Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 1 - It Don't Come Easy - BRUINS 3 Tampa Bay 2 F

Riley 88

Jan 24, 2020
Only saw the last ten minutes live had to watch the 1st 50 later. Good thing about watch a recorded game is you're more likely to back and see what really happened than when watching a live game.

Though Pasta was really good tonight. Two goal posts, a goal and an assist , a couple of good backchecks, he makes it look so easy.

Halak was great tonight both goals not his fault. Glad to see him play better, wasn't overly confident with his play before tonight.

Kase could never score a goal for the Bruins and I still would want him on the team. He does so much right makes no sense he hasn't scored yet.

I was against taking Lauzon out of the line-up for Clifton but I was wrong , he has been amazing.

Lovin' Krejci PO mode.

Carlo still not impressing. Gonna need him to find his game soon.
Carlo is entering big wimp mode for me. Never seen a Dman get pushed around so much. This guy needs to up his physical play.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Good first win of the series. 3rd line is still a bit of a black hole and both Bjork and Ritchie see the lowest TOI on the team.

Bjork struggles to bury chances and is just up and down all game long with his play. Skills there, but he just lacks finish. As someone whose a big Bjork fan. Id hope we'd start to see some finish

Ritchie continues to be "meh" for me. Not terrible, but not good. Was shocked to see he had 5 hits last night because I dont recall him taking 5 shifts. The only two things I remember of him last night was getting a roughing penalty for a scrum and then losing a puck battle to Kevin freaking Shattenkirk and ended up on his butt.

Noticed Ritchie a few times finishing checks on the Tampa d-men as they were exiting the zone when most players would lay off. And like seeing that. It helps in a long series. Wish he was a touch faster but he takes good angles so that he can put the shoulder into players as compared to a stick check. And there is some offensive ability to his game. If he can work on it and up his speed just a small touch he'd be a really effective player that would make life miserable for the other teams defence.

Never know what I think of Bjork. It's like he tries and has talent but just isn't quite up to par with the rest of the team. Over the next season (if we have one) it'll either click or it won't. He's definitely an NHL calibre player - just a question of whether he's an NHL calibre player on a Cup contender.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
How bad can you be at player evaluation if you said Chara was done like 5y ago... No worries. I won’t name you.

:laugh:
It is all on the coach and in a positive way. Chara is stil god in tight areas (without the puck in his feet ;)) and when the paste is lower.

Speed coming out offensive zone are becoming an issue.

Good on Cassidy staff, put Chara in his strenght.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I dont know if it was just me but they looked SLOW. Gryz was too fast for any of their big guys to even touch last night.

Side note, my heartaches for Ondrej Kase. This man deserves a goal so badly.

on a sidenote: I hadn't realized until recently that Kase, and Nick Ritchie, were both from the '14 draft were the Bruins picked up Pasta, Bjork, Heinen and Donato. - Brayden Point on the other side is from that same draft also. Just... sometimes players seem like such different ages. Considering that was a really weak draft, The Bruins have had 6 players from it that have surpassed 100 games (there's only around 40 guys that have) and 4 guys currently in their top 9.
I'm probably the only one that finds it interesting but... whatever.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I completely disagree....Bjork worked his arse off last night whereas Ritchie continues to meander along like it's a pre-season game. Bjork came so close to scoring a beauty in the 3rd.

Still better options for the line up than inserting meandering Ritchie.

I can't believe some folk in here like what they're seeing from Ritchie. Shocking.

Bjork is almost always going to be noticed more because his skating is top level. Bjork did nothing aside from one good scoring chance where (guess what) he didn't score again and a couple of other forgettable shots.

Prior to that scoring chance in the 3rd, he stupidly tried to skate through 2 Bolts going the wrong way and almost turned the puck over in a dangerous area.

Not saying Ritchie dominated, but he had 5 hits, at least one was a heavy hit on a TB defenseman, was a plus 1 and could have had an assist if Vasilevsky didn't make a great save on McAvoy.

Not bad for 9 minutes and change.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I did as well. It was such a dominant PP and you could see Pastrnak right there, waiting despite the seemingly casual movement on Krejci. That was the best individual PP I've seen in a long time, possibly since Savard even.

It was so clear the Bruins were playing chess and Tampa PK was not.

Even if it wasn't The Bruins and just some random team - I'd want to watch that again and just tip my cap. That was as well executed and pretty of a power play as we get to see.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
1. I love Charlie Coyle.
2. David Krejci is a playoff god. He held that puck for what seemed like hours before whipping that pass off to Pastrnak who promptly buried it. We are going to miss DK when he's gone.
3. Tampa Bay is dirtier than underwear that hasn't been washed in a month.
4. Having guys like Wagner, Nordstrom & yes Ritchie in the lineup helps negate #3.
5. I love Charlie Coyle.

SAVEBYTHOMAS

Sep 28, 2006
boston
Agreed. Shiny new toy syndrome. He hasn’t looked as good as some fans on here suggest. From what I’ve seen, Bjork and Studnicka have been very comparable. Both work hard and get a few chances but neither has the hands to bury the chances. Both decent third liners.
I would normally agree with your shiny new toy theory.

But all it takes is an eyeball test for me. The play ended on Bjork’s stick last night more often than he connected a pass. Every now and then he used his speed successfully, but overall, meh.

Studnicka actually created more plays and created dangerous scoring opportunities with his passing in his small sample size. I’m not biased, but can’t say Bjork created one play in any game that he’s played.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
1. I love Charlie Coyle.
2. David Krejci is a playoff god. He held that puck for what seemed like hours before whipping that pass off to Pastrnak who promptly buried it. We are going to miss DK when he's gone.
3. Tampa Bay is dirtier than underwear that hasn't been washed in a month.
4. Having guys like Wagner, Nordstrom & yes Ritchie in the lineup helps negate #3.
5. I love Charlie Coyle.

Bergeron - Krejci - Coyle - Kuraly. Best centre depth in the NHL.
Not just 'playoff' Krejci - love seeing him out there on the first power play unit and with Kase. He's never captured the imagination of Bruins fans like Bergeron or Marchand have but he's been that third pillar for so long that we sometimes forget how integral he is to this team.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bergeron - Krejci - Coyle - Kuraly. Best centre depth in the NHL.
Not just 'playoff' Krejci - love seeing him out there on the first power play unit and with Kase. He's never captured the imagination of Bruins fans like Bergeron or Marchand have but he's been that third pillar for so long that we sometimes forget how integral he is to this team.

IMO moving DK to the first PP unit is the best decision Cassidy has made all season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad