GDT: ECQF 6 | FLYERS (A) vs. Canadiens (H) | Friday, Aug. 21, 2020 | 7:00 pm ET | Flyers lead series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I cant believe we even have to have these conversations. Let's recap from 9 months ago:

If only things like playing 8 minutes a game mattered.
If only having (and playing) good depth could help you win
If only constructing your roster appropriately during the regular season to be prepared for the playoffs mattered.
If only spending cap on useful vets instead of EIHL slugs mattered

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If only you could keep players from getting injured.
If only you could accelerate player development so that Frost, Bunnaman, Ratcliffe, Rubtsov, Kase, Sushko were bottom six starters.
If only you could inject veterans with youth serum and some players with brain enhancers.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Obviously, but every team is facing this. This problem is also solved if we just actually play our young kids instead of thinking theyre 'too fragile' for the NHL

If only you could accelerate player development so that Frost, Bunnaman, Ratcliffe, Rubtsov, Kase, Sushko were bottom six starters.
You could have, if you played them regularly during the season, and let them learn on the job, instead of deeming them 'not good enough' for a flyers team that was, until the end of the season, a bubble team.

If only you could inject veterans with youth serum and some players with brain enhancers.
You dont need a magic serum for older useless players when you have good young ones to replace them

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Right, they score and tie it. Then what happens?

Thompson line gives one up next shift, because why not put the "hard nosed grinder" out there afterwards? Then we're throwing things at the TV again because immediately he f***s up and it's 4-3

I can see it now. Crystal ball

Thompson line gives one up next shift, because why not put the "hard nosed grinder" out there afterwards? Then we're throwing things at the TV again because immediately he f***s up and it's 4-3

"He'll hardly play. It won't even make a difference!" They exclaim

Therefore, Thompson should see 11 mins of 5v5 action

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

What young kids? Frost and ???

We're starting Farabee (missed one game to clear his head), Bunnaman, Sanheim, Myers, Hart, NAK (injured), Lindblom (injured), Patrick (injured).

The rest of our "kids" aren't ready, Kase, Sushko, Rubtsov, Twarysnki, Ratcliffe, Friedman, while Allison, Laczynski, York, Brink, Hogberg et al aren't available.

Maybe you didn't notice, but we do have an AHL franchise, and the kids play on a regular basis.
And AV held open auditions last season for most of the AHL roster.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Therefore, Thompson should see 11 mins of 5v5 action

Hagg is your #7 at best, he wont play, it wont matter!

Grant and Thompson are just injury callups, and vet experience for the locker room!

I cant decide if some of us just have crystal balls and can see into the future, or if others are really just that blind to how coaches somtimes just cant help themselves.

I cant do it today, this still feels too fresh. Y'all have a good one.

tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This reminds me of the Hakstol years, why is he playing VdV? He should be playing . . .
So what alternatives are still in the league? Leier, Luby, etc. are long gone.

Timing is everything, between injuries and the player development gap (lots of prospects 1-3 years away) we've got holes in the lineup. It happens.

Niskanen, Braun, Grant, Thompson, Pitlick were brought in to buy time while the prospects develop.
Unfortunately, some of them have run out of time.

If we had traded a 1st and 2nd for Pageau, we'd be in much better shape, who wanted to do that?

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Worst case scenario:

Morgan Frost plays yesterday and is directly responsible for two goals against and that causes AV to have to shorten the bench.

Instead we got the bum veteran that was directly responsible for two goals against but since he’s a veteran there’s no shortening the bench due to his mistakes.

I’ll ask it again, is it good coaching to play worse players while better players are available?

Or if you want to say that Frost isn’t a better player than Thompson...

Would you rather have a player that you 100% know is shit or a player that might be shit or he also might not be shit?

THERE IS NO DEFENDING THIS. STOP TRYING TO BE THE SMARTEST GUY IN THE ROOM.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If JVR isn't hurt, I kind of do expect him back, but at the expense of Grant.

Splitting G and Couts is fine, if you give G someone capable of playing alongside him.

AV is clearly married to Thompson, but Grant...

If Alain were married to Grant, he would be the French Bride of Frankenstein. And then you would say "That's going overboard."

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
This reminds me of the Hakstol years, why is he playing VdV? He should be playing . . .

Timing is everything, between injuries and the player development gap (lots of prospects 1-3 years away) we've got holes in the lineup. It happens.

Niskanen, Braun, Grant, Thompson, Pitlick were brought in to buy time while the prospects develop.
Unfortunately, some of them have run out of time.

If we had traded a 1st and 2nd for Pageau, we'd be in much better shape, who wanted to do that?

Tomorrow night...(sunday if needed)

G-Coots-Jake
Farabee-Hayes-TK
JVR-Frost-Pitlick/NAK (if avail)
Laughton/Raffl-Bunny-Pitlick/Raffl (Depending on NAK)

Nisky is done for this series...
Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Braun-Friedman

But if they can't win one of two it will still be the coaches fault....

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

Yep. This is definitely the French Hakstok Era :laugh: F***ing hell, I'm excited now.

HIVE - ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

How could we possibly still be doing this?

They had no idea at the time if Taylor Leier or Danick Martel or Roman Lyubimov could work themselves into something. That's the whole point. It's not, "Of course I know better than these people," it's just better than throwing up a white flag. This is the exact same smug horseshit AV threw out there in his introductory PC that got my hackles up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tomorrow night...(sunday if needed)

G-Coots-Jake
Farabee-Hayes-TK
JVR-Frost-Pitlick/NAK (if avail)
Laughton/Raffl-Bunny-Pitlick/Raffl (Depending on NAK)

Nisky is done for this series...
Provy-Ghost
Sanheim-Myers
Braun-Friedman

But if they can't win one of two it will still be the coaches fault....

Yeah, that inspires confidence.
You think that 3rd line is gonna matchup against the Habs?
And that 4th line is a hot mess.
And those defensive pairs, good luck.

We get past Montreal if Hart gives us one good game, if not, no chance.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah, that inspires confidence.
You think that 3rd line is gonna matchup against the Habs?
And that 4th line is a hot mess.
And those defensive pairs, good luck.

We get past Montreal if Hart gives us one good game, if not, no chance.

Not going to be more of a hot mess than the 4th line has been all series.

Unless getting out-chanced 4:1 while on ice... which is pretty hard to do. But Thompson has managed...

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
A lot of people predicted they would win in six. You have to lose 2 to get to six. If they rebound like they did from their last stinker, it's over tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad