OT: Eastside Hockey Manager Releases New Game

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
A real blockbuster steal at the deadline for me...

Umberger, 2016 1st & 2016 2nd for Erik Johnson. :laugh:

Traded Grossmann for a 3rd.

Picked up Kimmo off waivers just after the deadline.

The result was I only went and snuck in the playoffs! Beat the Pens in the first round 4-0, then lost to the Rags 4-2 in the 2nd round.

Jake won the Art Ross by tiebreak. 93 points but Hall who he tied with had less goals. G was 4th with 88 in 79 games.

Raffl was a monster and got 30 goals and 65 points on their wing.

Couts, Schenn and Simmer 2nd line all hit 50 points. Simmer with 31 goals.

Laughton came up half way through the year and paced for 35. Read paced for 40.

Bellemare -- Kruger -- White 4th was pretty good... Bellemare promoted to 3LW when RJ traded, VdV replaced him on 4th.

Streit scraped 50. MDZ got 39. Johnson over 40 points combined with time with Avs... he played 24 mins down the stretch for me.

Mason ended up with a .911 but a great rating as the D sucked until Johnson was acquired.

Signed Andrei Loktionov on a free from KHL, he turned up at the end of the Pens series and got 4 points in Rags series.

Traded Schultz for picks near the draft (4th and a 5th.)

Traded Flyers 1st (21st overall) and Luke Schenn for San Jose 1st (16th overall) and San Jose 2016 3rd.

In the draft I got J. Roy and Svechnikov with the 16th and 24th picks. Marner fell loads as he was injured... but went 15th... was debating between J. Roy and Provorov, but Roy seems better on the game and all my scouts liked him more.

Got Forsbacka-Karlsson in the 3rd, Vande Sompel in the 4th. No notable names apart from that though I think I had 13 picks!

UFA came up and Duclair and Zykov were available as he went unsigned! Snapped up both. Also picked up Kristian Näkyvä from Lulea... he is competing with Gudas for #6 and is around the same level of player on the game.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
My first season has been a disaster so far. I'm probably gonna get fired because they're expecting me to make the playoffs. :laugh:

Through 23 games we have a record of 5-13-5. 29th place in the league, 2 points ahead of Colorado. They fired Roy after a bad start and I hired him as an assistant coach.

Injuries have been rough. At one point I had Mason, Giroux and Voracek all injured at the same time. I just got Voracek and Giroux back but Mason is still out for a couple months.

Simmonds is currently leading the team in goals, assists and points with 8-8-16.

MadFerIt95*

Made a bit of a controversial move, shipped out Coots and a third for Jacob Trouba. Coots was underperforming and I need a young Right D man. In 30 games he scored 7 points in 30 games and was -12, but this was on a bad team.

Also unloaded Umberger for a 3rd so I should have some room for signing some FAs.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
Most realistic hockey game on the market :laugh:

9KfiA6K.jpg

MadFerIt95*

Lucked out and won the lottery and selected McDavid, brilliant! Since I lucked out and got him I traded Laughton, my other first, and a 2nd to move up to number 5 to pick Zacha. Got Carlo in the second as well, loved the draft results.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Darren Helm was waived... picked him up and have a Bellemare -- Kruger -- Helm 4th line... is is gorgeous, just insanely awesome. So fast, never loses a faceoff and Helm has ignited a scoring touch to a great defensive line.

Morin made the Flyers. He is really developing on mine.

MacDonald -- E. Johnson
Morin -- Streit
MDZ -- Gudas
Mitchell

Is my D for the year. Johnson is godly... Colorado were idiots for trading him... and taking Umberger back in the deal! :laugh:

Also signed Bergenheim for 1.2mill a month into 2nd season and traded Loktionov and a 4th for a 2nd (recouping one of the picks from trading for E. Johnson). Bergenheim -- Laughton -- Read 3rd line now.

The Maple Leafs did not sign Andreas Johnson well, so picked him up. Him, Cousins, Duclair and Zykov are making the AHL look like a holiday camp, Johnson is at 1.6 PPG 15 games in... knocking on the NHL door. And I got those three as unsigned prospects...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Either the Flyers roster sucks, or I'm not good at all with tactics. Probably a combination of both.

I had an awful start to my 1st year... the D is definitely bottom 5 on the game (Streit & AMac are 3-4s, MDZ a 4, Grossmann, Schenn, Gudas and Schultz 5-6s if you get your best scout to evaluate them) but then after jiggling around with tactics ended up with:

Tactics:

Set offensive metality.
Set hard backchecking.
Set heavy puck pressure.
Set high tempo.
Set high shooting level.

Set free flowing breakouts.
Positional neutral zone.
Overload slot.
Positional high forecheck.
1-2-2 neutral zone.
Positional defensive zone.
Overload offensive faceoffs.
Basic defensive faceoffs.

Went into individual orders on tactics and:

Set Giroux and Voracek to extremely offensive.

Set Voracek, Simmonds, B. Schenn and Raffl to shoot preference. (as all have good shots and are top 6 wingers with good playmakers at C.)

That seemed to really suit the team... the assets the team has are all offensive, so played to the strengths and just outscored my way to playoffs! All the top 6 got 20+ goals and 50+ points, (G, V, Raffl, Simmer, Schenn and Couts.) with G & V with 88 and 93 points.

The offense is certainly there on the game... the top six is as good as pretty much all but 5 other teams stat wise seemingly.

Though I must say I would not have made the playoffs without trading for Erik Johnson. Johnson, Streit, AMac and MDZ gave me an actual semi-legit top 4. (with Johnson playing 24 a night and Streit 23!) Kruger as 4C was also nice.

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
What's E. Johnson's rating in the game? I feel like he never developed in the older versions.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What's E. Johnson's rating in the game? I feel like he never developed in the older versions.

My best scout has 20 judging potential and ability as says he is a #1-2 defenseman.

He seems to get ~40 points a season and is more than capable of playing ~24 minutes a night. His defense is pretty good on it as well.

I think he is rated pretty fairly in comparison to how he is in reality right now, his stats over a season and a half in the game are almost identical to his production this season and last.

Feb 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
The craziest thing just happened in my game. I was advancing to a next day when I got a message that the Coyotes had to forfeit their game against Montreal because they had too few players.

I thought that was strange so I go to the box score to investigate and it turns out that it was a penalty fest. Tons of fights and misconducts. But here's the best part. In the 2nd period, both goalies for both teams got match penalties. :amazed:

I can't even fit all the penalties onto one screenshot. This is just the second period. There was more stuff in the 1st. :laugh:

hL8XXyf.jpg

QNhBAt6.jpg

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I had a game vs Ottawa (fittingly) where there was a full on line brawl and Voracek was suspended a game because of it.

Both goalies were ejected as well... but after that it went back to being a normal game... just both backups had to come in.

That game looks crazy though! Especially for a complete simmed one!

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
My best scout has 20 judging potential and ability as says he is a #1-2 defenseman.

He seems to get ~40 points a season and is more than capable of playing ~24 minutes a night. His defense is pretty good on it as well.

I think he is rated pretty fairly in comparison to how he is in reality right now, his stats over a season and a half in the game are almost identical to his production this season and last.

Cool, thanks for the reply. Good to hear. I have the old version, is this new one quite a bit better?

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Tanked in the first season, finished 3rd last but won the lottery. Drafted McDavid. Turning into a bust to the point that he board believes he has no place on the team in season 2.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Cool, thanks for the reply. Good to hear. I have the old version, is this new one quite a bit better?

Yep, it is similar in most ways. (to the point if you played 2007 you can jump in and navigate the menus almost perfectly, there are only a few changes... but then 2007 was a great game that's strength was it's layout. Better layout than FM IMO.)

However, just a few things that are visibly better to me after nearly two seasons:

Scoring reality is almost perfect. Top guy in the league will get 90-100 points, there will be ~5/6 guys over 82.

Player ratings are IMO pretty excellent. If you play players in their NHL role they score at an eerily similar rate.

Development is a lot better, players are seemingly panning out who should, and less random guys getting brilliant like 2007.

Practice seems to have far more effect on current roster. Get good coaches and put players on the schedule they are best suited to and young players with potential improve hand over fist.

The trade engine seems better. Especially for established players and moving up drafts simply with draft picks. On the old game you could trade 3rd line forwards for #3 dmen with a bit of luck... that won't happen now. If you want to move into the 1st round now it will take a probably 2x 2nd round picks + another pick or two. Wheras on 2007 you could give a 2nd and 3rd and get to the mid 1st.

CPUs rate their own players very well. Say goodbye to 2007 putting 1st line talent on 3rd and 4th lines and making a guy who could easily score 50 points a 20 point guy, and #5-6 dmen playing on the top pair while a decent #2 gets scratched at times.

Prospects for the next 2 drafts are very well rated for the whole part.

The negatives so far for me are:

CPUs value young talent far too little. Saad, Toffoli and Klingberg were all traded at the deadline for less than they should have been, ie solid 2nd pairing D men and 2nd line wingers who are only ~10 points better than them but 10 years older.

Teams who are close to grasping a cup self destruct as they do not have the cap awareness for the next year. Ie on my game Chicago brought in ~4 guys at the deadline and maxed out on cap to try and win the cup... I mean, they were a powerhouse and lost in conf finals, with all 6 dmen being top 4 guys. But the year after they traded Keith for far less than his value due to cap constraints.

Teams waive players too easily.

Teams out of playoff contention can be a bit too trigger happy moving guys aged ~25-30 and in their prime for young talent and high picks... I mean, it makes sense in one way but they can move some guys who would never be moved in real life even when rebuilding.

But yeh, overall it is better than 2007 by some way IMO. Well worth the very cheap price.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Don't know about you guys, but Steve Mason is hot garbage for me. This is the most frustrated I've been at a video game in a long time.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
hey all, I'm developing an iOS hockey sim (or like a sports-strategy game), its going to be very light but its gonna be cool. right now there is drafting, scouting (only 4 countries atm), player development (generational talents, elite talents, high end, so forth...), free agency, trades (hopefully), you'll be able to coach players during their games to influence their decisions, etc. i think the game will mostly apply to stat nerds like myself because events such as goals depend on player ratings (skater's shooting power/accuracy vs goalie's glove & agility stats). its pretty fun building the best team and finding gems in the draft (i always make sure there are sleepers in the later rounds, i know how to party).

theres no 3d stuff going on here btw, just like using any PC hockey sim to iOS some extent. in a way this game is influenced by trophy hockey, an online hockey management game I played back in college which was pretty sweet but then got shut down because no one played it unfortunately. so just like in that game, all the players in this one are randomly generated.

if anyone wants to test it before it hits the app store let me know any feedback is useful

Last edited:

OurSaviorGhostBear

Nov 2, 2014
hey all, I'm developing an iOS hockey sim (or like a sports-strategy game), its going to be very light but its gonna be cool. right now there is drafting, scouting (only 4 countries atm), player development (generational talents, elite talents, high end, so forth...), free agency, trades (hopefully), you'll be able to coach players during their games to influence their decisions, etc. i think the game will mostly apply to stat nerds like myself because events such as goals depend on player ratings (skater's shooting power/accuracy vs goalie's glove & agility stats). its pretty fun building the best team and finding gems in the draft (i always make sure there are sleepers in the later rounds, i know how to party).

theres no 3d stuff going on here btw, just like using any PC hockey sim to iOS some extent. in a way this game is influenced by trophy hockey, an online hockey management game I played back in college which was pretty sweet but then got shut down because no one played it unfortunately. so just like in that game, all the players in this one are randomly generated.

if anyone wants to test it before it hits the app store let me know any feedback is useful

I would love to try this out. It sounds great.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Don't know about you guys, but Steve Mason is hot garbage for me. This is the most frustrated I've been at a video game in a long time.

He was rolling at under .900 for me for the first half of the first season... but still had an average rating of over 7.5! Brought in E. Johnson and had some semblance of a top 4 and he finished the year at .910. Just finished 2nd season and he finished with .917.

2nd year was pretty fun. East was so close that on the last day of the season I could have finished 1st-7th! Caps, Pens, Rags and me all within a point on the last day.

Came 4th in the conference, 2nd in division, and played the Penguins 1st round... swept them again! Then beat the Rags in 7 games.
Then got swept by the Lighting in the conf finals.

Giroux won Art Ross with 91 points.
Jake got 72 in 75. Bit down from 1st year.
Simmer & Schenn both got 25 goals and over 50 points.
Couturier got 49 points.
Raffl got 46 points. 20 point drop from unsustainable 1st season!
Laughton got 35. Him, Bergenheim & Read all over 30 points.
4th line of Bellemare-Kruger-Helm was awesome. Helm got 13 goals.

Morin made the team in camp, played 77 games, 15 points, +15.
Ghost came up as AMac broke his leg after ~50 games. Ghost got 12 points in last ~30 games.

Traded Andreas Johnson (who I picked up as an unsigned prospect, and a 3rd to Anaheim for their 1st. He had came up in the playoffs for an injured Simmer and got 6 in 10... but my scouts say he is a 3rd liner at best.)

Drafted Travis Barron & Clayton Keller with my 1st's. Stole William Fallstrom in the 2nd. Had 9 draft picks... took 8 forwards!

Resigned Couts 4 years $4m.
Resigned B. Schenn 4 years $4.5m
Resigned Helm 2 years $2.2m.
Let Bergenheim & Raanta walk.

Jake refused to sign... went UFA but then signed 4 years $8.275m.
Raffl refused to sign... went UFA but then signed 3 years $3m.

Picked up Hamhuis 2yrs $4m AAV.

The traded Streit for a 2017 3rd (his is still a decent 2nd pairing guy (got 39 points last year) but won't be after this upcoming year... turning 39 and my scouts rate Del Zotto & Morin better now) & Cousins for a 2017 3rd... Cousins is in a logjam even though good enough for 4th line.

One of Hamhuis, Del Zotto & MacDonald likely gets traded if Sanheim makes the team... he has progressed awesomely, I thought he was going to flop in his post draft year, got ~0.6 PPG... but 2015-16 got 1.1 PPG in the WHL and is apparently better than Ghost and close to Morin already.

Stolarz is gona be my backup for 2016-17. Morin & Ghost definitely in team. Sanheim likely.

Have a slot on LW that Duclair & Zykov :nod: will fight over. Leier could be a darkhorse to push someone off team... Bellemare I imagine.

Svechnikov & Roy not ready yet... but Roy is progressing great and Svechnikov is putting up a lot of points even if attributes dont look the best.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Still trying to fully figure out the game but I'm having fun so far. I'm tanking in my first season as I'm 29th in the league standings right now.

I traded Vinny, Grossmann, and Umberger for a bunch of 3rd and 4th round picks. Then I just traded MacDonald for Haydn Fleury :handclap:

MadFerIt95*

Where do I find the Free Agents? Ive been looking for an hour but its nowhere to be found

nvm found it

Last edited by a moderator:

OurSaviorGhostBear

Nov 2, 2014
Can someone please tell me how to hire another head coach and where free agency is. I have looked for an hour but still couldn't find it.

MadFerIt95*

Can someone please tell me how to hire another head coach and where free agency is. I have looked for an hour but still couldn't find it.

Free Agency is actually under scouting, which is fairly confusing.

Heres a vid that shows how to hire a coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad