ECQF/MDSF: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes | Game 7 is Coming | Part 2

Who wins game 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
But that isn't the rule and jamming at a loose puck is hockey 101, these goals are allowed ALL THE TIME. Mrazek did not have the puck under his pad, it was loose and that's what Ovechkin hit first.
Wow you sure have eagle eyes to see the puck was loose that that is what Ovie hit, The rest watching saw Ovie hit Mazrek's pads spinning him and sending the puck in the net.

Maybe you should do replay for the NHL with eyes that good.

JohnCarlsaurus

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Jan 29, 2009
FL
Caps fans get screwed by these type of goalie situations all the time. Not Carolina fault but the league is a joke when it comes to what is and isnt goalie interference.
View attachment 219589
dennis-rage-gif.gif

Goddammit I still get pissed seeing it. That play is nightmare fuel.

Not looking forward to another game 7

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
the one that comes to mind most to me is Theo Fleury(Rangers) on Patrick Roy (Avs) IIRC. Fleury falls on his back and goes skates first into Roy, pushing him into the net but the puck goes in first. Cant find it online tho.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
There's really no sense arguing the call, particularly as no fans are going to change their mind on it. Fans (all fans, not just Caps and Canes fans) are inherently biased. Try as we might, it's virtually impossible for us (at least most of us) to look completely objectively at a play because we have a vested interest in the play going our way. We have invested way too much in the teams we follow to allow us to be truly unbiased. If the call is overturned, a lot of Canes fans would be pissed. The call stands, a lot of Caps fans are pissed. Same goes for marginal hits. Fans of the "hitter" almost always side with their player (unless it's really blatant) and fans of the "hittee" almost always side with their player. It's natural.

I think rules are written clearly for the most part, but interpretation of rules requires a human factor (was a guy pushed and it was unavoidable, did the puck get knocked in before contact, did the contact prevent the goalie from playing it, etc)....and since no two plays are exactly alike, no two interpretations are going to be exactly alike. It's part of the game, and frankly, I think professional sports leagues actually like the controversy, because it's press and because it gets more people talking about it long after the game is over.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Honestly not surprised, though a little disappointed we are at Game 7.

This is not directed at you but how can anyone be surprised anymore in the playoffs? The margin is razor thin between all the teams that make the playoffs, every single one. It is all basically a hope and a guess in these series.

If you look at all the advanced stats, and some of the basic stats, shots for, shots against, goals for, goals against, goalie stats, etc. This series is exactly where it should be, game seven.

Now the fact that the Capitals earned more points than the Hurricanes during the regular season gives them home ice, which in theory should give them a slight edge. Last change, crowd support, an extra call or non-call. The way I see it, it is the only edge the Capitals really have in the series, an extra home game. We'll see if it helps.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Total outside view (Leafs fan)...a couple of seasons ago, the puck was lying under our goalie....Malkin pushed the whole goalie over the line...not just the pad, the goal was allowed after a challenge.

It's literally a coin toss at this point...

Then there are these goals that were allowed....

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
I'm thinking there's a 75% chance the Caps win tomorrow. But that 25% chance is why they play the game. A couple breaks (calls, bounces, etc.) could decide it either way.

If the Canes win this series I think it will be for Carolina fans like if the Caps make it back to the Cup Finals for Washington fans. We're just entering our "legitimately competitive" phase.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is not directed at you but how can anyone be surprised anymore in the playoffs? The margin is razor thin between all the teams that make the playoffs, every single one. It is all basically a hope and a guess in these series.

If you look at all the advanced stats, and some of the basic stats, shots for, shots against, goals for, goals against, goalie stats, etc. This series is exactly where it should be, game seven.

Now the fact that the Capitals earned more points than the Hurricanes during the regular season gives them home ice, which in theory should give them a slight edge. Last change, crowd support, an extra call or non-call. The way I see it, it is the only edge the Capitals really have in the series, an extra home game. We'll see if it helps.

I think that's the biggest thing personally. There's no debate that the Caps have more skill/talent upfront and when they can dictate the match-ups, it much more difficult on the Canes and allows the Caps to play their game. When the Canes can dictate the match-ups in Carolina, they can somewhat contain the higher skill/talent level and then use their speed, effort, forecheck to carry the play and take away part of the Caps game. In Washington though, the Caps get to dictate the match-ups and take advantage of that.

Canes will need to figure out a way to overcome that (if they even can), or get a goalie that stands on his head to have a shot at taking this.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013

Yes and no. Not surprised by many of these series because the margins are razor thin - the difference between winning the Metro and being the 2nd wild card was 6 points. So a close Carolina-Caps series is to be expected.

But, it's hard not to be surprised by the Tampa CBJ series. Those of us who follow the Metro know how good CBJ can be [they smoked the Caps this year] and they only got better once the tradeline acquisitions settled in. I knew they'd give Tampa a lot more trouble than the NHL "experts" predicted as some were saying Tampa would sweep, but no one saw the CBJ sweep of Tampa coming. So, yes there are some surprises still out there.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Yes and no. Not surprised by many of these series because the margins are razor thin - the difference between winning the Metro and being the 2nd wild card was 6 points.

This is exactly right....and to put a finer point on it, the Caps and the Canes were only separated by 5 points in the standings. They had the exact same ROW (44). The Caps were better at putting the puck in the net and the Canes were a bit better at keeping the puck out of the net. This series is seemingly going exactly the way the season long script was written.

I'm just excited for Game 7!

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
hopefully williams has a big game

hes played very poorly so far and made a lot of mistakes. getting that goal last night was huge, but still needs to be better than he has been. amazing how good he still can be at 37

caniac247

Nov 1, 2006
Raleigh
I had Caps in 6, so getting to game 7 is pretty exciting.

Home ice has proven to be the difference maker as the home team has won every game. The canes said from the start they have to win atleast one in DC in order to move on. Well that time is here. Can they do it?

Canes have Mr. Game 7 who has been really quiet this series. Although, he decided to show at a good time last night. Let's hope he shows tomorrow.

One big problem the Canes will have is not getting last change. At the start of the 2nd, the coaches moved Hamilton away from Ovechkin which proved to be key. Ovechkin is all in Hamilton's head and he can't think or do anything right when he's out against him. Getting him away from Ovechkin was probably the smartest move. But being in DC, caps have last change and if I were them, every time Hamilton came over the boards, I'd send Ovechkin out.

I'm proud of the guys no matter what happens. But when watching the Dallas/Preds game last night on NBCSports and saw their playoff commercial which showed highlights of every team currently in the playoffs, minus the Canes. I really need the Canes to win so 1) NBC has to redo their stupid commercial and put the Canes in it and 2) would be cool to have all 4 wild card team advance to the 2nd round.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
But that isn't the rule and jamming at a loose puck is hockey 101, these goals are allowed ALL THE TIME. Mrazek did not have the puck under his pad, it was loose and that's what Ovechkin hit first.

69.6 Rebounds and Loose Pucks - In the event that a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck by an attacking player after making a stop, the goal will be disallowed.

Reactions: The S5

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Wow you sure have eagle eyes to see the puck was loose that that is what Ovie hit, The rest watching saw Ovie hit Mazrek's pads spinning him and sending the puck in the net.

Maybe you should do replay for the NHL with eyes that good.
The puck was loose and there are an abundant stills of it. If you look from the overhead angle he clearly hits the puck first and doesn't nearly push the pad as the reverse angle misleads.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
It just isn't what Ovechkin hit first and all angles show that
It absolutely is and you see it on the overhead shot, the reverse angle camera is entirely misleading. The puck is on its way into the net by the time he makes contact with the pad.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
69.6 Rebounds and Loose Pucks - In the event that a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck by an attacking player after making a stop, the goal will be disallowed.
Please, I could pull up a myriad examples that disprove this and many others have already shared examples that show this rule is so loosely applied that it's almost a judgement call. In terms of examples we have last nights was mild and the goal should have stood.

jerksforlife

Apr 22, 2019
I had Caps in 6, so getting to game 7 is pretty exciting.

Home ice has proven to be the difference maker as the home team has won every game. The canes said from the start they have to win atleast one in DC in order to move on. Well that time is here. Can they do it?

Canes have Mr. Game 7 who has been really quiet this series. Although, he decided to show at a good time last night. Let's hope he shows tomorrow.

One big problem the Canes will have is not getting last change. At the start of the 2nd, the coaches moved Hamilton away from Ovechkin which proved to be key. Ovechkin is all in Hamilton's head and he can't think or do anything right when he's out against him. Getting him away from Ovechkin was probably the smartest move. But being in DC, caps have last change and if I were them, every time Hamilton came over the boards, I'd send Ovechkin out.

I'm proud of the guys no matter what happens. But when watching the Dallas/Preds game last night on NBCSports and saw their playoff commercial which showed highlights of every team currently in the playoffs, minus the Canes. I really need the Canes to win so 1) NBC has to redo their stupid commercial and put the Canes in it and 2) would be cool to have all 4 wild card team advance to the 2nd round.
I hope we win and nbc keeps their stupid commercial throughout. Leave us out, we don’t care regardless.

jerksforlife

Apr 22, 2019
It absolutely is and you see it on the overhead shot, the reverse angle camera is entirely misleading. The puck is on its way into the net by the time he makes contact with the pad.
I feel you’re missing the point. Rule 31 -Referees, section 2 - Disputes: act of blowing the whistle stops play. Like it or not, I don’t really care.

Get ready for game JDub ‘cause you ain’t arguing a game 6 win for the caps yo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad