Pre-Game Talk: ECSF Game 3| Pittsburgh Penguins @ Ottawa Senators - Penguins lead series 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
People have been complaining about the volume level of the PA announcer/music in CEC since it opened. After the first season they sent out a survey to STHs and that was one of the biggest complaints (along with how crowded the upper concourse gets during intermissions). I'm pretty sure they actually turned it down some and it's still too loud.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I only really realized that Pittsburgh feeds drown out the noise when I got that month of free NHL Network and I was able to watch every Edmonton and Winnipeg game. When their teams score, you cannot hear the announcers over the crowd noise. The goal horns are a dead giveaway too.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
People have been complaining about the volume level of the PA announcer/music in CEC since it opened. After the first season they sent out a survey to STHs and that was one of the biggest complaints (along with how crowded the upper concourse gets during intermissions). I'm pretty sure they actually turned it down some and it's still too loud.

DA... that siren when the Pens come out is ****ing ridiculous. I love a rocking crowd and high volume, but it pierces through my brain. :laugh: It is so ****ing loud.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jaded - you know why I know NBC Sports drains the noise? Because the music/announcers voices are so loud in CEC right now and I can't even hear it over the speakers of my television.

Being at Game 1, I was like "wow.. the volume is turned up pretty damn high here compared to a regular season game." I could actually feel the vibrations from the bass coming out of the speakers. I'm listening on television and I can't even hear the music in the background it's so ****ing drained.

That was my dead giveaway. But why do they do it? So their announcers are more lucid? I want to hear noise. I want to hear craziness. It's playoffs.

Now that you mention it the speakers were louder in the playoffs. Noticeably so.

But that does not explain the same disconnect between what people experienced on television and what went on in the arena during the regular season. Same issues as now.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
DA... that siren when the Pens come out is ****ing ridiculous. I love a rocking crowd and high volume, but it pierces through my brain. :laugh: It is so ****ing loud.

I was actually kind of surprised when I watched a dvr'ed game in the first round after being there in person. The first giveaway to me was that air raid siren or whatever it is. It's so loud there it's actually kind of painful to listen to and you can barely hear 18K+ people yelling over top of it. On tv it didn't sound very loud at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love high volume too! But the CEC music was crazy high the first season they were over there. They have turned it up for the playoffs now but it was even louder that first regular season, it was awful. When you see people covering their ears during breaks in play you're doing something wrong. :laugh:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Like i've said before... sometimes sitting in the press box can be the best thing for players (Vitale, TK, and now Orpik). He sat with that injury and he instantly looks back to his old form. He has looked great.

I love how some posters on this board - not you Cole, mostly the guy you had the misfortune of quoting - seem to think that no player is actually bad. Orpik was horrific for much of this season. His play now doesn't change what his play was then, it only highlights WHY people were frustrated with him, because we all knew he could play better.

44 has been great, I hope he can keep it up the rest of the playoffs.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
https://twitter.com/emptynetters/status/336138669645770752

Chris Neil said Jason Spezza's return will open things up for Kyle Turris, "instead of going against Orpik every shift."

Anyone who questions how good Orpik is needs to read that, still cant believe there was people who thought pens should bench Orpik.

They should have during the season when he was playing badly. Now they shouldn't because he's playing well. It's not hard to figure out.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I love how some posters on this board - not you Cole, mostly the guy you had the misfortune of quoting - seem to think that no player is actually bad. Orpik was horrific for much of this season. His play now doesn't change what his play was then, it only highlights WHY people were frustrated with him, because we all knew he could play better.

44 has been great, I hope he can keep it up the rest of the playoffs.

Yep - and accountability is one hell of a thing. For Martin and now Orpik, I just take my hat off. I hope it lasts all the way to June.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm glad ANYONE is replacing Engo. He was awful. I'd love Despres as my #1 guy, but beggars can't be choosers.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
They should have during the season when he was playing badly. Now they shouldn't because he's playing well. It's not hard to figure out.

I admit he had a really bad stretch of games in the middle of the year, like almost every other player, Sid and Kunitz didn't look good at the very beginning of the year, Malkin and Neal also had a bad stretch of games, you don't bench guys like this who have such a good track record.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm glad ANYONE is replacing Engo. He was awful. I'd love Despres as my #1 guy, but beggars can't be choosers.

I really don't like the Murray - Eaton pairing. It's going to be up to Disco to keep them away from fast/skilled players. I would have preferred Despres also, but I think his 'handedness" is playing a part in this. The top-5 is, they just need someone who can play on the right side of the 3rd pairing, and they probably don't feel comfortable with Despres playing out of position.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I really don't like the Murray - Eaton pairing. It's going to be up to Disco to keep them away from fast/skilled players. I would have preferred Despres also, but I think his 'handedness" is playing a part in this. The top-5 is, they just need someone who can play on the right side of the 3rd pairing, and they probably don't feel comfortable with Despres playing out of position.

I was okay with Letang/Eaton. I thought they played 2009-like together except against Isles speed. Letang is playing much better against Ottawa. I'd go with that. Our 3rd pairing would be Nisky/Murray. Um... yes? :laugh:

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I really would rather see Despres and Jokinen in je 2 spots instead of Eaton and Glass.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If Vitale is out, Jussi better ****ing be the guy who goes in. I might have to step away from the computer until game time or my hate for Glass will look beyond childish.

You know how I got these scars?

RozQ5.gif

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Deep breaths, fellow HFers. Deep breaths. Let's enjoy this Sunday and wait to see what happens. :laugh:

Inkio

Jul 2, 2012
My god.... is Iginla back on the LW???

He basically played LW most of the game last game.

Also, wtf Juicy needs go in for Vitale if he is injured.. Not glass. Replace a face off guy with another.. Not glass..

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If Tanner Glass plays tonight, I'm going to lose it. It's like Bylsma simply can't help himself. Start winning a few games so the pressure is off, and suddenly he's gotta insert all his little toys back into the lineup.

I love this team, but God do I hate Bylsma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad