GDT: ECQF Game #1; Toronto Maple Leafs @ Boston Bruins | Series Tied 0-0 | 7PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Just dropping in so I can put it on the record that Leafs are going to win this series. It has nothing to do with avenging 2013, this is a totally different team who doesn't give a damn about that. They're going to win the series, and I think they should be favorites, Boston's toughness(some of you guys seem to think they still employ Luicic, Horton, Boychuck, Thorton) and experience are being overrated(Tampa has more recent playoff success and more players with experience but everyone was chomping at the bit to play them). The Bruins top line is the odds on favorite to be the best in the series but Matthews will not get dominated by him night in, night out like some are afraid of he should be able to break even and will likely win a couple of games of the matchup and has a chance to win the majority, he might lose the matchup but it will hardly be a series ending blowout.

After that we put our "spreading out the talent" philosophy to the test where we should handle them, they have more of an influx of young depth talent than in the best but our guys are the veterans compared to most of them for what its worth and Marner, Kadri, and JVR need to step up and be the best forwards after the first line. Defense is always questioned but Boston's is far from Nashville, I think Leafs are pretty close to the Bruins Rielly is the best dman in the series for my money, Chara has slowed down by playoffs a couple of times we'll see how he does and how he handles the Leafs speed, Gardiner played like a 1D last year here's hoping he brings it again, Zaistev well he pretty much sucks I hope he's a bit better but if he's not...don't be surprised to see more minutes for Dermott.

Positive posters on this board insist the Leafs have been coasting most of the season on autopilot, not trying in meaningless games. And they have looked pretty anemic at times. But if we believe they're saving an extra gear(and we've obviously seen this team put their foot on the gas pedal) then I hope that's been for a reason because Boston's been going full throttle for a while so if there is anything(anything at all) to this theory of handling the grind of 82 games(see also: handling of Matthews ice team) this should be where it pays dividends. On a related note to this Babcock is considered the best coach in hockey by many and I think he has the more talented roster here, at worst its incredibly close, so one would imagine this gives us some kind of advantage.

TL/DR: Leafs will win, and are not underdogs.

I wouldn't say the Leafs haven't been trying but I think it is possible they have an extra gear, we'll find out soon.

I think it's important to realize that it's not Matthews vs Bergeron, it's the Matthews line vs the Bergeron line. While I think Matthews can play Bergeron to draw or maybe even win, I don't think we can reasonably expect Nylander and Hyman to not get outplayed by Marchand and Pasternak. If that line loses over the course of the series but keeps it close, that would be great.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
So pumped for tonight! If the Leafs win this series, is Game 7 automatically exorcised?

That depends on what happens in the last game of the series. It must be in a somewhat dramatic fashion. Either a blowout, OT goal, or another kind of highlight reel type moment to close the game. Or simply winning game 7 if it goes to that.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
This is what we have been waiting for for months! Lets go Leafs! Make us all proud!
PS. Time to put my Babsocks on... :)

Still need to get myself a pair of Babsocks, but my leaf socks jumped out of the dryer this morning when I opened the door. They are ready to GO!!!

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
That depends on what happens in the last game of the series. It must be in a somewhat dramatic fashion. Either a blowout, OT goal, or another kind of highlight reel type moment to close the game. Or simply winning game 7 if it goes to that.

If we win game seven 4-1, with Kadri getting the fourth goal, it's erased.

Reactions: The Cobra

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Edwards love us. Seriously, I've caught Bruins games against other teams where he spontaneously starts to gush over our youngsters.

The thing with Edwards is that his homerism comes out when he gets emotional. In normal situations he's an excitable guy with a lot of love for hockey, but when it starts to get emotional he bleeds black and gold.
haha I would imagine we would be the same if we were announcing for say the bruins, once the emotion took over it would be us bleeding blue and white lol.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Too many of our folks ruin it for the rest of the fanbase. Tons of Leaf fans drop in to argue/troll/be smug on other boards. No surprise that other teams would rather just not have the bother.
Yeah...i've noticed since the playoffs thread opened up for the series (not GDT) on the mainboards, not many Bruins fans are talking other than the regulars like BruinsLVGA, PB37, Alicat, TSBruins13; who have also now pretty much disappeared as well. Could be for a number of reasons that you mentioned - personally I don't really care where they want to discuss but would be cool if both fanbases could take part in the same GDT - makes it more entertaining, but on the flipside could also result in moderators being overwhelmed with having to police everything and then not be able to enjoy the game which sucks too.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Yeah...i've noticed since the playoffs thread opened up for the series (not GDT) on the mainboards, not many Bruins fans are talking other than the regulars like BruinsLVGA, PB37, Alicat, TSBruins13; who have also now pretty much disappeared as well. Could be for a number of reasons that you mentioned - personally I don't really care where they want to discuss but would be cool if both fanbases could take part in the same GDT - makes it more entertaining, but on the flipside could also result in moderators being overwhelmed with having to police everything and then not be able to enjoy the game which sucks too.

They can. Fanbases bicker. It's sports. It was the same way in the Washington series last year.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I thought the "Elbows" pasta was supposed to be Marchand at first because he's dirty and elbows people so didn't know why he was there twice :laugh:

Reactions: supermann_98

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
You work at a dil do factory? ;)
20180407_215257.png

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I'm trying to be optimistic.

If we lose it's probably because of our own players and not theirs

Status
Not open for further replies.