Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 1 - It Don't Come Easy - BRUINS 3 Tampa Bay 2 F

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
This is the PO's, neither his GAA nor his SV% is in the top ten. Can we stop pretending here. He was great tonight and other than that slip up in the 1st game he was good there to but other than that he's been below average so stop putting the lipstick on the pig.
They dont ask how.....they ask how many.

If he was just average last night Bruins lose.

Halak is doing everything fans hoped he would.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Only saw the last ten minutes live had to watch the 1st 50 later. Good thing about watch a recorded game is you're more likely to back and see what really happened than when watching a live game.

Though Pasta was really good tonight. Two goal posts, a goal and an assist , a couple of good backchecks, he makes it look so easy.

Halak was great tonight both goals not his fault. Glad to see him play better, wasn't overly confident with his play before tonight.

Kase could never score a goal for the Bruins and I still would want him on the team. He does so much right makes no sense he hasn't scored yet.

I was against taking Lauzon out of the line-up for Clifton but I was wrong , he has been amazing.

Lovin' Krejci PO mode.

Carlo still not impressing. Gonna need him to find his game soon.
Great post.

But Carlo had his best play off game last night.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I would normally agree with your shiny new toy theory.

But all it takes is an eyeball test for me. The play ended on Bjork’s stick last night more often than he connected a pass. Every now and then he used his speed successfully, but overall, meh.

Studnicka actually created more plays and created dangerous scoring opportunities with his passing in his small sample size. I’m not biased, but can’t say Bjork created one play in any game that he’s played.

Tampa had last change.
I don't think you want Studnicka lining up against Kucherov/Point. Even without Stammer, Tampa's got a tonne of firepower and their transition game is as good as anyone's. Their defence is awfully good also - and they have this guy named Hedman back there. I don't see Studnicka having more success, as playing against Tampa is how other teams view playing against The Bruins - you've got to be damn careful or it's going the other way and in the back of your net. They cut space and time down as good as anyone in the league.

I'm not a huge Bjork fan but I trust him, today, more than I do Studnicka against a team like Tampa. They can victimize teams. And if a player tries to do too much they rip it apart. - you even saw it last night with Marchand of all players a few times.

I think it's easier for Bjork to play a calm game than it would be for Studnicka whom might want to 'prove' himself and get in trouble.

False Start

May 8, 2018
The boys all have their heads up, our skill players are dodging their goons. Not going to be 2018 all over again with TBL cheapshotting our players left and right.

Kuraly and McAvoy put Pacquette on his ass twice. Our 4th line is finishing checks, Ritchie is finishing checks. We took it to them in Game 1 physically.

Love to see it.

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
The Halak takes in here are bad, and you should feel bad if you made them. Lol this "top 10" concept.

Of the top 10 goalies, who is playing still?

Varlamov 1.67, .934
Hart 1.71, .943
Grubauer 1.87, .922
Vasilevskiy 2.08, .925
Lehner 2.10, .918
Halak 2.23, .921

Our boy is right there. He's played so few games that those 2 goals deflected off Charlie last night are the difference between being 4th there in GAA, and not. His save percentage is essentially as good as anyone not named Varlamov or Hart.

He'll get that 2.23 closer to 2, and that's gonna be sufficient. Only one of Hart of Varlamov can move forward, and hopefully we eliminate Vasi. Not so many "great" goalies left then, amirite?

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
The Halak takes in here are bad, and you should feel bad if you made them. Lol this "top 10" concept.

Of the top 10 goalies, who is playing still?

Varlamov 1.67, .934
Hart 1.71, .943
Grubauer 1.87, .922
Vasilevskiy 2.08, .925
Lehner 2.10, .918
Halak 2.23, .921

Our boy is right there. He's played so few games that those 2 goals deflected off Charlie last night are the difference between being 4th there in GAA, and not. His save percentage is essentially as good as anyone not named Varlamov or Hart.

He'll get that 2.23 closer to 2, and that's gonna be sufficient. Only one of Hart of Varlamov can move forward, and hopefully we eliminate Vasi. Not so many "great" goalies left then, amirite?
as said before halak is the better goalie to face tampa. rask plays horrible against tampa. im just worried for next round if fatigue starts to hit him. we have no proven nhl goalie for backup.

Reactions: Gordoff and sarge88

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
as said before halak is the better goalie to face tampa. rask plays horrible against tampa. im just worried for next round if fatigue starts to hit him. we have no proven nhl goalie for backup.

He hasn't had to shoulder much of a season.

He has no travel.

I dunno, I don't think fatigue is a big issue here. Best way to avoid that is a short series :)

Reactions: Gordoff and lopey

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Is anyone still scared of the big, bad Tampa Bay Lighting?
I’ll let you know when the series is over.
No time to be complacent.
They have some fringe goons who are going to start targeting our finesse players (in order, Pasta, DK, PB, Marchy and Chahley) in order to remove them from the series.
Killorn, Maroon and Pacqutte likely suspects.

Bruins4Life136

Apr 30, 2019
The boys all have their heads up, our skill players are dodging their goons. Not going to be 2018 all over again with TBL cheapshotting our players left and right.

Kuraly and McAvoy put Pacquette on his ass twice. Our 4th line is finishing checks, Ritchie is finishing checks. We took it to them in Game 1 physically.

Love to see it.

Hopefully not. I want revenge for that series in 2018. Couldn’t take losing another series to them.

Reactions: Gordoff

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Glad to see many giving props to Halak. He was solid
He plays more back in the net than Tuukka and at times when Tuukka goes from post to post he overplays and is caught our of position. Not so with Halak.

That deflection last night by Coyle inspired me to pour a big honkin' whiskey. Incredible!

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
I was critical of 47 and 25 in the pregame thread, so I gotta give them kudos for stepping it up last night.

Krug especially was playing smarter. Great transition plays, bet he wanted the helper on that Kase breakaway haha. Carlo was able to do his thing, and had a smart offensive play himself. Good stuff.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Halak's a better puck handler than Rask. That's a major plus against a team like Tampa. Helps the small defensemen from getting crushed too often.

aguineapig

Great post.

But Carlo had his best play off game last night.
They had stated that Carlo had bulked up a good bit during the "off-season" and that in itself is not a bad thing. But with no training camp per se, has had no time to readjust to it. It's coming now though. It will always be about his stick and stride with him, his skating allowed him to claim so so much ice with those. The strength was needed though for along the boards and net front. Charlie is the top dog, he will have the highlight reel hits like on Staal and Scheifele, Carlo will be just damned hard to play against. Charlie, Carlo and Cliffy pretty darn good right side, all right.

Reactions: Gordoff and PaulD

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I was critical of 47 and 25 in the pregame thread, so I gotta give them kudos for stepping it up last night.

Krug especially was playing smarter. Great transition plays, bet he wanted the helper on that Kase breakaway haha. Carlo was able to do his thing, and had a smart offensive play himself. Good stuff.

Still hope this series gets Carlo's temperature up more. He is so much more of a force when he isn't playing passive. Steps in the right direction last night for sure.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
B's were 2nd in the league on the power play in the regular season.

So I'd say Cassidy (and assistant coaches) has handled the power play pretty well all year.

By the end of the season it had gotten too predictable & teams knew how to counter it. Putting DK out there added more unpredictability, more movement and thus better scoring chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad