Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It’s funny, I think I might be in the minority who doesn’t mind the ‘Fake Name’ generic databases that the game comes with out of the box. You can create more ‘fantasy stories’ with players who you may have never used before verses a real database. Could be just me!

@archibalduk - is anyone from the original team (you, Alessandro, CJ, Manimal, @Nino33, etc.) still involved with the creating and maintaining the databases like the current TBL one?

Yeah I think this is valid to mention. It is nice having the real players, but you also get OCD about players who do end up good IRL but don't end up good in the game. If the names were fake, I wouldn't care if say fake Jason Zucker didn't end up as good as Jason Zucker. But once you add a name and face there, it's hard to not insist that the game be kept realistic.

Reactions: xECK29x

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
@archibalduk - is anyone from the original team (you, Alessandro, CJ, Manimal, @Nino33, etc.) still involved with the creating and maintaining the databases like the current TBL one?
For me I haven't worked on any modern database in years now. I still do extensive testing on occasion (results posted on TBL in the Data Editing Forum). Last summer was the last time (I inform Riz of the results of my testing).

I still work on my 1974 database, though not regularly. I haven't worked on it yet this year, but I plan to once the NHL playoffs start (I'll work on the database with the playoffs as background).

P.S. Thanks so much to Archi and Manimal and those that supported them for keeping things going, and to ECK and BK and those that support them for their efforts now...

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
Thanks. That was my next question.

I wish the rest of the forums were as pleasant and helpful as this thread. :laugh: (this is not an insult to the mods to be clear lol)

Also, what are these "unfaked" rosters? What does that mean? I see you guys talking about them and I see them on the store.

EHM 2004, 2005 and 2007 had licences for many leagues, but not all leagues. Teams and players in unlicensed leagues were given fake names in order to avoid any issues. The original unfaking project was simply to rename the fake names to their real life names. It then developed into improving and updating the original 2006/07 rosters to try and make them more complete and accurate.

xECK29x is the main database author now. My help is largely with working on the Editor but I also help each summer with the UK updates, as I have for a number of years now. Manimal is still involved to some extent but has relatively little free time these days. The amount of energy and attention to detail that xECK29x puts in is truly remarkable - so it has been business as usual notwithstanding that Manimal has stepped back.

EDIT: Well, I uploaded it somewhere, but I am not confident about that process. It uploaded, but I had no way to check on it as far as I could tell? There was no sign in? lol. I'm going to send an email to that address Archibald. Thanks!

Thank you - I have forwarded to Riz.

For me I haven't worked on any modern database in years now. I still do extensive testing on occasion (results posted on TBL in the Data Editing Forum). Last summer was the last time (I inform Riz of the results of my testing).

I still work on my 1974 database, though not regularly. I haven't worked on it yet this year, but I plan to once the NHL playoffs start (I'll work on the database with the playoffs as background).

P.S. Thanks so much to Archi and Manimal and those that supported them for keeping things going, and to ECK and BK and those that support them for their efforts now...

Welcome back!

Reactions: Nino33

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Alright I have a save that crashes nearly every calendar day no matter what I do and it's driving me to the point of insanity.

Took a look at it (starts at 10/10, I was able to sim until 10/19 with no issues. I saw you are coaching the games and stuff yourself, is it crashing when it goes into the gameplay screen?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Took a look at it (starts at 10/10, I was able to sim until 10/19 with no issues. I saw you are coaching the games and stuff yourself, is it crashing when it goes into the gameplay screen?

It only crashes when clicking continue. Don't think I have ever had a crash anywhere else.

EDIT: Specifically, it crashes during the "processing" part when continuing to the next day. If I see the next date appear, I know I'm in the clear. But it will just stop responding and close automatically when it crashes. And this is for all my saves. The Vegas one was by far the worst, the others only really happen when I scout. But all during processing.

Last edited:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
It only crashes when clicking continue. Don't think I have ever had a crash anywhere else.

EDIT: Specifically, it crashes during the "processing" part when continuing to the next day. If I see the next date appear, I know I'm in the clear. But it will just stop responding and close automatically when it crashes. And this is for all my saves. The Vegas one was by far the worst, the others only really happen when I scout. But all during processing.

I haven't experienced any of those issues with your save game, the game may "freeze" during processing and if you click on it or try to interact with it during that time it could potentially get frozen to the point you have to kill the process but it shouldn't crash to desktop just from simming day to day, at least not that easily. I've seen random crashes here and there but I just load it back up and sim through it.

The game is buggy, there is no doubt about that, it wasn't built for modern hardware or Windows 10, but to me it sounds like you may be having other issues going on with your OS or hardware. I'm happy to continue over PMs to put my IT hat on and help you out there.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I haven't experienced any of those issues with your save game, the game may "freeze" during processing and if you click on it or try to interact with it during that time it could potentially get frozen to the point you have to kill the process but it shouldn't crash to desktop just from simming day to day, at least not that easily. I've seen random crashes here and there but I just load it back up and sim through it.

The game is buggy, there is no doubt about that, it wasn't built for modern hardware or Windows 10, but to me it sounds like you may be having other issues going on with your OS or hardware. I'm happy to continue over PMs to put my IT hat on and help you out there.

No worries, I appreciate the help. I don't mind the occasional crashes on the other saves, that Vegas one was just particularly crash-heavy for some reason. I'll just ditch it.

I'll take you up on that offer if things get worse on the other saves though. Haha

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
It's great to have the unfaked 2006 database available.

I've opened it up in the editor, and I noticed that no players seem to have player roles assigned (am I remembering right that they didn't exist in the same form in EHM 07?), and players seem to have very low consistency -- like 6 -- across the board.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
@archibalduk I noticed when I play the DB, once a player retires and goes into the Hall Of Fame I’ll click on their name and the game will just crash. No freezing or locking up, the game will just ‘close’ itself out.

also another question, I know you and others told me before. With EHM07, once a player retires and become a staff member, usually the player history stays 100% of the time. With EHM1, once a player retires, more often than not their player history does not stay? In my experience, it’s like 80/20 where the game doesn’t keep the player history versus it doing so. I’m not sure if anything had changed with EHM07 to now.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
It's great to have the unfaked 2006 database available.

I've opened it up in the editor, and I noticed that no players seem to have player roles assigned (am I remembering right that they didn't exist in the same form in EHM 07?), and players seem to have very low consistency -- like 6 -- across the board.

That's correct on player roles. They were only introduced in EHM 1. I'd like to add them eventually but not until I have all playable leagues up and running.

I'll check out Consistency. I thought I'd reversed the old EHM 2007 Scoring Patch (which globally edited certain values, such as Consistency, to make scoring levels more like the IRL NHL). Either some players have been missed or I didn't fully reverse the patch.

@archibalduk I noticed when I play the DB, once a player retires and goes into the Hall Of Fame I’ll click on their name and the game will just crash. No freezing or locking up, the game will just ‘close’ itself out.

Sounds like an EHM issue which should be reported on the SI Forums: Eastside Hockey Manager Bugs Forum

If it's just happening with the Unfaking DB and not other EHM 1 databases then let me know and I'll mention it to Riz.

also another question, I know you and others told me before. With EHM07, once a player retires and become a staff member, usually the player history stays 100% of the time. With EHM1, once a player retires, more often than not their player history does not stay? In my experience, it’s like 80/20 where the game doesn’t keep the player history versus it doing so. I’m not sure if anything had changed with EHM07 to now.

I'm not sure that's any different to EHM 2007. I don't know the rationale but maybe one of the more knowledgeable users might.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Sounds like an EHM issue which should be reported on the SI Forums: Eastside Hockey Manager Bugs Forum

If it's just happening with the Unfaking DB and not other EHM 1 databases then let me know and I'll mention it to Riz.

I'll have to get back to you, just look like its happening with yours. All my other saves when someone retires and becomes a staff member the game doesn't crash. I'll try it again later just to make sure

I had an old laptop that was in need of repairs and I was able to fix it yesterday. Installed EHM and it hasn't crashed once.

Hell yeah boys.

Mozel Tov! :5:

Reactions: archibalduk

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
@xECK29x After changing the max club salary to $90,000,000 in the pre-game editor it crashes when starting up a new game...Has this been encountered before?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
@xECK29x After changing the max club salary to $90,000,000 in the pre-game editor it crashes when starting up a new game...Has this been encountered before?

Where are you changing it? If you want to change the cap you need to do it in a few different places. Would need more detail but shouldn't cause a crash outright.

The safest method is just to modify your save game, and not the DB itself for the cap:
Here's a little guide if you were ever interested and didn't know how:
  1. Save your game (do not save it compressed)
  2. Load EHM Editor and load your saved game
  3. Raise the cap and demands as shown in the red boxes here: Cap Raise.pdf
  4. (Optional) you can also go into the "extra rules" tab on page 2 of the PDF above to change the following:
    1. Raise the minimum NHL contract value (be careful not to raise it above max ELC value)
    2. Raise the offer sheet pick compensation values
    3. Raise RFA qualification percentages
  5. Save game as a new file

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Where are you changing it? If you want to change the cap you need to do it in a few different places. Would need more detail but shouldn't cause a crash outright.

The safest method is just to modify your save game, and not the DB itself for the cap:
Here's a little guide if you were ever interested and didn't know how:
  1. Save your game (do not save it compressed)
  2. Load EHM Editor and load your saved game
  3. Raise the cap and demands as shown in the red boxes here: Cap Raise.pdf
  4. (Optional) you can also go into the "extra rules" tab on page 2 of the PDF above to change the following:
    1. Raise the minimum NHL contract value (be careful not to raise it above max ELC value)
    2. Raise the offer sheet pick compensation values
    3. Raise RFA qualification percentages
  5. Save game as a new file

Thanks very much, I'll try that. I agree, it's probably not the cap raise alone. I must have an error somewhere in the config, but it's been a while since I changed anything in there, and don't recall doing anything before this latest crash, so I'll have to review it.

Edit: I had the cap changed back to default in db editor, and it crashed. I discovered one of those random media pundit roster errors, so I corrected that, and raised the cap, and it crashed.
... I thought it was the cap raise, but then just to be sure I deleted the entire Injury section of the extra config because I had added a couple injuries last week, and sure enough it worked. Then to narrow it down I deleted the first half (crashed) and the second half (crashed) so I'm at a loss haha

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Thanks very much, I'll try that. I agree, it's probably not the cap raise alone. I must have an error somewhere in the config, but it's been a while since I changed anything in there, and don't recall doing anything before this latest crash, so I'll have to review it.

Edit: I had the cap changed back to default in db editor, and it crashed. I discovered one of those random media pundit roster errors, so I corrected that, and raised the cap, and it crashed.
... I thought it was the cap raise, but then just to be sure I deleted the entire Injury section of the extra config because I had added a couple injuries last week, and sure enough it worked. Then to narrow it down I deleted the first half (crashed) and the second half (crashed) so I'm at a loss haha

Have you tried using the EHM Assistant? That's typically a bit 'safer' with those rule changes in a save already.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Have you tried using the EHM Assistant? That's typically a bit 'safer' with those rule changes in a save already.
I have tinkered a bit in the past, but haven't explored changing rules.
It seems limited, and glitchy to me.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I have tinkered a bit in the past, but haven't explored changing rules.
It seems limited, and glitchy to me.

I have had zero glitches/crashing/issues with the EHM Assistant. If your looking at editing the Salary Cap, it's the easiest and safest way to use. I changed it to 89 mil on my main save about a year ago and have had no issues. I've also changed many nationalities to Portugal in my save and again have had no issues.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I have had zero glitches/crashing/issues with the EHM Assistant. If your looking at editing the Salary Cap, it's the easiest and safest way to use. I changed it to 89 mil on my main save about a year ago and have had no issues. I've also changed many nationalities to Portugal in my save and again have had no issues.
EHM assistant is amazing. Everyone should have it if you have any interest in changing anything

Not sure what happened but it's working now. I also did the cap raise in EHM assistant and that worked like a charm

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
a miracle happened in my game. I waived Loui Eriksson and LA claimed him!

i tried to push my luck by waiving Beagle and Sutter as well but they cleared lol.

Reactions: Treb and xECK29x

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I simmed to the trade deadline 2020, top scorers:
1. Draisaitl
2. McDavid
3. Pastrnak
4. MacKinnon
5. Marchand

First in my time playing this game I've ever seen it that close to the current real life season.

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I drafted an absolute STUD of a center in my Nordiques franchise.

Chandler Higby
6'5" 224 lb
Left handed
Drafted 71st overall in 2034

4th NHL season:

GP: 82 G: 40 A: 46 P: 86 +33 28 PIMS 87 TKA 355 HITS AND 61%(!) At the dot!

I dont coach games.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Anyone had an issue with a database where it says "subscribed-needs update" and won't appear on available databases for a new game? Everything should be updated but still had this on issue with a restart of Crossover and the game itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad