ECQF/MDSF: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes | Game 7 is Coming | Part 2

Who wins game 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
There are differences between minor and major penalties, the outcome of the penalty and egregious nature is what differs the two. Vrana’s charge was a textbook charge because he left the ice, but he provided no follow through and principal point of contact wasn’t with head. To me it looks like Vrana jumped to avoid contact, regardless of intent, clear minor.

Oshie hit’s not really comparable in the same sense. I’m not going to litigate intent as it’s a fools errand, but the outcome and place on ice it was committed designates it as a major to me.

Like you said, don’t state Vranas intent as being noble in trying to avoid contact when you have no idea on that. Vranas play could have ended up just as bad if not worse given the speed and trajectory of the hit. If you want to deal in hypotheticals you can do that on both sides. I can easily claim that Foegele was only giving a minor push on a fairly low speed play with no intent to injure at all.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
Actually there have been no dirty plays from the Caps. Svechnikov wanting to fight and getting his butt kicked is not a dirty play. The other Carolina injury last night was not a dirty play, the guy injured his own knee trying to change directions with Orlov. The Foegel play was unequivocally dirty and the kid claiming it was a lift check was a bold faced lie. Brind’Amour’a statement was even more egregious.

[MOD]
Excuse me? There are video clips of the games showing Caps players hitting from behind against the boards and hits with both feet a foot off the ice that were never called, because it's Wash. Don't even go there. Caps have played as dirty as they come. Foegel's hit had a very unfortunate outcome, but there was no intent to injure. He said...he barely hit him, and that his orig intent was to tie up his stick, and he went down awkwardly. He said he hoped he was alright. Foegel's not a dirty player like Orpik or Wilson. And Roddy only meant he has THREE guys out now to try and cover for, not that he was glad TJ was injured. I guess he could have phrased it better.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Like you said, don’t state Vranas intent as being noble in trying to avoid contact when you have no idea on that. Vranas play could have ended up just as bad if not worse given the speed and trajectory of the hit. If you want to deal in hypotheticals you can do that on both sides. I can easily claim that Foegele was only giving a minor push on a fairly low speed play with no intent to injure at all.
Outcome is a factor in determining major v minor though...

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Outcome is a factor in determining major v minor though...

Outcome was a factor in that it got called a penalty at all. Hand doesn’t go up until the refs see Oshie lying on the ice. It’s not even a penalty without that because most of the time it’s an uneventful play. Player gets shoved from behind a decent amount out from the boards. Guy doesn’t lose his edge and play continues. That’s the usual script on that one.

Giving Foegele a 5 and a game or a suspension on a play like that would be like doing the same on someone who trips a player while trying to stop a breakaway attempt and the player goes sliding into the goal post and gets a concussion.

Last edited:

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Excuse me? There are video clips of the games showing Caps players hitting from behind against the boards and hits with both feet a foot off the ice that were never called, because it's Wash. Don't even go there. Caps have played as dirty as they come. Foegel's hit had a very unfortunate outcome, but there was no intent to injure. He said...he barely hit him, and that his orig intent was to tie up his stick, and he went down awkwardly. He said he hoped he was alright. Foegel's not a dirty player like Orpik or Wilson. And Roddy only meant he has THREE guys out now to try and cover for, not that he was glad TJ was injured. I guess he could have phrased it better.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
The penalty arguments are so tiresome in the playoff threads. Can we just agree every player in the league is a dirty sob who will try anything they can to win and hope to not get caught. Refs missed stuff on both sides. Your never going to convince an opposing fan that your guy only meant to further promote his opponent to a better contract by making his name a household name by getting tattoed into the boards. Wilson's a dirty player, foegule mclovin is a scum bag. Hockey players are scum bags on the ice. Everyone get over it. Even the almighty Crosby is a dirty player, same for ov.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
The penalty arguments are so tiresome in the playoff threads. Can we just agree every player in the league is a dirty sob who will try anything they can to win and hope to not get caught. Refs missed stuff on both sides. Your never going to convince an opposing fan that your guy only meant to further promote his opponent to a better contract by making his name a household name by getting tattoed into the boards. Wilson's a dirty player, foegule mclovin is a scum bag. Hockey players are scum bags on the ice. Everyone get over it. Even the almighty Crosby is a dirty player, same for ov.

Yes. Thank you. It’s hockey, not f***ing croquet. Players are on the edge this time of year. Sometimes the cross the line, sometimes refs miss it. It’s ok to call it out when it happens but to pretend like it doesn’t or only one team is doing it is idiotic.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Pumped for game 5, Canes have impressed and I hope Carolina kicked the caps in teeth hard enough to make them realize the canes never were going to gift them the series.

Playoff wins are simple, get the puck to the net, north south, swarm the net, rough up anyone near you and score the ugly goal. Its like they forgot everything they somehow learned last year.

No more trying to stickhandle thru and only look for the amazing pass.

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
It is not even noon here and I am eagerly waiting this game tonight. I hope the Capitals can put a lot of pressure on the Canes in the offensive zone and they can good redirects in front of the net from big slap shots from Carlson and Ovi. Lets Go Caps!!!!!

Reactions: peterthegreat12

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Hagelin, Vrana on the second line? That’s a lot of quickness. Go caps, should be a good game. Before tensions are high just know I don’t hate the Hurricanes all that much, it’s cool to see new teams in the playoffs.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
No Pittsburgh. No Tampa. The East is getting close to toss-up territory. We could look back at this game a few months now and see it not only as pivotal for this series, but for the playoffs as a whole. I firmly believe that if the Canes can win this series, they have a shot at going on a run deep into the playoffs.

I expect Washington to bring its structure at home and clamp down on a forward group short 3 Top 9 forwards. Mrazek needs to bring his A+ game tonight.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
In theory, but the reverse is possible. Isles could get rusty from so much time off. Let's hope Trotz keeps them humming
At this point, I won’t doubt Trotz. The stuff he’s done so far, this team is always ready. They’re hungry, I wouldn’t worry too much about that. The longer this series goes only benefits us. Gives Boychuk a little more time to recover as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad