ECF: (1) Tampa Bay Lightning vs. (1) Washington Capitals | Series tied 3-3

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
This particular Caps team seems able to get up when they have to. They closed out both Columbus and Pittsburgh in 6. If they didn't choke then, there's no reason to think they'll definitely choke now. Who knows what will happen.

Jbwest31

Feb 9, 2017
I said this earlier, but that no call against OV might be the turning point of this series. It certainly woke the monster in Ovie and the team followed his heavy lead. If the Caps come out and play the same physical game, TB might be in trouble.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I said this earlier, but that no call against OV might be the turning point of this series. It certainly woke the monster in Ovie and the team followed his heavy lead. If the Caps come out and play the same physical game, TB might be in trouble.

I think TB is in trouble either way. The Caps have dominated physically and offensively. This doesnt mean they are definitely going to win, but it feels like TB will have to steal a game at home if they want to win the series. It can be done, but if I was a betting man I would put my money on the Caps to move on.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida

This would require us to no show again, If this team plays an entire game like we did the first period of game 5 I am fine with whatever result comes of it. Lightning haven’t really truly had their backs up against a wall and had to play true desperation hockey.

Reactions: Sentinel

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Tampa wasnt playing a terrible game before the Caps scored. It was after they scored that the Caps really dominated. If TB had scored first the game would have looked very different. Not in that the Caps wouldnt have dominated but their system would be different and it would have opened things up for TB a bit. The key for TB is getting that first goal. If they cant, they absolutely have to get the 2nd goal or it wont be a game. Simple as that in my opinion.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Caps are 2/2 this season in games after snapping a 3-game losing streak, scored 5 goals in both games.

I remember from betting pov comparing my notes before this series started that it had a very similar flow from both teams going into it than the Oilers-Ducks series last season.

Games have been different compared to that series, but the winner of each game has been the same. Oilers took a 2-0 lead, Ducks went up 3-2, Oilers trashed them at home and then in game 7 they scored 1st but the Ducks eventually battled their way back and won the game.

I expect the Caps to start the game strong like the Oilers did, and the key will be how well can they capitalize on that. I think the game favors Tampa the longer it goes but on the other hand, i do like the Caps more in this situation than i liked the Oilers then, however, gut says it comes down to Vasi outplaying Holtby and Tampa eventually wins. If that doesn't happen though, and the goaltending is even, i think Caps win.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Last season the Caps blew the Pens off the ice in game six and then got shut out in game seven in one of the most lackluster showings in their playoff history.

Just sayin'.
In 2016 TB held a 3-2 lead on the Pens, got dunked on in game 6 and then lost game 7. Granted that game 7 was on the road, but I think game 7 will mirror those results.

There is absolutely zero question that the Caps just want it more. They carry play whether they have the lead or not. They're focused. Washington can blindly throw a pass and it's right on someone's tape. They're blocking shots, blocking zone clears, quick transitions. And they do it from puck drop to final whistle. They've proved it since puck drop of game 1. Tampa hasn't proven anything to me other than that they apparently expect a trip to the finals to be handed to them.

Effort will always beat out skill.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
In 2016 TB held a 3-2 lead on the Pens, got dunked on in game 6 and then lost game 7. Granted that game 7 was on the road, but I think game 7 will mirror those results.

There is absolutely zero question that the Caps just want it more. They carry play whether they have the lead or not. They're focused. Washington can blindly throw a pass and it's right on someone's tape. They're blocking shots, blocking zone clears, quick transitions. And they do it from puck drop to final whistle. They've proved it since puck drop of game 1. Tampa hasn't proven anything to me other than that they apparently expect a trip to the finals to be handed to them.

Good post and I agree! I just get so tired of the Caps outplaying the other team, and yes I realize the goalie is part of the other team, but losing in heartbreaking fashion year after year after year.

Praying for something different this time, expecting the worst. :(

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Good post and I agree! I just get so tired of the Caps outplaying the other team, and yes I realize the goalie is part of the other team, but losing in heartbreaking fashion year after year after year.

Praying for something different this time, expecting the worst. :(

I never bought the notion that the Caps were fundamentally flawed, or chokers, or lacked motivation, or whatever the deep analysis-du-jour was each time they came up short. But on the other hand, year after year of underachievement is hard to ignore and leaves a stain on your psyche. We all expect the worst; Caps fans probably take out optimism-insurance. Anyways, here's hoping you finally get some well-earned payback.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Last season the Caps blew the Pens off the ice in game six and then got shut out in game seven in one of the most lackluster showings in their playoff history.

Just sayin'.
Caps do seem mentally stronger this year. Despite largely carrying play against the pens last year, each game there would be spurts where they completely fall apart letting the pens put up back breakers. That was almost non existent this year despite the series being much more even.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

That's how the Golden Knights succeeded, right?

Reactions: Sentinel

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I really don't think we'll win. Too many guys are just happy to be there.

This is a disappointing CF considering how well we handled the Bruins. I hope the organization isn't happy with an ECF showing if this ends tomorrow - some passengers need to be shipped off.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
I think home ice comes more into play if they get the first goal. Then the crowd relaxes and can really get going. If the Caps get the first one - especially while carrying play like they have been - that home crowd stars to get nervous, quiet, and much less of a factor.

I think it’s a toss up. Whoever wins will have a good claim as to why they are moving on. Two good teams duking it out. Hope it’s the Caps that find a way to win it. And hopefully my heart still works after the final whistle regardless.

Captain And Coke

Apr 29, 2011
"Smooth" Jimmy Apollo hereby declares Washington to be his lock of the week.

Lock of the Week.jpg

Reactions: BuckyDornster

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
This particular Caps team seems able to get up when they have to. They closed out both Columbus and Pittsburgh in 6. If they didn't choke then, there's no reason to think they'll definitely choke now. Who knows what will happen.

Yes, they are battle tested against good teams. The Bolts are ultra talented though. Should be a great game 7, both teams deserve credit for being in the final 3 teams out of a 31 team league.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I really don't think we'll win. Too many guys are just happy to be there.

This is a disappointing CF considering how well we handled the Bruins. I hope the organization isn't happy with an ECF showing if this ends tomorrow - some passengers need to be shipped off.

Agree. I was super confident going into this series but Washington has been way better than I thought they would be. This wasnt because of what I thought about the Caps and how good they are, more so how well I have seen our team play this year. To see the Caps play the way they have vs TB makes me think a few things. TB has some injuries that we dont know about. Bost and NJ just really were not that good. Or Washington is really this good & TB just isnt this good. I think its a combo of all 3. However I still think TB is good enough to win game 7. We have won 3 vs them so far. We can get #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad