GDT: ECQF 6 | FLYERS (A) vs. Canadiens (H) | Friday, Aug. 21, 2020 | 7:00 pm ET | Flyers lead series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Eye test and statically Thompson has been the WORST FLyer this series. He is 99% a detriment, the fact you cant see that is concerning.

It's not that I don't see that, have I defended his play?

I just don't believe in miracle cures, I don't shoot up bleach.

"Get that bum out of there, play anyone else."

"God, anyone else sucks, why did you play him?"

We were 12-5-1 going into the TDL, we were 7-1 after we added Thompson and Grant.
We played Hagg/Braun as the third pair that entire stretch.

A better question is what happened to Niskanen, why is TK playing like rookie TK, when will our top six score an ES goal?

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Do I need to break out my Briere 'Not Habbin' it avatar? I think it may bring some luck.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania

We were 12-5-1 going into the TDL, we were 7-1 after we added Thompson and Grant.

A better question is what happened to Niskanen, why is TK playing like rookie TK, when will our top six score an ES goal?

So if you see that Thompson is the worst player on the team and is playing horribly, why wouldn't you be on board with at least giving someone else a shot while he sits for a game or two?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Nisky has been awful, but it given rope.
TK is awful, but has earned some rope.

Thompson and Grant are horrific, and we have SIMPLE non Frost alternatives, its the easiest decision to be made.

LAughton to 3C and JVR in, and just one of them out, we are better, simple

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So if you see that Thompson is the worst player on the team and is playing horribly, why wouldn't you be on board with at least giving someone else a shot while he sits for a game or two?

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I'm on board, I just don't agree with those who think it'll make a significant difference.
Hail Mary passes sometimes work, but it's a bad strategy except at the end of the game.

I've seen Frost this season and was disappointed, he was meh, not just at the NHL level, but watching him in the AHL he didn't look like an elite prospect. So I don't expect him to come in and solve our 3rd line problems. A work in progress, I have more hope that he'll continue to develop and can contribute next spring when play resumes (I'm betting against December).

Ghost was crap in his two previous playoffs with good legs, while he looks healthier than the last two seasons, he didn't look like 2017-18 Ghost to me either. So replacing Niskanen or Hagg with Ghost is unlikely to make much of a difference.

Put JVR back in once you figure out where to put him.

My point all along isn't that making these changes are wrong, but that they're not going to have a significant impact on the probability of winning. Sure, miracles happen, but you don't bet your house payment on the lottery.

This was always my point with VdV, etc.
If the alternative isn't much better than the player in question, who cares?

One thing I do adamantly disagree with is moving Giroux away from Couts.
I don't think Giroux is a NHL center anymore and you're reducing his value to the team by moving him.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm on board, I just don't agree with those who think it'll make a significant difference.
Hail Mary passes sometimes work, but it's a bad strategy except at the end of the game.

I've seen Frost this season and was disappointed, he was meh, not just at the NHL level, but watching him in the AHL he didn't look like an elite prospect. So I don't expect him to come in and solve our 3rd line problems. A work in progress, I have more hope that he'll continue to develop and can contribute next spring when play resumes (I'm betting against December).

Ghost was crap in his two previous playoffs with good legs, while he looks healthier than the last two seasons, he didn't look like 2017-18 Ghost to me either. So replacing Niskanen or Hagg with Ghost is unlikely to make much of a difference.

My point all along isn't that making these changes are wrong, but that they're not going to have a significant impact on the probability of winning. Sure, miracles happen, but you don't bet your house payment on the lottery.

I don't think Giroux is a NHL center anymore and you're reducing his value to the team by moving him.
Why would taking Thompson out of the lineup be a Hail Mary?

A Hail Mary would be starting Ustimenko because the Flyers don't think they can win with Hart or Elliott.

And you've been disappointed in Frost, but not Thompson? Literally anyone in the bubble could dress for Thompson tomorrow and likely be a statistical improvement for a single game, even Andy Andre Andrew Andreoff.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why would taking Thompson out of the lineup be a Hail Mary?

A Hail Mary would be starting Ustimenko because the Flyers don't think they can win with Hart or Elliott.

And you've been disappointed in Frost, but not Thompson? Literally anyone in the bubble could dress for Thompson tomorrow and likely be a statistical improvement for a single game, even Andy Andre Andrew Andreoff.

Last time I checked, wins don't go to the team with the best metrics.
Put Frost or Andreoff in there, I doubt it has a significant impact on the probability of winning.

I just don't get bent out of shape over minor decisions.
HCs make dozens of these decisions over the course of a season, some work, some don't, most are meh.

Moving Giroux to me is far more important and reeks of desperation, trying to jump start a 3rd line.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Put Frost or Andreoff in there, I doubt it has a significant impact on the probability of winning.

HCs make dozens of these decisions over the course of a season, some work, some don't, most are meh.

Moving Giroux to me is far more important and reeks of desperation, trying to jump start a 3rd line.

LOL, why not Laughton ?

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Thompson is getting absolutely caved in 5 on 5. That has an impact on winning a single game.

Reducing or removing his ice time is not a minor decision.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania

The biggest issue is you don’t know if those changes will have a significant impact because AV (who you constantly defend) has never tried using them for a significant amount time. If they didn’t give up on Frost after 20 games maybe he would be in a position to make an impact. Maybe he is ready to make a significant impact now but hasn’t been given the chance?

Which lineup would rather have for a whole series? Assuming NAK is injured.

JVR-Couts-Tk
G-Frost-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-Raffl
Bunnaman-Laughton-Pitlick

Provorov-Niskanen
Sanheim-Myers
Ghost-Braun

Or

Raffl-Couts-Voracek
Farabee-Hayes-TK
G-Grant-Laughton
Bunnaman-Thompson-Pitlick