Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 1 - It Don't Come Easy - BRUINS 3 Tampa Bay 2 F

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Ritchie and Bjork both played under 10 minutes, meaning Coyle is reduced to a 4th line center at even strength with them on his wings.

Even with special teams play, Coyle played less than Kuraly and Nordstrom.

There is only so much ice time as well, and the 4th line is our second shut down defense line. With the second line playing so well of late, someone isn't going to get the time.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Bjork is almost always going to be noticed more because his skating is top level. Bjork did nothing aside from one good scoring chance where (guess what) he didn't score again and a couple of other forgettable shots.

Prior to that scoring chance in the 3rd, he stupidly tried to skate through 2 Bolts going the wrong way and almost turned the puck over in a dangerous area.

Not saying Ritchie dominated, but he had 5 hits, at least one was a heavy hit on a TB defenseman, was a plus 1 and could have had an assist if Vasilevsky didn't make a great save on McAvoy.

Not bad for 9 minutes and change.
Exactly. Some here are expecting way too much out of a guy who hasn't had a lot of playing time. We need to see him in a lot more stuations to judge him.
Yes. Because the odds of a hit gone wrong on someone like Krug, Gryz, Marchand, Pastrnak, Krejci, Kase, etc etc increases with every loss.

It is a very even hockey match up if last night's Halak is the Halak we see each game, which is very encouraging.
Very encouraging.
Anyway we don't really have a choice, he's the best most experienced goaltender in the organization who's available and he's improved a lot in the last 2 games.

Carlo is entering big wimp mode for me. Never seen a Dman get pushed around so much. This guy needs to up his physical play.

He shows signs of becoming a big meanie but then he seems to regress. I think it's just a matter of playing more. I expect that he'll be better and better with each game. He's been out of the playoffs IIRC 2/3 playoffs since being here with injuries and this years disjointed season/playoffs are tougher on some guys than they are on others.
on a sidenote: I hadn't realized until recently that Kase, and Nick Ritchie, were both from the '14 draft were the Bruins picked up Pasta, Bjork, Heinen and Donato. - Brayden Point on the other side is from that same draft also. Just... sometimes players seem like such different ages. Considering that was a really weak draft, The Bruins have had 6 players from it that have surpassed 100 games (there's only around 40 guys that have) and 4 guys currently in their top 9.
I'm probably the only one that finds it interesting but... whatever.

You're not alone, I find it interesting too. Some drafts take longer than others to show how good they were. It also shows how important it is to concentrate on every pick no matter which round. Bruins have pulled some incredible talent in the second round of drafts through the years.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Bjork is almost always going to be noticed more because his skating is top level. Bjork did nothing aside from one good scoring chance where (guess what) he didn't score again and a couple of other forgettable shots.

Prior to that scoring chance in the 3rd, he stupidly tried to skate through 2 Bolts going the wrong way and almost turned the puck over in a dangerous area.

Not saying Ritchie dominated, but he had 5 hits, at least one was a heavy hit on a TB defenseman, was a plus 1 and could have had an assist if Vasilevsky didn't make a great save on McAvoy.

Not bad for 9 minutes and change.

Ritchie's coasting and delayed behind the play checking was fantastic.

Reactions: DarrenBanks56

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Ritchie got his legs moving in the 3rd . I’d be willing to give him another game . Personally, I would like to see Lindholm back in on the 4th line and move Kuraly up with Coyle .

This is the issue...any one of Studnicka, Lindholm, and Kuhlman bring much more to the game/team than Ritchie.

BTW I agree, Lindholm or Studnicka should be in the line up over Ritchie.

I'm still trying to understand what exactly Ritchie brings to the team.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Ritchie and Bjork both played under 10 minutes, meaning Coyle is reduced to a 4th line center at even strength with them on his wings.

Even with special teams play, Coyle played less than Kuraly and Nordstrom.

I noticed that last night. Not the best use of Coyle.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
This is the issue...any one of Studnicka, Lindholm, and Kuhlman bring much more to the game/team than Ritchie.

BTW I agree, Lindholm or Studnicka should be in the line up over Ritchie.

I'm still trying to understand what exactly Ritchie brings to the team.

The toughness this team desperately needs against Tampa. Far more useful at this point than a 7th PKer in Lindholm who does nothing else but try hard.

This series is going to get nasty, and like it or not Ritchie is the only one besides Chara that Tampa's fake tough characters will cower from.

If the Bruins have a two or three goal lead on the final shift of the game, do you want Lindholm or Ritchie out there with Kuraly, Wagner, and Chara? Tampa's characters know which Bruins to avoid eye contact with and which to throw punches at in a scrum, we know this. We've seen it repeatedly this season and in game 1.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Game 2 gameplan for Tampa is going to be one of trying to injury one of our smaller guys. or go hard on Krejci and Pasta.
The hit by Killorn on Mcavoy wouldve put anyone of our smaller players out for the series. That was brutal and hopefully Killorn pays for it.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The center spine of this team is insane, honestly. It's the biggest advantage the Bruins have over any team.

aguineapig

Ritchie at this point is a Nuclear deterrent it seems. The Duck fans who commented on this board after the trade said he was not devoid of skill, but seldom applied it. He's got one more year left I believe on his contract. So if he can't figure it out then he and brother Brett can become the terrors of an Ontario beer league together. Hopefully that becomes a motivator.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Game 2 gameplan for Tampa is going to be one of trying to injury one of our smaller guys. or go hard on Krejci and Pasta.
The hit by Killorn on Mcavoy wouldve put anyone of our smaller players out for the series. That was brutal and hopefully Killorn pays for it.

Killorn's dirty late hit on Mac reminded me of that other team we played in last year's SC Final series trying to deplete the B's roster

..thank God Mac was OK

If that bullshit continues the Bruins should start targeting some of the Bolts top players, although I really hope it doesn't have to come to that

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
During the regular season I thought he was much better. I wonder if he is playing with an injury.

If he's not it might be a confidence issue. I saw him retrieve the puck behind his net and before he touched it he saw Krug nearby and just left it... his face said "go ahead I don't want it you take it". I almost laughed knowing players like that...
He's capable of so so much more.

Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Encouraging win, poor Charlie deflecting both goals into our net. How many posts did we hit? I think 2 or 3. This could have been a real runaway game. It will be interesting to see how Tampa responds, I hope they are still mentally fragile and the B's can take it to them. McDonagh not at practice today, still no Stamkos and it sounds ominous about a possible return during the series. Take advantage tomorrow!

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I've got my issues with Ritchie (who doesn't?) but IMO he remains in the lineup. You saw how he stepped in when some TB asshole tried to go after Coyle, we need players who will do that in this series. Not that Charlie can't take care of himself but why take a chance on him breaking a hand when Ritchie can intervene?

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
...also I had no issue with Ritchie's game last night. It's about the best we can expect.
Same. And I've soured on his game quite a bit.

IMO Carolina was a lot faster of a team whereas he seemed to be able to keep pace with Tampa for the most part last night. Not to mention getting benched probably lit a fire under his ***.

For now he stays in.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I've got my issues with Ritchie (who doesn't?) but IMO he remains in the lineup. You saw how he stepped in when some TB asshole tried to go after Coyle, we need players who will do that in this series. Not that Charlie can't take care of himself but why take a chance on him breaking a hand when Ritchie can intervene?
I thought he was fin last night to be honest. Won some puck battles along the wall. Didn’t goof up too man zone exits.

I mean really he’s a 3rd line winger. If the success of the Bruins hinges on his (or any) 3rd or 4th line winger contribution they have bigger issues

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
That's the most frustrating thing for me about Brandon Carlo. He can bring the nasty and he's very effective when he does but he goes long stretches of playing passively.
Brandon is the type of player that needs to get smacked first, before he gets mad/nasty. Before the game, in the hallway, someone should hit him real hard a few times and piss him off.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad