Pre-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 5 4:08 PM - THE BEAR tries to harpoon the whale - NESN, SN, NBCSN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Ritchie isn't suited for playing against a quick team like the Hurricanes, furthermore Wagner and Lindholm have been very good, no need to make that change. If we advance and play heavier teams like TB, Philly or the Isles, I believe Ritchie will see more action.

Wagner Lindholm have been way more physical in all aspects of the game over Ritchie.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Hey when I try to access the Rask interview (weei.radio.com) it says I cant because I am from EU :(. Something about his kids, right?

aguineapig

We here all love our hockey team the Boston Bruins. We all follow them through the good and the bad times. We all try to cheer on our team on to the Cup. It took me a lot of years though to realize that not all things Black and Gold are Black and White. Life deals us some bad hands, I still recall clinging to a radio for a weekend trying to get any update on Normand Leveille. And the sick feeling while watching Patrice Bergeron lying on the ice in a completely silent Garden. But we say our prayers and play on. Because that's who we are, this is what we do. Cheer for our team. The Boston Bruins, our team, with all of our history, as great as any ever.

Reactions: Ladyfan and Gordoff

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Hey when I try to access the Rask interview (weei.radio.com) it says I cant because I am from EU :(. Something about his kids, right?

Here you go:

Ever since Tuukka Rask opted out of the NHL playoffs on Saturday morning prior to the Bruins' Game 3 against the Hurricanes, there has been lots of speculation about why he did so.
Rask previously revealed in a text message to Dale Arnold that there was a family emergency, but that everything was now fine.
Listen Live Now on WEEI
In a pair of phone conversations with WEEI's Greg Hill on Tuesday, Rask shared more details about what happened, and Hill relayed the contents of their conversations Wednesday morning on The Greg Hill Show. (Listen to the full segment here or watch the video above.)
"He is concerned right now with not being a further distraction for his team, which is in the middle of the Stanley Cup Playoffs," Hill said. "He would prefer not to be the story and be something those guys are asked about repeatedly as they try to win a Stanley Cup.
"I can tell you that he got a phone call in the bubble from his wife, because there was a medical emergency with their daughter. Basically the kind of situation where I believe Tuukka Rask did what every parent would do and was obviously very concerned. It was suggested they seek medical help. Without revealing what that was, because I think I probably should leave that to him -- he did tell me -- as a father of two kids, I would be panicked and alarmed upon hearing that about a young kid.
"Again, without necessarily revealing what he would not want me to reveal, he did speak to his daughter and his daughter did express something to him about where he was and what her situation was, which I think would lead any father, any parent, especially one who feels like that's their most important job, parenting, to want to rush to be with their family at that time. Personally, I can't imagine being away from your family, away from your young kids, hearing your daughter say what she said, and not being panicked.
"So he made the decision to come home, and I think he knew that there was no way while that was going on that he would be the best teammate, be the best goaltender for that team that is in the middle of the Stanley Cup Playoffs."
Hill said Rask didn't say if he had any plans to return to the Bruins later in the postseason, noting he would probably have to have that conversation with general manager Don Sweeney and team president Cam Neely before making a decision.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Got bored while I was waiting for a massive data file to download for work and decided to pull the rel numbers for the Bruins in the Carolina series. Just like a stop like, green is towards the top on the team, yellow in the middle and red at the bottom.

View attachment 362228

As expected guys like Marchy/Bergy are towards the top (mostly green). Maybe the biggest surprise though is Grz whose top 3 in every category but HDCF% Rel where he ranks 5th.

So, what exactly are these categories?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I know everyone here wants to close this out but maybe today's game is the time/place to start him? I mean just about any goaltender could've done the job that Halak did the other night IMO. It was a fair/mediocre job at best. Not to dump on Jaro but you're right, see what we have with Vlad so that we're not having to find out in an emergency situation. Hey David Ayres, the Zamboni driver:naughty: who played goal for the 'Canes and beat the Leafs could probably fill the bill!?!:sarcasm:
Can’t risk giving the Canes any life. Vlad getting inserted into a series clinching game isn’t the best idea. Too much pressure for a youngster when not necessary. While Halak struggled in game 4 he is a veteran goaltender. Close them out.

Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Got bored while I was waiting for a massive data file to download for work and decided to pull the rel numbers for the Bruins in the Carolina series. Just like a stop like, green is towards the top on the team, yellow in the middle and red at the bottom.

View attachment 362228

As expected guys like Marchy/Bergy are towards the top (mostly green). Maybe the biggest surprise though is Grz whose top 3 in every category but HDCF% Rel where he ranks 5th.

Grzelcyk has always been an advanced stats darling. One thing I'd love is if they had a way to adjust numbers based on zone starts. It's not surprising to see that 4th line with negative xGF% Rel when they're playing a mostly defensive role.

I know there are people who don't like advanced stats, but the positive that I see from it is that it can confirm what your eyes are telling you. If you asked people which players had performed well versus which ones hadn't, I think just about every one would line up. The only outlier might be Bjork, but playing with Bergeron and Marchand brings his numbers up.

Reactions: OneManIsNoMan

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Ritchie isn't suited for playing against a quick team like the Hurricanes, furthermore Wagner and Lindholm have been very good, no need to make that change. If we advance and play heavier teams like TB, Philly or the Isles, I believe Ritchie will see more action.
Maybe, but think Wagner’s seemed a step behind his usual, and Lindholm is a decent stopgap but doesn’t really move the needle.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
They must be feeling good about their dominance in that 3rd period. If they attack game 5 with that same attitude I don't see how they could possibly lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad