ECHL to 30 Teams?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
All divver said was he has heard of interest In starting a expansion team in Manchester. He didn’t say a team will begin play in 2021 with a bruins affiliation like you think he did.
nope I'm not the one posting wild rumors.... YOU DID, Centrum why do you think 2 posters called you out on it, when there's been no credible discussion on it

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
He didn't post a wild rumor. He posted a tweet from a highly respected hockey writer.
and then was called out by multiple posters, Darryl..... same thing a respected journalist wouldn't be doing until there was CONCRETE evidence or chatter..... I'd tend to believe you if you were the one posting it....

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
and then was called out by multiple posters, Darryl..... same thing a respected journalist wouldn't be doing until there was CONCRETE evidence or chatter..... I'd tend to believe you if you were the one posting it....

One person asked if Divver was credible. Pretty much nothing you've asserted in this thread since Centrum posted the tweet has been accurate.

Please remember, all the posts are still visible, so you can easily go back and review what's been posted.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Mark Divver is one of the most respected writers in New England as well as hockey. I was a sports writer for more than 10 years and I can tell you he was extremely respected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadhog and 210

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yep. What Divver tweeted was clear and concise.
Totally off topic.

Listened to the first 15 minutes of your episode 2. Good stuff!

I had never heard of candlepin bowling (midwesterner). Went to you tube and saw a video of it. Would love to try it.

I had forgotten about or never knew that Ken Dryden was a Bruin. Yes, that was a miserable trade. LOL.

Good luck to you on your podcast! Here's a link for others to listen:

Nothing But Shenanigans Podcast

Reactions: 210

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Totally off topic.

Listened to the first 15 minutes of your episode 2. Good stuff!

I had never heard of candlepin bowling (midwesterner). Went to you tube and saw a video of it. Would love to try it.

I had forgotten about or never knew that Ken Dryden was a Bruin. Yes, that was a miserable trade. LOL.

Good luck to you on your podcast! Here's a link for others to listen:

Nothing But Shenanigans Podcast

Wow, thanks for listening...it's really just me and my buddy Paul doing what we'd usually be doing if we were able to sit on barstools and have a few beers. Using Zoom right now, but might step it up in the future.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Which is too bad, because they had a really good team there.

While I do feel bad the market and fans had the blunt end of the stick given to them from Los Angeles, team interest also dropped off because they felt they deserved better than the ECHL. The ECHL Monarchs were one of the better teams in the league and were annually primed for a playoff run.

Let's see if these faint rumblings of interest bring about an ownership group that can rehash some of the interest in the Granite State and have anywhere near the same amount of on-ice success. If nothing comes of these faint rumblings, they aren't the first and won't be the last market that used to host hockey.

Reactions: Roadhog

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
While I do feel bad the market and fans had the blunt end of the stick given to them from Los Angeles, team interest also dropped off because they felt they deserved better than the ECHL. The ECHL Monarchs were one of the better teams in the league and were annually primed for a playoff run.

Let's see if these faint rumblings of interest bring about an ownership group that can rehash some of the interest in the Granite State and have anywhere near the same amount of on-ice success. If nothing comes of these faint rumblings, they aren't the first and won't be the last market that used to host hockey.

Some fans thought that of the ECHL, but that was far from the biggest problem they faced up there. A local owner and a team not named "Monarchs" will be a huge step in the right direction.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Some fans thought that of the ECHL, but that was far from the biggest problem they faced up there. A local owner and a team not named "Monarchs" will be a huge step in the right direction.

If a new team does come to Manchester, it would be very wise of ownership of that team to consult the management of the Cincinnati Cyclones. The once thriving Cyclones franchise went into suspension for two years and came back with a thud. But the team ownership had a committed business plan and they stuck to it and made one huge adjustment which allowed the team to survive. When the AHL Ducks and IHL/ECHL Cyclones went head-to-head for 7 years, tickets had been comped to such a level that people weren't willing to pay very much for the product anymore. The Cyclones recognized that in year 2 of their comeback and made the appropriate pricing adjustments.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
If a new team does come to Manchester, it would be very wise of ownership of that team to consult the management of the Cincinnati Cyclones. The once thriving Cyclones franchise went into suspension for two years and came back with a thud. But the team ownership had a committed business plan and they stuck to it and made one huge adjustment which allowed the team to survive. When the AHL Ducks and IHL/ECHL Cyclones went head-to-head for 7 years, tickets had been comped to such a level that people weren't willing to pay very much for the product anymore. The Cyclones recognized that in year 2 of their comeback and made the appropriate pricing adjustments.
The biggest problem from the late monarchs era seemed to be the lack of respect for the fanbase from owners/management. Hopefully any new team there will have heavy community involvement.

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
Im pretty sure maine announced their team in summer of 2017 im guessing @wildcat48 can confirm that
Newfoundland i am fairy sure announced theirs in spring or summer as well
So I'm assuming that if Manchester wants something for 2021-22 this summer will determine if that "interest" materializes the same can be said for trois riveries as well.
If i am off on this which I admit I could be let me know.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Im pretty sure maine announced their team in summer of 2017 im guess @wildcat48 can confirm that
So I'm assuming that if Manchester wants something for 2021-22 this summer will determine if that "interest" materializes
Maine is not an expansion team by definition, Spectra acquired via a transfer of territory, the Alaska franchise.... it was 2018, not 2017, the team was established...... Newfoundland and Worcester are true expansion processes that took 2 years in both cases from initial discussion to actual awarding of the franchise (expansion fee and all)

Manchester has shown no interest in returning.... because that hope was there once PPI technically destroyed what that franchise had been.... AEG and the Kings were committed as an affiliate only..... same thing you're seeing both Portland and Worcester had to adjust to after being corporate-controlled, for lack of a better analogy.....in Worcester's case notably San Jose made those calls.... the last decade+ BEFORE leaving for San Jose.... now the Railers are privately owned, something that has been a struggle in Portland financially, as we've been privately owned up to 2018...

remember the whole issue over the Q coming to Manchester, which then suggested Portland or a few others as an option/opinion piece.... it was done... wasn't an option, hurricanesfan.... because it had been done for 8 years in Lewiston... same ownership albeit minority ownership in operations that Chicago has... notably Wendell Young was involved in that ownership here locally....

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
all i was asking is if something was to happen for manchester 2021-22 a decision/commitment would have to be made this summer......... And what do you mean manchester has shown no interest in returning have you not been reading this thread. All i want is for someone to answer my simple question.:help:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Im pretty sure maine announced their team in summer of 2017 im guessing @wildcat48 can confirm that
So I'm assuming that if Manchester wants something for 2021-22 this summer will determine if that "interest" materializes the same can be said for trois riveries as well.
If i am off on this which I admit I could be let me know.

Trois-Rivières just needs permission from the city/arena and they have a team. They have been in constant contact with the ECHL, they have branding, marketing, everything done, they just need city permission and a lease before they are off the ground with a franchise. Manchester has the potential for faint rumblings in the ground. That is not a professed and publicized ownership group with valid interest, marketing plans, publicized contact with the league. Manchester and Trois-Rivières are at two entirely different points in being permitted a franchise.

The expansion process needs to be finished by December, that's the deadline. An ownership group usually has their act together and starts negotiating a potential lease deal, marketing, branding, all that staff in the summer. They can get it done quickly in the fall, but it is difficult.

Reactions: hurricanesfan123

hurricanesfan123

May 1, 2019
North America
Trois-Rivières just needs permission from the city/arena and they have a team. They have been in constant contact with the ECHL, they have branding, marketing, everything done, they just need city permission and a lease before they are off the ground with a franchise. Manchester has the potential for faint rumblings in the ground. That is not a professed and publicized ownership group with valid interest, marketing plans, publicized contact with the league. Manchester and Trois-Rivières are at two entirely different points in being permitted a franchise.

The expansion process needs to be finished by December, that's the deadline. An ownership group usually has their act together and starts negotiating a potential lease deal, marketing, branding, all that staff in the summer. They can get it done quickly in the fall, but it is difficult.
ah thank you. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. But to see such a difference with both markets that are trying to launch in the same year. Yikes! Seems like a stretch for Manchester but hopefully they can work something out. Not a lot of time when someone isn't even on board yet.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
all i was asking is if something was to happen for manchester 2021-22 a decision/commitment would have to be made this summer......... And what do you mean manchester has shown no interest in returning have you not been reading this thread. All i want is for someone to answer my simple question.:help:
that question has been asked ever since 2019, when the league found no takers and elected to terminate the original Manchester franchise..... where's the owner, hurricanesfan.... like what Spectra, Cliff Rucker and Dean MacDonald accomplished to restart or are in active discussions now.... Portland, Worcester, Newfoundland, and Trois-Rivieres the league isn't actively pursuing anything in the midst of the pandemic..... that's the 1st thing.... 2nd thing.... how much damage did the original franchise do between switching leagues, and is there a fanbase large enough to not repeat what occurred financially to restart and/or sustain a franchise knowing you're spending at minimum at least 600 M to start engaging the league to their timeframe of December, even for 2021/22, that's not realistic or likely to prevent the same thing from repeating itself..... it's like any market or fanbase that loses a team, why was the decision made to pull the franchise, whether it was bad or at times inept ownership, violation of league bylaws or leveraging a franchise for illicit gains (Iowa Chops-AHL comes to mind in that case), etc..... it's not that Manchester is a "torched market", BUT sometimes it happens..... no matter if there's a fanbase that keeps getting their hopes up and dashed over and over.....

Lowell ended up that way as an example.....U MASS Lowell wanted their team to be exclusive, the pro team was sacrificed, AND No league has ever reentered that market.

that's the downside of being a fan of a given team in a given sport..... the business side of it.... eventually,wins out...no matter how it is spun..... when you go through multiples of these "business" DEALINGS it turns you off from what you grew to enjoy or watch that team or fanbase succeed..... half of the Monarchs fanbase blamed AEG/LA Kings, THEN PPI destroyed what remained to rescue the market because they had no clue how to run or market a pro franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad