ECHL to 30 Teams?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
What do you guys think about this expansion possibly in a few years? Future ECHL Expansion? - Game Changer Sports Network
Trois-Rivieres, QC: all but confirmed to be joining the league. The ECHL hasn't officially announced, but everyone else has. They aren't much of an expansion target anymore. They are more or less guaranteed to join the league.

Manchester, NH: will likely be tried at some point. Too many reliable sources have hinted at interest in the past and it is too much of a hockey market to not get some ownership group able to get a team. They will likely join the league within the next 5 years.

Elmira, NY: likely are very content in the FPHL. The ECHL Jackals were bleeding money for the second half of their existence, and it wasn't the arena's fault. The arena was a key issue, but they weren't going to last much longer regardless. Elmira thinks a lot like Columbus & Winston-Salem: it is smarter to make money in a lower-level league than fight to break even in a higher league. The chances of them joining the ECHL is very low.

Savannah, GA: pretty much guaranteed a team with the new arena. For both the size of the market and arena, it is likely ECHL. They will likely join the league within the next 5 years.

Iowa City/Coralville, IA: built an arena with the announced intention of it hosting an ECHL or USHL team, but haven't had any sort of talks that we've seen with Trois-Rivières despite the arena opening in September. That is a worrying sign. I think might have gone a bridge too far and might be out of their element simply by the number of full-time tenants they already have. And if they didn't have their act together before, COVID certainly isn't going to help it.

Reno, NV: Hockey at the Reno-Sparks Convention center is a non-starter.
Pro hockey coming to Reno? Don't expect it anytime soon
Fact check: Is Reno the biggest U.S. city without professional hockey?
Professional Reno Hockey Team Looks Unlikely - Arena Digest
ECHL hockey is not going to Reno.

Fort Worth, TX: Hockey at Dickies Arena is a non-starter. The Fort Worth Rodeo takes up the entire month of January. That is enough to kill it off. Add in the market is saturated with hockey as it is with NHL Dallas, ECHL Allen, and NAHL Lone Star all well under an hour away. Dickies Arena is not very well setup for hockey. Just because they can put an ice plant down doesn't mean it's a hockey arena. There has also been no interested ownership group. They tried garnering interest last year but it fell flat on its face. ECHL hockey is not going to Fort Worth.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Last edited:

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Savannah, GA: pretty much guaranteed a team with the new arena. For both the size of the market and arena, it is likely ECHL. They will likely join the league within the next 5 years.
Glad to hear it. Not too long ago I was called crazy on the board for suggesting ECHL hockey in savannah. It would fit great in the footprint of the current SE division with Jax and Charleston. The arena is average size for ECHL hockey and the city has a decent metro area to pull fans from. Looking forward to see what happens.

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Glad to hear it. Not too long ago I was called crazy on the board for suggesting ECHL hockey in savannah. It would fit great in the footprint of the current SE division with Jax and Charleston. The arena is average size for ECHL hockey and the city has a decent metro area to pull fans from. Looking forward to see what happens.

They would be right to call you crazy for suggesting ECHL hockey in Savannah without this arena. And it is still not a guarantee with the arena. They are still a long way away from a team. They still do not have an interested ownership group and market interest is doubtful at best. But they still have a good chance simply because of location, demographics, and the arena.

The arena looks like it is going to be a 9-10,000 seater, that might actually be too big for the team. It certainly isn't nice when certain teams need to curtain off huge sections of the arena like Jacksonville and Orlando.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... The arena looks like it is going to be a 9-10,000 seater, that might actually be too big for the team. It certainly isn't nice when certain teams need to curtain off huge sections of the arena like Jacksonville and Orlando.
"nice" isn't a necessity. Long-time minor pro hockey fans are used to arenas with curtained seating sections. It's not like the NHL, where widespread TV coverage showing whole tiers or multiple sections of the arena bowl covered in cloth would be a potebtial turnoff to fans & sponsors. As long as the lighting is adjusted properly to make those sections darkened, I rarely notice them any more when I visit such arenas ... unless me 'n' Mrs. JMC end up with cheap tickets in one of those sections ... :whaaa?:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Curtaining sections off can also make the rent cheaper because the facility needs fewer security people with fewer/smaller sections being used. Obviously something like that would need to be built into a lease, but the WorSharks and Railers both had/have those stipulations in theirs so odds are it isn't that rare of an occurrence.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
They would be right to call you crazy for suggesting ECHL hockey in Savannah without this arena.
Once the arena was announced I saw it fit the ECHL standard for arena size and quality and I figured it’d be a good fit. With teams like Norfolk and Brampton in trouble, a possible new team in the south with great travel partners is something the league should keep a close eye on. (I only bring up Brampton because Norfolk can move to the north if the beast fold).

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Curtaining sections off can also make the rent cheaper because the facility needs fewer security people with fewer/smaller sections being used. Obviously something like that would need to be built into a lease, but the WorSharks and Railers both had/have those stipulations in theirs so odds are it isn't that rare of an occurrence.
Looking at my photos of current ECHL arenas, I see curtains or similar seating section coverings in Worcester & Orlando & Tulsa & Wichita & Cincinnati (tarps over some upper deck seats) & maybe Greenville (that one's hard to confirm from the lighting in my images).

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Looking at my photos of current ECHL arenas, I see curtains or similar seating section coverings in Worcester & Orlando & Tulsa & Wichita & Cincinnati (tarps over some upper deck seats) & maybe Greenville (that one's hard to confirm from the lighting in my images).
Greenville does have some curtains and Atlanta has started tarping some seats as well

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
With a little more zooming & squinting, and checking the ticket sellers' seating charts, I think I can add Jacksonville to my list above.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
in the United States..... this might be a echl expansion to manchester or perhaps savannah if he really wants to start from scratch
nope, then why would he expand to Trois Rivieres with Montrealwhen there's no guarantee the Leafs would've gone along with it

there is no expansion talk in a pandemic... Manchester or not.... the commonality is SJSE, the same way it has always been in the days of the AHL and even during Newfoundland's inaugural season when SJSE tried to pull the lease on them, remember that....

the Growlers are going nowhere unless MacDonald sells both franchises because how was T-R brought up originally

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad