Post-Game Talk: EC Round 1: New York Rangers (M3) vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (M2) (PIT leads 1-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Do we have any idea what Hank's injury could be? Scratched cornea?

Hopefully the eyelid reflex protected against any real damage. He didn't lose vision for any prolonged time or he would have gone right out.

Seemed like he got hit in the corner of the eye which looked slightly bruised. I would assume it started swelling and he'll have a nice shiner for a while.

Hoping no actual eyeball damage. Him being able to finish the period was a good sign.

Wouldn't put it past him that he will be ready for Sat afternoon

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Need to come out and finish the chances on Saturday. Even with our breakdowns and issues I felt we carried the play and were probably the better team for a majority of the game. The Penguins capitalized on their chances, but it's not like they overwhelmed us or anything like that.

The inability to get shots through is a big problem. It seems like every team we play gets a lot of their shots through our attempted shot blocks and created havoc in front and make Hank or Raanta work for their saves. We had so many chances that were stifled by shot blockers. They need to do a better job of getting their shots through traffic, it's a must.

Zatkoff was pretty good, but all game he was shaky and scrambly and out of position. They need to make him pay when that happens. Staal hits that empty net in the 1st and this is a completely different game. We are a totally different team with the lead.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I stand by what I've said since like ngame ten of this season....we are playing some God awful hockey this year...luckily we don't have a number one or I would been pissed we didn't go full on tank.

Rangers need to rebuild...not reload.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
I stand by what I've said since like ngame ten of this season....we are playing some God awful hockey this year...luckily we don't have a number one or I would been pissed we didn't go full on tank.

Rangers need to rebuild...not reload.

Replace/upgrade four guys - Girardi, Staal, Boyle, Glass, and they're fine.

I'd like the defense to average 25 years old. The forwards are fine.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Brassard was very meh. Staal and Boyle were fine.

WtkJW5b.gif

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Staal is debatable.

We didn't watch the same game if you thought Boyle was bad. But you always think Boyle is bad, so...

Because Boyle is awful. He does nothing well in the defensive zone and is a general non-factor in the offensive zone. When he makes horrible turnovers like he did tonight, he's an even bigger net-negative than he normally is.

Boyle is not a good hockey player. The only reason he's here is due to his NMC.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Because Boyle is awful. He does nothing well in the defensive zone and is a general non-factor in the offensive zone. When he makes horrible turnovers like he did tonight, he's an even bigger net-negative than he normally is.

Boyle is not a good hockey player. The only reason he's here is due to his NMC.

There's many nights you could say that about Boyle this season. Tonight was not one of them.

Problematique

Apr 3, 2011
Australia
Curious as to why our D join the rush so often when they're so offensively inept with the exception of Yandle?

I can't remember them being caught out on odd man rushes this often in past season.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Boyle is still competent when he has the puck. Staal and Girardi will occasionally make a nice block or pokecheck but you need to be good when you have it.

We weren't bad tonight. Except Girardi.
Marc was terrible and a few forwards were invisible. Missed an empty net, injured Lundqvist (to the extent that he missed the last periods), and did **** all on the 1st goal. That was just the 1st period. I get that people don't like Dan Boyle but he's a much better option for Marc's partner than Girardi.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
We weren't bad tonight. Except Girardi.

The major problem is that even if we carry the play and we have more zone time and shot attempts than the other team, the defensive play has been so erratic that they don't need to out-corsi us to beat us. That's where Hank is the great equalizer, but without him it's rough, not that Raanta played horribly or anything, but you catch my drift.

They need to tighten up. Girardi is two steps behind at all times, Staal had been playing better, but pairing him with Girardi throws that down the toilet because he can't carry Girardi, not by a long shot.

AV might need to go Staal-Boyle and Skjei-Girardi. Idk, without McD this D group is seriously not working.

The good news is that it was just 1 game. They can make adjustments. The bad news is AV is the coach and he doesn't make adjustments. For all we know, he was fine with G and Staal's games tonight.

Saturday they need to come out on fire and get a couple early goals. Whether it's Zatkoff again or MAF, they need to capitalize on their early pressure. We essentially dominated the 1st period and had nothing to show for it. If they pop in an early goal (Staal's open net and Hayes' good chance come to minds) that is a totally different game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad