GDT: ECQF Game #1; Toronto Maple Leafs @ Boston Bruins | Series Tied 0-0 | 7PM CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
They'll try to hem us in our own zone and exploit our lack of physicality by winning puck battles along the boards. If we want to win this thing, our defencemen are going to have to react quickly and give our forwards a chance to hit them with our speed on the counter.

Reactions: DarkKnight

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I’m ready to see this group exorcise the demons. The old roster back in 2013 wouldn’t have been able to do it this year. But Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Andersen, Dermott, and Babcock? Those guys have all the mental toughness to do it.

Everybody needs to remember that Ron Hainsey has never lost a Stanley Cup Playoff series

Reactions: PromisedLand

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
They'll try to hem us in our own zone and exploit our lack of physicality by winning puck battles along the boards. If we want to win this thing, our defencemen are going to have to react quickly and give our forwards a chance to hit them with our speed on the counter.

Umm.....Polak?:help:

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I’m ready to see this group exorcise the demons. The old roster back in 2013 wouldn’t have been able to do it this year. But Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Andersen, Dermott, and Babcock? Those guys have all the mental toughness to do it.

Everybody needs to remember that Ron Hainsey has never lost a Stanley Cup Playoff series
I agree. Forget everything else, just think about this, as much as i like the guy....Reimer out.....Freddy in. That's a massive upgrade. Now add Matthews/Nylander/Marner....Dermott/Hainsey/Zaitsev....and most of all, Babcock.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Yup. Then again, he's really our only physical presence back there, and to be fair to him, he looked much better down the stretch.
I agree, he was actually good late last season as well. Just stay in position, and don't get caught up in the physical shenanigans that Boston is bound to try.

And before anyone else can do it....

Reactions: Liminality

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Honestly if gardiner does his lazy skate back to the puck I'm going to cry

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I really dont think our board game is as weak as people think. There's a reason Babcock has the lines set up the way they are. We don't hit like the Bruins but our players aren't afraid. Matthews will be in a corner with 3 guys on him, Hyman will gladly fall to go for a puck.

Komarov, Kadri - 2 guys you have to actually be afraid to going into the boards against because they'll hit you back. Kapanen is too fast, Marleau

Marner and Gardiner are the 2 guys im worried about. Gardiner goes into giveaway mode when he gets pressured physically, while Marner is just visibly weak when someone wants to take the body on him, but he has good linemates to balance it.

Other fans don't want to give our middle/bottom 6 credit for what they do. Our weakest line Bozak's, one that is our best on the PP. If we can somehow shelter that line as best as possible at even strength

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
people have no clue what they're talking about when it comes to the constitution of the Leafs. There's a reason we lead the league in deflection goals, and it's not because the Leafs are soft. They get to the net. They go into the corners. Guys like Kadri can lay big hits. The Leafs know what the playoffs are like, we faced a bigger and tougher team last year and held up fine

Reactions: ThewThew

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Agreed with the point of Zaitsev needs to be better. We need him to be at his best or else our defensive depth gets that much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad