ECQF/MDSF: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes | Game 7 is Coming | Part 2

Who wins game 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
People who say that Oshies injury was because of dirty hit or reckless or anything like that havent played hockey ever..
It was unfortunate but so Basic hockey that it hurts my eyes to read that there were a hit from behind.. We had more physical game as kids in school yard games.
Whoa just a minute here. I have played hockey all my life and that hit is dirty and has always been considered dirty. It is complete carelessness and lack of respect.
The hit many not have been vicious but because Oshie was in such a vulnerable spot and was hit from behind the hit was very dangerous. It was all about his distance from the boards. Foegele should have known better. Wrap him up and rude him into the boards. Dont crosscheck him in the back when he is 5 to 10 feet from the boards when the trajectory is directly at the boards. It was si easily avoidable. Was this idiot not taught how hit? DUMB. Ive seen a player get paralysed from a similar hit.
In a way I'm glad the league didn't discipline him. Wilson will take care of the punishment.
BTW if you play the game you should be embarrassed by your comments to say a hit from behind is basic hockey. Unf***ingbelievable.

Lawd Stanley

Apr 10, 2017
The Great White North
In my eyes it was a crosscheck to the back. That’s not even a question. The thing is on video replays it doesn’t look violent enough to have caused that level of impact with the boards. Yes it was at a distance but poor TJ lost an edge and hit the boards in the absolute wrong way and broke his collarbone. I wish him a speedy recovery and that he’s back next year guns blazing. He’s a great player and a great person. But if it was Wilson did the exact same thing to a Canes player and the exact same injury occurred more Caps fans would be able to see that the crosscheck just wasn’t THAT hard. And Osh knew he was there. Not sure if into caught him by surprise or what. Just bad luck. Didn’t look malicious or dirty but def against the rule and worthy of a penalty. Not sure why they waited until they saw the injury to call that actually. And it could have been a double minor possibly too. But let’s move on to game 5. Go Caps!!

EDIT: the hit would be considered dirty if it was harder but there would have to have been a decent amount of additional force to it in my humble opinion. And don’t get mad it’s just my own opinion.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I hate the Capitals and couldn't care less about the Hurricanes. Though, their Romper Room antics make me hate them. Warren Fogel needs a beating after that dirty act of aggression towards T.J. Oshie. This is where, historically, it's would have been important for Tom Wilson to pick his spots better. He's performed a great deal of uncalled for acts of aggression, but Fogle deserves one, and I wouldn't mind Tom Wilson giving it to him. But his history would saddle him with a lengthy suspension, which could be a deterrent for him. If it's not, that's fine, too. I support all harm that the Caps may bring Fogel on the ice. That was a dirty crosscheck.
Dirty to me implies intent to injure. I think it was a stupid play, deserving of at least a 2 and no more than a 5, because dirtiness is not required for a penalty.

A player has absolutely got to be aware of the fact that players have a much harder time keeping their balance when shoved from the back. You see it along the boards and in front of the net all year, a seemingly small shove sends the guy flying forward to the ground.
And Oshie was traveling at speed (would have a harder time controlling himself generally), and was obviously going to lean back to not run himself straight into the boards (and was already leaning; and that quality ice doesn’t help) and of course most importantly, it was a shove into the back. That has always been a penalty and accident or not Foegle has to be aware, just as any player who gets a high stick.

It was a reckless, irresponsible play that caused a noticeably bad injury. Not worth getting upset beyond that. I think it should have been a 5, but I understand and accept the 2 given the context

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I guess every fan which team might meet Caps or Canes in later rounds enjoying this series. So many dirty plays and injuries. And it's not done yet.
Actually there have been no dirty plays from the Caps. Svechnikov wanting to fight and getting his butt kicked is not a dirty play. The other Carolina injury last night was not a dirty play, the guy injured his own knee trying to change directions with Orlov. The Foegel play was unequivocally dirty and the kid claiming it was a lift check was a bold faced lie. Brind’Amour’a statement was even more egregious.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shtorm2005

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
All the back and forth “your team is dirtier” “no YOUR team is dirtier” every other post from both sides, this is easily the most annoying series thread I’ve had to enter as a Caps fan lol

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
Dirty to me implies intent to injure. I think it was a stupid play, deserving of at least a 2 and no more than a 5, because dirtiness is not required for a penalty.

A player has absolutely got to be aware of the fact that players have a much harder time keeping their balance when shoved from the back. You see it along the boards and in front of the net all year, a seemingly small shove sends the guy flying forward to the ground.
And Oshie was traveling at speed (would have a harder time controlling himself generally), and was obviously going to lean back to not run himself straight into the boards (and was already leaning; and that quality ice doesn’t help) and of course most importantly, it was a shove into the back. That has always been a penalty and accident or not Foegle has to be aware, just as any player who gets a high stick.

It was a reckless, irresponsible play that caused a noticeably bad injury. Not worth getting upset beyond that. I think it should have been a 5, but I understand and accept the 2 given the context

It was intent to injure.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
All the back and forth “your team is dirtier” “no YOUR team is dirtier” every other post from both sides, this is easily the most annoying series thread I’ve had to enter as a Caps fan lol

It may also be the first time the Caps’ reputation as the winner in said conversation has ever been question :laugh:

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
as a canes fan, i definitely think the Capitals are easily the more talented and experienced team (although the Oshie injury is a big blow); i wouldn't even debate that. But the most talented team does not always win. team chemistry has a lot to do with it. we'll see what happens.

Also, I understand the pain of having my favorite player hit with a scary injury. I was literally sick to my stomach seeing Svech knocked out like that (although God willing he may actually end up returning in good health); so I understand the rage of the Caps fans and I don't think any injured player should be mocked. (And no I'm NOT calling Ovi dirty. I didn't love the fight but Svech was an idiot for getting into it and just got flat out spanked). Emotions already run high in a series like this, but the amount of injuries and questionable hits (on both sides) has made it really...well, toxic.

Just hoping we can end this series with relatively little chaos and best of luck to whoever goes on.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
as a canes fan, i definitely think the Capitals are easily the more talented and experienced team (although the Oshie injury is a big blow); i wouldn't even debate that. But the most talented team does not always win. team chemistry has a lot to do with it. we'll see what happens.

Also, I understand the pain of having my favorite player hit with a scary injury. I was literally sick to my stomach seeing Svech knocked out like that (although God willing he may actually end up returning in good health); so I understand the rage of the Caps fans and I don't think any injured player should be mocked. (And no I'm NOT calling Ovi dirty. I didn't love the fight but Svech was an idiot for getting into it and just got flat out spanked). Emotions already run high in a series like this, but the amount of injuries and questionable hits (on both sides) has made it really...well, toxic.

Just hoping we can end this series with relatively little chaos and best of luck to whoever goes on.
This 100%, as a caps fan, I would much rather keep my hate for Pens and Rangers fans (no offence to those fanbases, but y’all killed the caps for too long), and if we lose, we lose. We won the cup last year, I’m good with that, and anything else is icing. I’d be happy for the canes if they find success these playoffs

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

"had to enter"? maybe there's your problem. go outside, read a book.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
This literally was called charging, you can even see the ref raise his hand in the video. Did you guys even watch the game?

That’s a textbook charging minor... of which it was called.

I think the point is there have been plays by both teams that have been on the edge this series. Both Canes and Caps fans shouldn’t pretend their players have been saints by any stretch. Foegeles play on Oshie wasn’t any more egregious than dozens of other ones that have happened over the last 4 games, it just had an unfortunate result.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Can we all just move on from the Foegele play?

flogging_dead_horse_what.jpg

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I think the point is there have been plays by both teams that have been on the edge this series. Both Canes and Caps fans shouldn’t pretend their players have been saints in this series. Foegeles play on Oshie wasn’t any more egregious than dozens of other ones that have happened over the last 4 games, it just had an unfortunate result.

The twitter post clearly infers that this was not a called penalty. Whether you’re using it to make a point or not doesn’t take away what others are saying about it.

There are differences between minor and major penalties, the outcome of the penalty and egregious nature is what differs the two. Vrana’s charge was a textbook charge because he left the ice, but he provided no follow through and principal point of contact wasn’t with head. To me it looks like Vrana jumped to avoid contact, regardless of intent, clear minor.

Oshie hit’s not really comparable in the same sense. I’m not going to litigate intent as it’s a fools errand, but the outcome and place on ice it was committed designates it as a major to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad