Pre-Game Talk: ECSF Game 3| Pittsburgh Penguins @ Ottawa Senators - Penguins lead series 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Glass can't deal with anything. He's an empty sweater at this point.

Sure, if that's what he's going to do. But that's why I thought we had Engo in over Eaton before. If Engo or Glass aren't punching a hole through Chris Neil's head I don't want them in the line up.

I'd rather not lose a D-man for 2+minutes.

Glass played every regular season game this season. I remember him dealing with exactly 0 BS.

He has, not many though.

How does Glass getting his ass kicked by Neil deal with Neil's BS? You make it sound like Glass is a legitimate enforcer who can keep Neil in line.

The overall answer to everyone, though, is I'd rather Glass be in the box with, Neil.

I'm sure most of you agree.

Edit: I forgot to mention Neil can't exactly fight either unless he has the overwelming advantage.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Why not go with 7 D? Eaton and Despres in. Doubleshift Dupes with the 4th line. He can handle big minutes as well as any forward on our team.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
The overall answer to everyone, though, is I'd rather Glass be in the box with, Neil.

I'm sure most of you agree.

No, I'd actually prefer for everyone on the team to not get involved with any sort of antics. The best thing they could do is just skate away from Neil if he tries to start anything.

I'd rather have 18 skaters who can help the team win rather than have 17 skaters who can, and 1 who is utterly useless but might sit in the box because of Chris Neil.

Why not go with 7 D? Eaton and Despres in. Doubleshift Dupes with the 4th line. He can handle big minutes as well as any forward on our team.

I like this idea.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Glass isn't a bad fighter. He doesn't always win, or even win most of the time, but he usually holds his own, no matter who he's fighting.

After what I saw from Engelland in game 2, he's probably too much of a liability to have out there.

I'd rather dealing with Neil's nonsense be Glass's responsibility than, IDK, Orpik's.

Glass doesn't do anything that wins a game, but he doesn't really do anything that loses one either. Honestly, I'm less concerned about Glass going into the lineup than I was about Engelland going into the lineup in game 1.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Man, remember early in this season when everyone thought we should trade Martin and shoot Orpik into the sun? (I'm certainly guilty on that last one.)

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I'm not saying I think it's a great decision, I just don't get all of the constant angst around here. I think some of the people around here need to start using recreational drugs or painting or something. An outlet for their rage. :laugh:

You shouldn't be dismissive of what kind of an impact a 4th liner can have on a hockey team. Limited ice time or not, a 4th line can go from an asset to a liability in very short order because of one player.

Juice in over Glass shouldn't even be a debate.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Man, remember early in this season when everyone thought we should trade Martin and shoot Orpik into the sun? (I'm certainly guilty on that last one.)

In fairness about Orpik, he recently admitted something close to the idea that he sandbags the regular season to try and stay healthy for the postseason.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Orpik's certainly looked better recently - and it's about ****ing time.

Hope he can keep it up through the playoffs. "Good Orpik" is an asset. "Bad Orpik" (aka "overwhelming part of the past couple seasons Orpik") is a liability.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

I'm in the same boat as you and I also need to eat some serious crow on TK.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
No, I'd actually prefer for everyone on the team to not get involved with any sort of antics. The best thing they could do is just skate away from Neil if he tries to start anything.

I'd rather have 18 skaters who can help the team win rather than have 17 skaters who can, and 1 who is utterly useless but might sit in the box because of Chris Neil.

Except his antics could cost you one of your players. Targeting and actually hurting, Sid, Geno, Neal, ect...

I'd rather Glass come up in his face and sit with him eliminating that for as long as it goes for, penalty wise.

You can't let stuff like that go. Neil will not go with any of the true fighters since he's a punk like that. That's where Glass comes in and takes him out of the equation for a spell.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Except his antics could cost you one of your players. Targeting and actually hurting, Sid, Geno, Neal, ect...

I'd rather Glass come up in his face and sit with him eliminating that for as long as it goes for, penalty wise.

You can't let stuff like that go. Neil will not go with any of the true fighters since he's a punk like that. That's where Glass comes in and takes him out of the equation for a spell.

If a player truly wanted to hurt someone, I don't think they'd care who else was in the lineup. Glass isn't going to deter him from anything.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
You shouldn't be dismissive of what kind of an impact a 4th liner can have on a hockey team. Limited ice time or not, a 4th line can go from an asset to a liability in very short order because of one player.

Juice in over Glass shouldn't even be a debate.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I get people not wanting Glass to play. What I don't get are the histrionics and utter freak-outs that crop up immediately whenever something even mildly controversial happens, particularly before anything is even confirmed and in light of the fact that Vitale is only sitting because he's hurt and the buzz among the media is that Jokinen may be hurt as well.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Has anyone else noticed our PK has gotten a ton better since Glass hasn't been playing? The guy literally only takes up space on the ice.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Joe Vitale is winning 56.1% of his face-offs. He's fast, he's physical, he's tenacious, he never takes a shift hard, and he makes the Penguins 4th-line hard to play against.

Basically, he is Sidney Crosby without size or offensive skill.

Replacing him with Tanner Glass and not expecting a monumental drop-off is both ignorant and arrogant.

One of the biggest reasons the Penguins are 4-0 in their last 4 games, outside of the goalie change, is the fact that the Penguins went from chasing the game with their 4th line to being able to dictate pace with their 4th line.

Go re-watch game 2 (Senators). There was no "free shift" for the Sens. They couldn't relax against the 4th line. In fact, prior to last game (so games 5/6/1), the 3rd and 4th lines (when Kennedy would move up to the 3rd line) had some of the most consistent puck possession.

You need 4 reasonable lines to win in the playoffs. I'm not saying you need your 4th line to score, but it can't be a liability out there. When Tanner Glass is on the ice, the 4th line is a liability. It may not be the reason the Penguins win or lose this series, but it is a big deal moving forward.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Disco Dan is the patron saint of talentless grinders like he was.

And not to beat a long dead horse that Ottawa and other fans keep resurrecting but:

"We need to get off to a better start," noted center Kyle Turris in what is perhaps the understatement of understatements.

He and his teammates said it was obvious the Penguins, who usually start with Crosby's line on the ice in the hopes of getting a quick start, fed off the home crowd.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/playoffs/201...p-playoffs-senators-focused-fast-start-game-3

For those who will continue to question the crowds at CEC, here is a clue. Just because you saw ****ing saw this guy on television does not make him real either.

x_bob_esponja_8.gif

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I think you're misunderstanding me. I get people not wanting Glass to play. What I don't get are the histrionics and utter freak-outs that crop up immediately whenever something even mildly controversial happens, particularly before anything is even confirmed and in light of the fact that Vitale is only sitting because he's hurt and the buzz among the media is that Jokinen may be hurt as well.

I didn't see the news that Juice might be hurt (not that I don't believe you, I just didn't see it), but Glass is literally the worst player on the roster. Unless Vitale, Jokinen, Jeffrey, and Bennett are unable to play, Glass shouldn't be oout there.

edit: this isn't freaking out or histrionics. IT'S ****ING FACT!!!!! INDISPUTABLE COLD HARD FACTS!!!! Like magnets!

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Has anyone else noticed our PK has gotten a ton better since Glass hasn't been playing? The guy literally only takes up space on the ice.

Yeah, and I'm going to bug out a bit when he's taking defensive zone faceoffs while he's pk'ing tonight. Already know it's going to happen.

It does say something about Shero that one of the worst moves he's made was to sign Glass to a multi-year contract. Can't pk, offensive black hole, not fast enough to cause havoc on the forecheck, not good on faceoffs, not even a good fighter. Yet he somehow always finds a way into the line-up. What makes it worse is that at the times this year with Bennett on the 4th line or even in the playoffs with TK and Vitale is that having a not terrible 4th line really helps. Now we're likely to go into a playoff game with a line of Glass-Adams-Kennedy. At least the good TK will make it not a complete mess 5-on-5. FWIW, I don't think Adams has ever looked worse at even-strength than he has lately and the bar was low to begin with. And I'm not a complete Adams hater either.

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad