs is just inaccurate.

What’s his xGA if you take out the Carolina series? Genuinely asking. I can only find full playoffs.

Either way, my point is, I don’t think it’s controversial to say that quantifying a defensive defenseman’s impact is much more difficult than one that pushes the play and generates from the backend.

I think Bahl played well in the Rags series. I don’t know what else to tell you. I’m sure there are a lot that agree.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
There’s been some revisionist history going on if we’re now saying “Bahl has struggled in the playoffs.” He had been very, very solid up until the past two or three games
Yeah struggled in this series maybe…the Canes speed and decision making is on another level from what he dealt with in the first round

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Bahl had by far the lowest xG on the Devils in the Rangers series and by far the highest xGA.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
I haven’t had a huge problem with Bahl, and that shift he had against Goodrow was legendary. But the difference in our ability to break out with him out there vs Luke was night and day. If you aren’t decisive with the puck, you get eaten alive by Carolina.
Yeah, to clarify -- I'm not saying "Bahl was so great against New York he has to start every game", I'm just saying I thought he was solid in round-1.

I'd like Bahl over Smith, but I assume it'll be Gravy in next game with Bahl/Smith both sitting.

Reactions: My3Sons

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
WOW. Didn’t see Jacks one handed back pass to Timo on goal one. Incredible!

IMG_7969.png
Listen, I’ve seen some silky smooth plays over the years, but wow, that really was smooth. Speaking of smooth, have you seen my skin!? Oho, oh my. Silky smooth! All thanks to
Genucel’s facial scrub and cream.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I don't really think there's much difference between Schmid and Vanecek at this point - each have weaknesses that Carolina can exploit.

The issue is the Devils team defense. Gap control needs to improve. Puck management / decisions with the puck at the blue lines need to improve.

I'm hoping Lindy is looking game plan tweaks for tomorrow. It doesn't feel like the Devils have found a structural flaw that they can exploit.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
i dont think ruff is a guy that changes a lineup after a win if no one is hurt but man thats going to take some balls going back to vitek for game 4. who knows though maybe the team will tighten up around him ? the devils would've won with either goalie in yesterday its just that with vitek the score was a lot closer then it should've been. i think schmid probably stops 2 of those pucks and an 8-2 win looks a lot better then 8-4

I’m not 100% sure, but hasn’t Vitek been bad with back to back games?

HoliksGhost

Oct 24, 2007
I don't really think there's much difference between Schmid and Vanecek at this point - each have weaknesses that Carolina can exploit.

The issue is the Devils team defense. Gap control needs to improve. Puck management / decisions with the puck at the blue lines need to improve.

I'm hoping Lindy is looking game plan tweaks for tomorrow. It doesn't feel like the Devils have found a structural flaw that they can exploit.
It’s the new NHL, you can win with mediocre goaltending. Possession of the puck, limit mistakes, maximize speed and quickness. Let the young guns prevail.

Reactions: tailfins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad