Pre-Game Talk: ECSF Game 3| Pittsburgh Penguins @ Ottawa Senators - Penguins lead series 2-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fleury, specifically. I actually think Emery's turn-around is really interesting, since he was such an incredibly mentally weak goalie on the Sens.

Seeing people talk about him like he's a legit 'tender is always strange. Emery is and always will be for me the basket-caseiest basketcase this side of the insane asylum.

I agree completely, actually.

Ron Tugnutt was pretty mentally strong though.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Fleury, specifically. I actually think Emery's turn-around is really interesting, since he was such an incredibly mentally weak goalie on the Sens.

Seeing people talk about him like he's a legit 'tender is always strange. Emery is and always will be for me the basket-caseiest basketcase this side of the insane asylum.

even more than Roman Cechmanek? Or Dan Cloutier?

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I hope to win at least one there. Obviously I'd like a sweep, but I'd take a split too

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I guess there is a goalie controversy amongst Sens fans now after Anderson got yanked & Lehner looked good in relief.

I don't see how they can't start Anderson, but I actually don't mind who starts. The Pens have had their way with Anderson and while Lehner was really solid last night it was his first playoff appearance and he came in mid-game. He didn't have time to sit around all day and think about it, no time to get nervous. I'd be ok with them giving the start to a playoff inexperienced goaltender who has all day to think about facing Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Iginla, etc. etc. in what is more or less a must-win game for them.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
it would be tough to bench Anderson, he hasn't been great in the games against us but he hasn't been Fleury bad and was excellent in the 1st Round.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Re: The Isles

To use a boxing analogy, styles make fights. I think honestly, the Isles just had the right combination of speed and tenacity to give our slower team a ton of grief. I don't feel nearly as nervous against any of the other teams in the league.

Someone mentioned in one of the closed threads about how we shouldn't reward Byslma for sticking with the stretch pass. While that's true, it also shows that, for all we ***** about it, the stretch pass also works wonders against a great number of teams. Not the greatest coaching by any means, sure, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater just because the Isles were fast enough to throw into one of our breakout schemes.

The Leafs absolutely burned Boston all series long with the stretch pass. If not for a historic ten minute collapse, the stretch pass would of been one of the biggest reasons the Leafs upset the Bruins. The Leafs were using the stretch pass masterfully when it was there and making sound decisions when the Bruins took it away.

I still have to laugh at the people who think DB has one breakout in his system and forces the team to use it for every structured breakout. That would make the Pens the only team I've ever heard of in org. hockey that uses one breakout.

Apparently under DB, the puck carrier must do the stretch pass no matter what he sees. No outlets, no gaining the line, no regroups, just stretch that ****er....

I heard a twitter rumor the stretch pass is why James Neal is so lazy.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Since Neil feels the need to go after Sid all the time, I hope Cooke is ready to welcome Spezza back to playoff hockey.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I hope they're all ready to welcome Spezza back. The Sens' strategy seems to be to try to hit Sid any chance they get, and you can't blame them for that. The Pens should and likely will do the same with Spezza.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
Tips to win: destroy

9s4cra.jpg

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Apparently Sens fans feel that the DEAD SILENCE in our arena is unbearable "regardless of what we say." Because, you know, we're big fat liars and all.

Personally I'd think they'd be more worried about their team's poor showing in the first two games, being down 2-0 in a series against the team that dominated the East all season, and/or still losing on a night when our goalie had an uncharacteristically bad game. But whatever. I'm sure that the DEAD SILENCE in our arena is a very important issue as well. Looks like we won't be getting the Loud Arena Stanley Cup. :nopity:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm going along with the "Spezza won't be that big of a factor" crowd. He's played 3-4 games all season. He'll be off and will have a huge target on his back. Hit him and Karlsson hard and often, short series.

Allie Kitsune

Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Apparently Sens fans feel that the DEAD SILENCE in our arena is unbearable "regardless of what we say." Because, you know, we're big fat liars and all.

Personally I'd think they'd be more worried about their team's poor showing in the first two games, being down 2-0 in a series against the team that dominated the East all season, and/or still losing on a night when our goalie had an uncharacteristically bad game. But whatever. I'm sure that the DEAD SILENCE in our arena is a very important issue as well. Looks like we won't be getting the Loud Arena Stanley Cup. :nopity:

Well of COURSE the Sens' arena is the loudest every night.

What ELSE would you expect when it's packed with Leaf fans or Hab fans every night?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
With Turris dominating Sid on the draw, one would assume that MacClean will be matching up Spezza against Malkin.

A tall order for a guy just coming back, but certainly also one that is going to ask questions of Geno's line defensively.

I hope we can see us build on game two. Much more varied breakout, with D-men mixing up long/short passes for forwards coming back for support, or skating it to the red line before dumping it in.
We need to stay with this to limit turnovers and get to work in the offensive zone. If we have a lot of offensive zone time against this Ottawa team, we win.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Well of COURSE the Sens' arena is the loudest every night.

What ELSE would you expect when it's packed with Leaf fans or Hab fans every night?

:laugh:
My thought as well. This is an arena located in Canada that hasn't even consistently sold out, so...I'm sure they're the best and loudest fans evar.

Making up stories to poke fun at things that don't even have an effect on the game, the last refrain of those about to golf. At least they're not crying about reffing. :sarcasm:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Spezza's always played well against the Pens, but I see him only being a factor tomorrow, especially after the first few shifts, on the PP. Could help them out big time there.

As in any other shift in venues, the Pens will need to weather the storm in the first few minutes. I hope Despres or Eaton is in for Engo, but I don't think that will happen.

I caught some of a post-game interview with Orpik last night. He probably spent half of it talking about how good the Islanders were and, in true hockey understatement, implying that the Sens weren't as good, which I think most here would acknowledge.

Allie Kitsune

Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Just kind of a random thing, but I really wish that the Penguins' fanbase carried as far out through PA as the Steelers' fanbase does.

My part of PA is full of Steelers fans but not a whole lot of Pens fans (though I do see them now and then).

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Steelers are a perennial powerhouse, they've got fans everywhere. They're like the Yankees/Lakers of the NFL, everyone jumps on the bandwagon because barring an out of character year (like last season) they're always in contention for a championship. And they're almost always better than the Eagles so people in the middle of the state tend to go with the Steelers since they don't have a team that's really local.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
So does Anderson start tomorrow for the Sens? if he does not, then Sens are quick to throw Anderson under the bus. I think they may try him tomorrow. They rode him through the Habs series, why give up on him now? Besides, i want 4 more Pens goals tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad