ECHL to 30 Teams?

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
Is the nhl really looking to go 3 and 3 meaning NHL AHL ECHL Affiliate.
the rumored team in QC and the rumor vegas purchase only make's the ring cloudy.
looking at the east it''s a bit confusing to place a eastern team unless the saber's switch nxt year.
Note the team's benefiting or atop the conference are really benefiting from the player's sent down.
Nolfork's independent moved really didnt work well.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Is the nhl really looking to go 3 and 3 meaning NHL AHL ECHL Affiliate.
the rumored team in QC and the rumor vegas purchase only make's the ring cloudy.
looking at the east it''s a bit confusing to place a eastern team unless the sabre's switch nxt year.
Note the team's benefiting or atop the conference are really benefiting from the player's sent down.
Nolfork's independent moved really didnt work well.

Not really sure what you're asking here due to some of the bad grammar. I'll take my best shot at it trying to give you some feedback.

Yes, the NHL really is looking to eventually get to a 1-1-1 affiliation with the ECHL. Toronto was the first organization to take a true 3-tier approach to prospect development. Several others are heavily linked to following up soon.

The rumored ECHL Québec team was supposed to be in Trois-Rivières, but the political situation in the city forced it to at least be delayed for the upcoming season, but still possible for 2021-22. Vegas purchased an AHL team, so I'm not sure what that has to do with ECHL rumored relocation. They haven't been linked to extending their development to the ECHL level. Their current affiliate is the model ECHL independent franchise Fort Wayne Komets, and only 2 players from within the Golden Knights organization play for the team.

The ECHL isn't expanding for this upcoming year, so looking anywhere would be confusing considering they have no expansion targets, other than Trois-Rivières. So, yes, placing any team, let alone Eastern team, will be extremely confusing.

Yes, both the ECHL and NHL teams benefit from really using their ECHL affiliates. Newfoundland is one of the top teams in the league, and the Leafs are developing more prospects than normal.

Reactions: Growlers

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
Not really sure what you're asking here due to some of the bad grammar. I'll take my best shot at it trying to give you some feedback.

Yes, the NHL really is looking to eventually get to a 1-1-1 affiliation with the ECHL. Toronto was the first organization to take a true 3-tier approach to prospect development. Several others are heavily linked to following up soon.

The rumored ECHL Québec team was supposed to be in Trois-Rivières, but the political situation in the city forced it to at least be delayed for the upcoming season, but still possible for 2021-22. Vegas purchased an AHL team, so I'm not sure what that has to do with ECHL rumored relocation. They haven't been linked to extending their development to the ECHL level. Their current affiliate is the model ECHL independent franchise Fort Wayne Komets, and only 2 players from within the Golden Knights organization play for the team.

The ECHL isn't expanding for this upcoming year, so looking anywhere would be confusing considering they have no expansion targets, other than Trois-Rivières. Sochem yes, placing any team, let alone Eastern team, will be extremely confusing.

Yes, both the ECHL and NHL teams benefit from really using their ECHL affiliates. Newfoundland is one of the top teams in the league, and the Leafs are developing more prospects than normal.

That's basically every answer i was looking for.
I cringe everytime i hear the word independent .
The fan base in adirondack is calling out the devil's for messing up.
the devil's just keep shuffling the decks game in and game out.
which has lead to instability in building team chemistry.
the thing that toronto has done better in implying the development is leaving there player's down for more than 3 game's at a time.
adirondack keep's finding good goalie's but realistically get's hemed by the above situation.
Hope this was better grammar wise.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
That's basically every answer i was looking for.
I cringe everytime i hear the word independent .
The fan base in adirondack is calling out the devil's for messing up.
the devil's just keep shuffling the decks game in and game out.
which has lead to instability in building team chemistry.
the thing that toronto has done better in implying the development is leaving there player's down for more than 3 game's at a time.
adirondack keep's finding good goalie's but realistically get's hemed by the above situation.
Hope this was better grammar wise.

All good on the grammar, English isn't my first language so I do should not be talking of grammar.

Independent teams have their rights. They bought the teams, they can't really be forced to sell it. The operations of Ft. Wayne Komets and Chicago Wolves are proof of that enough.

I heard somewhere that vegas might be looking int0 echl aswell.

They were looking at putting an ECHL team in Reno, NV several years ago. The political situation in Reno makes it impossible. There has been no news about it for about two years and the few things that do come out are saying that hockey in Reno is a non-starter. Here are several news articles discussing it. I believe the figure being tossed around was $10 million just to get the Reno-Sparks Convention Center ready for minor league hockey. That is too steep of a price for AA hockey.

Discussions stall, but Reno still hopeful for ECHL hockey team
Is Reno still a future landing spot for professional hockey?
Pro hockey coming to Reno? Don't expect it anytime soon
Professional Reno Hockey Team Looks Unlikely - Arena Digest

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
I can say there are muddled unfocused rumors about Northwest expansion... could be the E, could be someone like NAHL, could be an SPHL league. That indicates a muddled unfocused effort looking for a whale investor to set this thing in any given direction.

And that's my muddled unfocused effort for the day. It's an HFBoards tradition, after all.

Reactions: Barclay Donaldson

Martin Veillette

Feb 19, 2019
In the recent years, I have heard about

1) Trois-Rivieres, Qc
2) Long Island, NY
3) Richmond, VA
4) Billings, MT
5) Reno, NV

You can add others like Peoria, Manchester, Houston, Oklahoma City and now San Antonio to that list

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
In the recent years, I have heard about

1) Trois-Rivieres, Qc
2) Long Island, NY
3) Richmond, VA
4) Billings, MT
5) Reno, NV

You can add others like Peoria, Manchester, Houston, Oklahoma City and now San Antonio to that list

But it sort of matters if they are realistic or not.
  1. Trois-Rivières is obviously realistic. They were sort of close to getting a deal done, but it is delayed at least for the upcoming season. The mayor is not big on the league and is being a hard negotiator. The city will host just UQTR Patriotes, and then renegotiate with Dean McDonald sometime before the ECHL application window shuts.
  2. Long Island was never going to happen. The man wanted to build an arena on land he didn't own and was in the process being sold to someone else. Once the transaction was completed, I think it was to a mall, the guy shut his mouth. It was talk that lasted for a few hours.
  3. Richmond is somewhat realistic in that there is and has been active talk since the Navy Hill project was put forward and the words that came with it. But, it still needs to pass through a city council that voted against it once already, mostly because the projected cost is $1 billion.
  4. Billings, like Long Island, was never going to happen. It's on an island for travel, would need to be near capacity with paying butts in seats each night just to break even. And that wasn't including the millions of dollars that would be needed just to be able to make ice, let alone be able to host minor pro hockey.
  5. For Reno, you can copy and paste Billings except add a permanent political presence against making costs.
For the others, Peoria joined the SPHL because of the lower budget requirements. The last time I ever heard about them and the ECHL was when they were actually in the ECHL. Peoria isn't happening. Manchester hasn't had any bites since they folded, there haven't even been attempts to negotiate a lease at the SNHU Arena. Manchester isn't happening. Houston has never been associated with the ECHL by any source on the internet, let alone a reliable source. Houston isn't happening. Oklahoma City has never been associated by any reliable source on the internet, and not with the ECHL since some bloggers were desperately looking for a replacement for the OKC Barons. I think I mentioned this to you on another thread, a group couldn't even find enough dates between the two arenas. OKC isn't happening. San Antonio is way too soon to tell.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
But it sort of matters if they are realistic or not.
  1. Trois-Rivières is obviously realistic. They were sort of close to getting a deal done, but it is delayed at least for the upcoming season. The mayor is not big on the league and is being a hard negotiator. The city will host just UQTR Patriotes, and then renegotiate with Dean McDonald sometime before the ECHL application window shuts.
  2. Long Island was never going to happen. The man wanted to build an arena on land he didn't own and was in the process being sold to someone else. Once the transaction was completed, I think it was to a mall, the guy shut his mouth. It was talk that lasted for a few hours.
  3. Richmond is somewhat realistic in that there is and has been active talk since the Navy Hill project was put forward and the words that came with it. But, it still needs to pass through a city council that voted against it once already, mostly because the projected cost is $1 billion.
  4. Billings, like Long Island, was never going to happen. It's on an island for travel, would need to be near capacity with paying butts in seats each night just to break even. And that wasn't including the millions of dollars that would be needed just to be able to make ice, let alone be able to host minor pro hockey.
  5. For Reno, you can copy and paste Billings except add a permanent political presence against making costs.
For the others, Peoria joined the SPHL because of the lower budget requirements. The last time I ever heard about them and the ECHL was when they were actually in the ECHL. Peoria isn't happening. Manchester hasn't had any bites since they folded, there haven't even been attempts to negotiate a lease at the SNHU Arena. Manchester isn't happening. Houston has never been associated with the ECHL by any source on the internet, let alone a reliable source. Houston isn't happening. Oklahoma City has never been associated by any reliable source on the internet, and not with the ECHL since some bloggers were desperately looking for a replacement for the OKC Barons. I think I mentioned this to you on another thread, a group couldn't even find enough dates between the two arenas. OKC isn't happening. San Antonio is way too soon to tell.
update on Richmond:

it appears a replacement for the Coliseum is DEAD, City Council rejected the proposal by a 5 to 4 vote according to insider sources at Arena Digest; Monday night the proposal failed and developers have ended all discussions which would have created a 17, 5K seating arena as part of the Navy Hill proposal described in the above post

Last edited:

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
This is not true.

Are you just going to say it's not true, or are you going to back it up? The Q looked at the arena but didn't do it because of travel and scheduling issues. They never even found an interested ownership group, let alone looking at a lease. La LHJMQ veut un club en Montérégie - La Presse+.

The last news that came out from any reliable source was in May of last year. There has been nothing since. Please provide something supporting your assertion.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
But he got the rest of it right? That'd be a helluva lot better'n many of us can aspire to. :help:

It would have been nice if he backed up what he was saying rather than just say "no no, that's not right." Reminds me of a different friend we have on here with much worse typing and grammar skills.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Are you just going to say it's not true, or are you going to back it up? The Q looked at the arena but didn't do it because of travel and scheduling issues. They never even found an interested ownership group, let alone looking at a lease. La LHJMQ veut un club en Montérégie - La Presse+.

The last news that came out from any reliable source was in May of last year. There has been nothing since. Please provide something supporting your assertion.
If someone does want to start a echl expansion team in Manchester a slow well thought out approach is probably the best way to go. @wildcat48 did say in the monarchs ceasing operation’s thread that there where a few bidders for the monarchs that got rejected by Brian Cheek.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

I know it's untrue because I've spoken with the potential owner of a Manchester ECHL franchise on more than a handful of occasions, including just a couple days after the ECHL's all-star break.

And on top of that, he wasn't the only person that started the ECHL's ownership process with an intent to put a team in Manchester, he's just the only one that made it through the league's vetting process and is actively pursuing it.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
If someone does want to start a echl expansion team in Manchester a slow well thought out approach is probably the best way to go. @wildcat48 did say in the monarchs ceasing operation’s thread that there where a few bidders for the monarchs that got rejected by Brian Cheek.

No one asked wanted anything to do with the Monarchs...that organization owed so much money and had such a poor reputation with the fans there that it had to fold. There was no saving that organization.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
I know it's untrue because I've spoken with the potential owner of a Manchester ECHL franchise on more than a handful of occasions, including just a couple days after the ECHL's all-star break.

And on top of that, he wasn't the only person that started the ECHL's ownership process with an intent to put a team in Manchester, he's just the only one that made it through the league's vetting process and is actively pursuing it.

Considering there hasn't been a single reliable news source that has reported this, it should be taken with a gain of salt. Just like every other "I've personally spoken" with that has ever been on HFBoards.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Considering there hasn't been a single reliable news source that has reported this, it should be taken with a gain of salt. Just like every other "I've personally spoken" with that has ever been on HFBoards.

While it's only been part-time as I have a full-time paying job, I have been writing about hockey for 24 years and I have been credentialed to cover hockey in Worcester for many of those years. My work has been seen on dozens of sites (including, years ago, this one). I'm not someone that reads newspapers and blogs and makes conclusions solely based on what others report, I actually speak to people connected to those situations so I have a greater understanding of what's really going on.

When it comes to AHL and ECHL hockey, I'll put my track record of being right against anyone on this forum.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
While it's only been part-time as I have a full-time paying job, I have been writing about hockey for 24 years and I have been credentialed to cover hockey in Worcester for many of those years. My work has been seen on dozens of sites (including, years ago, this one). I'm not someone that reads newspapers and blogs and makes conclusions solely based on what others report, I actually speak to people connected to those situations so I have a greater understanding of what's really going on.

When it comes to AHL and ECHL hockey, I'll put my track record of being right against anyone on this forum.

You must be extremely credentialed to have information that hasn't be found anywhere else from the dozens of entities that have a stake in reporting news on hockey in Manchester.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
You must be extremely credentialed to have information that hasn't be found anywhere else from the dozens of entities that have a stake in reporting news on hockey in Manchester.

I'm hardly the only person who knows the current hockey situation in Manchester. And other than the Union Leader, what other entities would there be that have a stake in covering hockey in Manchester?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
The local coverage on the financial troubles of the echl monarchs was almost non existent from the time LA sold the team to the time PPI sports group announced they where selling.The union leader did maybe 3 articles on them that where related to the business of the team. It would not be surprising if they had no idea if there was any talk's with ownership groups.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->