GDT: ECQF Game #1; Toronto Maple Leafs @ Boston Bruins | Series Tied 0-0 | 7PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I think everyone is over rating the Matthews vs Bergeron matchup. I think babs is going to try to play the Plekanec line against them

Doubt it.

The Bergeron line is going to play around 20 mins a game (if not more), there's no way Babs plays our 4th line that much. Now there may be spots here and there, but I can't see it being the primary match up for the Leafs.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I woke up in the middle of the night and my first thought was...

Roll 4 lines. Short shifts max effort.

Line matching strategy: No Bozak line or Polak pair vs. Bergeron line. Keep it simple on the road. Start on time and play disciplined.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
its game days ladies and gentlemen, lets f***ing goooooooooooo! LEAFS IN 6!!!! GET YOUR HOT TAKE HERE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stand witness to greatness motherf***ers we got this

f*** the bruins
f*** boston
LEAFS IN 6

HANTA YO
HEAVE AWAY
GUD MEN
LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Why all the talk about Boston playing heavy? Is that just code for lack of skilled players?
Other than Backes and Charra they’re that big are they?
You're right, they're not the biggest team in the League by a long shot (they were in the bottom half in this regard either before or part-way through the season (prior to acquiring Nash, I believe)).

Having said that, you don't need to be heavy to play heavy, and the Bruins still seem pretty capable of bringing the intimidation. They certainly don't have a lack of skill.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You can't hit what you can't catch - Play with speed and smarts, and we can handle them.
I was referring to penalties not being called, not being hit. I would be very surprised if Boston allows this to become a track meet.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Why all the talk about Boston playing heavy? Is that just code for lack of skilled players?
Other than Backes and Charra they’re that big are they?

I seem to remember Kadri running over Chara last time we met in the playoffs and he's fought Backes twice, don't think anyone on the team is scared of the big bad bruins.

If we play hard and keep our feet moving there's no reason we can't win this series

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I was referring to penalties not being called, not being hit. I would be very surprised if Boston allows this to become a track meet.

If the refs keep their whistles in their pockets, Babs needs to use his influence and put pressure on the refs to start calling cheap shots and interference penalties. Babs has a big role to play in this series. He is paid the big bucks to find a way to win these series. Babs > Cassidy.

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
You can't hit what you can't catch - Play with speed and smarts, and we can handle them.

True. However if they let Boston clutch and grab especially at home it may be hard to overcome. Babcock calling out the refs hopefully very subtlety could be as important as the Bergeron Matthews match-up. Marchand has said how he hates playing against Plek. We need that Plek to show up. Especially at home when the match-ups favor us. Damn, i'm ready. GO LEAFS GO!!!!!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Doubt it.

The Bergeron line is going to play around 20 mins a game (if not more), there's no way Babs plays our 4th line that much. Now there may be spots here and there, but I can't see it being the primary match up for the Leafs.

That is hard to see indeed.

Leafs don't have a playoff gear, they are soft soy boys and will be run over at some point in these playoffs. Men against the soy boys I'm sorry to say. I feel sorry for Frederik Andersen.

And I feel sorry for you. :(

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Doubt it.

Plekanec has played great against the bs for like a decade. Obviously I could be off here but he was acquired for a reason. He loves kappy and Leo. I don’t think it will just be a 10 min 4th line.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Plekanec has played great against the bs for like a decade. Obviously I could be off here but he was acquired for a reason. He loves kappy and Leo. I don’t think it will just be a 10 min 4th line.

I think the 4th line gets more minutes if we are ahead. If not, Babs will lean on his horses.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Our best bet on the road is for the Matthews line to play the Bergeron line pretty evenly, and then rely on the Kadri and Bozak lines to score against their weaker depth. I'm sure Babcock will also double shift Matthews in place of Plekanec a few times to try and get him away from the tough matchups. That would be a really scary line with Johnsson over Kapanen, but that's not happening.

If Plekanec and Komarov see over 15 minutes, we've either got a massive lead or we're in a lot of trouble. We probably can't play shutdown hockey better than them, but we can definitely outscore them. Play to your strengths.

Reactions: ToneDog

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Fair enough. Could very well be that the winner of this series is whoever is best prepared to force their game on their opponent. As much as I agree that the Bruins won't want this to come down to run and gun hockey, the Leafs should have something to say about that.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dude, where you been? Haven't seen you since you predicted the "18 wheeler" back in mid January.

Guess the wounds have healed from all the licking over the past 2 months?

Reminds me of those ole Timex commercials - takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Reactions: egd27

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Last years HNIC opening playoff video for leafs vs caps, always pumps me up for leafs games. The song fits being a leafs fan perfectly.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Kadri Line will be the main matchup against the Bergeron line.

But the fact we can put Plekanec out there if needed is big as well

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
This is it! It's time! Now is not the time to look back. Now is not the time to look forward. NOW is the time to look your opponent in the eye. Time to show your opponents that there is NO fear! Only the will to win and the passion to succeed. After all it's the Stanley Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino