Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Would like to see your save game but also I would need more information about the computer you are working on, if its that slow it could be a drive issue or some sort of data corruption. EHM is very finicky about a clean hard drive (as far as no issues, bad sectors etc).

The computer is a beast, 32gb of ram and a Nvidia 1080 card. Plenty of disc space too. No issues there. Using Windows 10, which admittedly has caused some issues in other games.

Sometimes it acts like it's crashing, but if you wait it will be fine.

Yea be patient with it, especially if you have a larger amount of leagues selected with a Large or Full database and default or higher detail level.

I do know what you guys mean. The situations I'm referring to are hard crashes. The game will stop responding and close itself.

Could be issues with league selection or database size.. Think it's been mentioned by @archibalduk, @BKarchitect and @xECK29x that the database size and having so many leagues selected will through EHM into a fit and not be able to handle it. The base internals need tweaking but that will come within time..

I select Large databases and only select the NHL as the active league. That being said, the others are listed as enhanced, but I don't check them. Are they still being loaded every time? Would it be beneficial to check them all and set them to view-only?

This also happens no matter what save I use.

You guys are very helpful, I appreciate the insight and troubleshooting advice everyone has given over the last few weeks. Still loving the game.

Sven Andrighetto scored 41g/80p in 82 games and won the Conn Smythe in my last franchise. Who knew Sven had it in him?

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Idk if anyone has mentioned this, but an unfaked 2006-2007 database has been released for EHM on the steam workshop. I think I may wait to start a game with that, it doesn't have enough modern players for me to want to start a game, but pretty interesting nonetheless.

Will be watching this DB's progress with interest - can no longer access EHM 2007 so would love to dust off a game trying out Bobby Ryan, Kaspars Daugavins, and Antero Nittymäki who were all undervalued but amazing players in that vanilla DB.

Also checking to see if EHM anomaly Jordan Irons is in the DB.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I select Large databases and only select the NHL as the active league. That being said, the others are listed as enhanced, but I don't check them. Are they still being loaded every time? Would it be beneficial to check them all and set them to view-only?

No you are good, and if it’s crashing with just NHL selected I’d like to see the save game if you can send me over a copy right before a crash. I’m going to guess something else is going on though if it’s crashing with just NHL and it’s totally random.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Idk if anyone has mentioned this, but an unfaked 2006-2007 database has been released for EHM on the steam workshop. I think I may wait to start a game with that, it doesn't have enough modern players for me to want to start a game, but pretty interesting nonetheless.

I am super excited for this.. Haven't honestly played EHM in a good while so it's awesome to have this come around.

Will be watching this DB's progress with interest - can no longer access EHM 2007 so would love to dust off a game trying out Bobby Ryan, Kaspars Daugavins, and Antero Nittymäki who were all undervalued but amazing players in that vanilla DB.

Also checking to see if EHM anomaly Jordan Irons is in the DB.

Don't forget legends like Peter Bondra and Sergei Zubov who were putting up stellar numbers for me back in EHM 07 :laugh::nod:. Just download it now and have been quick simming a few weeks and this is the closest you can get for a 'EHM 07' variant for the modern game.

Reactions: xECK29x

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
I'm more curious about anomaly players that the computer always disregarded and never had very impressive CA but still always got great ratings for every team they played like Michael Blunden, Lee Falardeau and Martin Lojek.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am super excited for this.. Haven't honestly played EHM in a good while so it's awesome to have this come around.

Yeah same, I keep starting up new games now and I stop pretty quickly because I just do the same things every game. This DB is super different, it's like the 1997 database that I really enjoyed playing on.

I'll start up a game when more major players have been added to that DB. I was just looking through the database last night and saw that guys like Matthews, Pastrnak, Dahlin and Kucherov weren't included in the database, so I'm going to wait for more of the top modern players to be added before I start a new game with that. I wouldn't even demand that the database be updated with every single player drafted or signed since 2006, but I'd at least like for all of the top players to be included. I have a feeling that the top end skill for 2020 in that database will be much lower than it is in real life.

If I could just get the top-5 or top-10 players from every draft plus the biggest undrafted free agents (namely Bobrovsky and Panarin), I'd be completely happy with the database. I know some of the top young players in the NHL today were included in that database (I saw McDavid, Eichel, Draisaitl, Ekblad, Reinhart and Nylander in the database in my brief search), but I'd like to have basically all of the elite players in the league today in that DB. As soon as those guys are added, I'm definitely making a new save with that DB.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

Don't forget legends like Peter Bondra and Sergei Zubov who were putting up stellar numbers for me back in EHM 07 :laugh::nod:. Just download it now and have been quick simming a few weeks and this is the closest you can get for a 'EHM 07' variant for the modern game.

Patrick Thoresen, 30 goal scorer for me. Vanek never less than 40 goals for almost one decade.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Patrick Thoresen, 30 goal scorer for me. Vanek never less than 40 goals for almost one decade.

how could I forget about Thoresen! The Olimb brothers are pretty good too. Always had success with those.

I'm more curious about anomaly players that the computer always disregarded and never had very impressive CA but still always got great ratings for every team they played like Michael Blunden, Lee Falardeau and Martin Lojek.

I’ve noticed that’s has always happened, even in Football Manager. Some players just ‘acted right’ and were successful within the game. (Can someone riddle me how Pavel Brendl was always a BEAST in the early versions of this game?! :huh:)

Reactions: pukovnik

Apr 9, 2009
USA
No you are good, and if it’s crashing with just NHL selected I’d like to see the save game if you can send me over a copy right before a crash. I’m going to guess something else is going on though if it’s crashing with just NHL and it’s totally random.

Happy to do that. Of course now that I've finally made a post about it, the game is running fine. I'll isolate a file next time it happens.

That is the problem. You need a snuggling kitty to run this game.

That PC is upstairs, maybe I'll give it a go. I have Steam on it. :laugh:

Got that one in preparation for Skyrim...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I probably have mentioned this before, but has anyone figured out how to help your centers get better ratings? Because I've found it nearly impossible to have 2 PPG centers, even if they're super high CAs, and my 3Cs always have below a 6.75 overall rating. Is it just a flaw in EHM that punishes centers and doesn't have enough points per goal?

I have noticed that a flaw with the computer teams in EHM is that they don't shoot the puck enough. Goalies don't have that good of stats and scorers don't produce that much because teams just aren't shooting the puck that much in EHM. But if you change your shot mode to "barrage", you dominate the other teams.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Happy to do that. Of course now that I've finally made a post about it, the game is running fine. I'll isolate a file next time it happens.

I had to do this as well for my old Optiplex Gx280, sometimes the game would 'lock' from day to day and then crash for no reason. When a buddy of mine built me a new PC with Win10, I had zero crashes. I changed some bits of the Detail Level, and created an isolated save file, and ran the save through that. Ran smoother than the original. I keep it as a backup and save over it, so one main save and one backup of it.

That is the problem. You need a snuggling kitty to run this game.

Well, kinda/sorta. In my experience can't have something basic years ago running this game. EHM07 ran fine on my old GX280, but EHM1 couldn't run without severe lockups at times. Now with an updated system, it should run both games fine.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
Thank you to everyone who has posted kind messages on the Expanded Unfaking Database. Just to be 100% clear, all I have done is convert the original EHM 2007 Unfaking and Updated Unfaking Databases to EHM 1 format, add a bunch of playable leagues and undo an old EHM 2007 DB hack. All credit to CJ, Alessandro, Laz and the many others who created the original DB.

If I could just get the top-5 or top-10 players from every draft plus the biggest undrafted free agents (namely Bobrovsky and Panarin), I'd be completely happy with the database. I know some of the top young players in the NHL today were included in that database (I saw McDavid, Eichel, Draisaitl, Ekblad, Reinhart and Nylander in the database in my brief search), but I'd like to have basically all of the elite players in the league today in that DB. As soon as those guys are added, I'm definitely making a new save with that DB.

At the moment, only some future prospects are currently present in the DB. I can't recall whether Alessandro and team added any prospects up to 2011 but I know CJ added some up to 2014 (see here for an approximate, but most likely out of date list).

I'm going to continue to work on the playable leagues for now. I want to be in a position where all of the original EHM 2007 playable leagues are playable in EHM 1. I can then take a look at adding missing prospects for each NHL draft. The great thing is that we have all of the ratings from subsequent TBL Rosters, so I can base ratings on those. I actually have a half-finished tool which allows me to track players' ratings across databases. I should really finish that at some point as it would be a great help.

In the meantime, I'm going to switch back to the Editor for a little while but I'll try and turn back to the database in a month or so.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
It crashes whenever I continue 100% of the time after I do anything in the scouting tab, about half the time when I continue when I make roster changes, and 100% of the time when I click on my other monitor while the game is loading. When I say 100%, I am not exaggerating.

I save every day in-game and it only takes a couple seconds to reboot, so it's not the end of the world. Also, this happened before your rosters were downloaded. I just never really mentioned it.

I would implore you to upload your saved game to the SI Games Forums so that Riz can take a look. Even though he is not active on the EHM forums as such, he is still putting in a lot of time on the next EHM patch. @xECK29x has reported many crashes over recent months and the vast majority of them have been simple fixes for Riz. So if you upload your saved game, there is a good chance the issue could be patched to stop it from happening again (or alternatively it might reveal an unknown issue with the database itself). See here for details on how to upload: FTP Details

If you're not sure how to upload then email your saved game to ehmtheblueline AT gmail DOT com and I will pass it to Riz for you.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Thanks. That was my next question.

I wish the rest of the forums were as pleasant and helpful as this thread. :laugh: (this is not an insult to the mods to be clear lol)

Also, what are these "unfaked" rosters? What does that mean? I see you guys talking about them and I see them on the store.

Last edited:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
You only need a good CPU to play ehm games really. GPUs ect dont matter

Single core CPU clock speed and high I/O for the hard drive (SSD is best) will work best. EHM is not multi-threaded. The reason the game "feels" faster on older PCs is clock speeds back in the late 2000s-early 2010s were higher then they are now (now more cores/threads matters more then clock speed for most users).

Reactions: Darkauron

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thank you to everyone who has posted kind messages on the Expanded Unfaking Database. Just to be 100% clear, all I have done is convert the original EHM 2007 Unfaking and Updated Unfaking Databases to EHM 1 format, add a bunch of playable leagues and undo an old EHM 2007 DB hack. All credit to CJ, Alessandro, Laz and the many others who created the original DB.

At the moment, only some future prospects are currently present in the DB. I can't recall whether Alessandro and team added any prospects up to 2011 but I know CJ added some up to 2014 (see here for an approximate, but most likely out of date list).

I'm going to continue to work on the playable leagues for now. I want to be in a position where all of the original EHM 2007 playable leagues are playable in EHM 1. I can then take a look at adding missing prospects for each NHL draft. The great thing is that we have all of the ratings from subsequent TBL Rosters, so I can base ratings on those. I actually have a half-finished tool which allows me to track players' ratings across databases. I should really finish that at some point as it would be a great help.

In the meantime, I'm going to switch back to the Editor for a little while but I'll try and turn back to the database in a month or so.

Yeah, the list you linked that CJ did is the exact kind of thing that would be awesome for this DB. Don't go insane and add literally every single player and make sure everyone aligns, but just make sure the big guns still end up the big guns in these saves. I may play around with the editor to see if I can just do that manually, it seems relatively simple to do (busy work but not super difficult) and I can just add some of the big name guys.

EHM probably auto-generates enough prospects to end up in the 140-170 PA range, so I don't think I need to worry about those. I just want to be sure that the irl 180+ PA guys actually end up 180+ PA guys in EHM. It does look really exciting, but I'm just hoping that DB gets on par with the 1997-1998 DB when it comes to future players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thanks. That was my next question.

I wish the rest of the forums were as pleasant and helpful as this thread. :laugh:

Also, what are these "unfaked" rosters? What does that mean? I see you guys talking about them and I see them on the store.

I think one of the default rosters was a 2006-2007 NHL roster with fake names. This database unfakes those names, so the Penguins actually have a 190 CA Crosby instead of a 190 CA random player that is supposed to be Crosby. It's a DB I'm super excited to play, I didn't play EHM 2007 but absolutely love playing sims of old rosters.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I think one of the default rosters was a 2006-2007 NHL roster with fake names. This database unfakes those names, so the Penguins actually have a 190 CA Crosby instead of a 190 CA random player that is supposed to be Crosby. It's a DB I'm super excited to play, I didn't play EHM 2007 but absolutely love playing sims of old rosters.

I've only used ECK's rosters so far, but I do look forward to messing around with the retro rosters. The time you're talking about was the pinnacle of my hockey nerddom.

I would also like to use some fake rosters one day so I don't have to deal with my own bias.. my teams are always loaded with Pens.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

It’s funny, I think I might be in the minority who doesn’t mind the ‘Fake Name’ generic databases that the game comes with out of the box. You can create more ‘fantasy stories’ with players who you may have never used before verses a real database. Could be just me!

@archibalduk - is anyone from the original team (you, Alessandro, CJ, Manimal, @Nino33, etc.) still involved with the creating and maintaining the databases like the current TBL one?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Alright I have a save that crashes nearly every calendar day no matter what I do and it's driving me to the point of insanity.

NHL/AHL are the only things set to enhanced, and I had a GM in the AHL. I retired him hoping that was the cause of the insane amount of crashes in this franchise. It wasn't!

vgk - that's the save.

(I'm looking to upload it to where Archibald recommended as well)

EDIT: Well, I uploaded it somewhere, but I am not confident about that process. It uploaded, but I had no way to check on it as far as I could tell? There was no sign in? lol. I'm going to send an email to that address Archibald. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: xECK29x
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad