Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
There is no official bloodlines linkage in the game but in my DB they are listed as 'Favorite Staff/Players" for each other and in their bio it will say they are close friends.

I haven’t played in a decent while, but adding to that, I think that is randomly done by the game itself. On one occasion, I had an NHLer be best friends with some random European player from a second tier Finnish League.

Update to the next EHM Version from Risto:

:

I hope that one day we will see a new one. It's not totally up to me though at the moment.

Up to SEGA, and even then, they put more emphasis on Football Manager than Eastside Hockey Manager.

I could just imagine what an EHM 2.0 could be if SEGA put just a bit of effort into the game to help Riz but...

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Still having roster problems with xECK and TBL's newest ones. I can't seem to download them off steam. Keeps appearing as previous db's.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Still having roster problems with xECK and TBL's newest ones. I can't seem to download them off steam. Keeps appearing as previous db's.

When you are subscribed, it auto-update the DB. So normally only the most recent version of ECK 2018-2019 roster should be available when you start a game.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
When you are subscribed, it auto-update the DB. So normally only the most recent version of ECK 2018-2019 roster should be available when you start a game.
It didn't auto-update for me. I even unsubbed and resubbed. Didn't change anything

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Hearing reports of crashing around 7.1.2021 or 2023 with my latest DB. I think I have an idea of what it might be but I'm not sure. If anyone wants to share their save games with me I'd appreciate it, also if you are up to doing some test sims please PM me or reach out on Steam or Discord

dellzor

Bo Horvat's Head
Nov 21, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Also noticed that Judd Brackett (also probably the Canucks' best scout) isn't a scout for the Canucks in BK's DB since he was responsible for the Boeser, Madden, Gaudette, Lockwood picks. Gradin I think should get a little boost (wanted Nylander hard but Benning wanted Virtanen and was also hard vouching for Pettersson).,

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Hearing reports of crashing around 7.1.2021 or 2023 with my latest DB. I think I have an idea of what it might be but I'm not sure. If anyone wants to share their save games with me I'd appreciate it, also if you are up to doing some test sims please PM me or reach out on Steam or Discord

are these date crashes more of a database issue or is it just the game itself?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Also noticed that Judd Brackett (also probably the Canucks' best scout) isn't a scout for the Canucks in BK's DB since he was responsible for the Boeser, Madden, Gaudette, Lockwood picks. Gradin I think should get a little boost (wanted Nylander hard but Benning wanted Virtanen and was also hard vouching for Pettersson).,

Re-doing all NHL and AHL staff for next update so will keep this in mind. Gonna be a while though!

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
are these date crashes more of a database issue or is it just the game itself?

They are invariably DB issues relating to league structure error. The structures consist of stages which must correctly align otherwise the game will crash. A basic example is where the relegation playouts are triggered before all teams have qualified from the preceding stages. These issues can arise several years due to a sudden overlap in schedules caused by the game adjusting the dates each year (they are adjusted each year to ensure they correctly fall on a Saturday, etc each year).

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
They are invariably DB issues relating to league structure error. The structures consist of stages which must correctly align otherwise the game will crash. A basic example is where the relegation playouts are triggered before all teams have qualified from the preceding stages. These issues can arise several years due to a sudden overlap in schedules caused by the game adjusting the dates each year (they are adjusted each year to ensure they correctly fall on a Saturday, etc each year).

You mentioned you are working on re-configuring how league structures are viewed/configured in the editor, is something like schedule overlap/dependency issues something you could potentially highlight as an issue?

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

So is it best to use -1 (which I believe is basically a variable for any) for the schedule 'Day' instead of a hard coded day of the week? I find TBL has a mix of both pending on what league you are looking at, if we are using that as the standard what is recommended? I find personally I've ran into more issues with a hard coded day instead of -1.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
You mentioned you are working on re-configuring how league structures are viewed/configured in the editor, is something like schedule overlap/dependency issues something you could potentially highlight as an issue?

I've been trying to make things a little more accessible but haven't planned if or how I will re-configure those screens in the Editor. I asked for feedback on TBL about what people find clunky/awkward and whether anyone has any suggestions but I haven't had any responses - so it's hard for me to gauge people's views.

I have been thinking about whether it could flag overlapping schedules but it is extremely complex as the schedules need to be mapped out in full and then processed/checked - and then further checked against any linked or upper/lower leagues. This would only identify blatant errors, however. It won't identify the more subtle issues which only appear in game after several years because the initial settings are entirely valid. Take, for instance, the Allsvenskan/HockeyEttan issue I describe HERE. The initial settings are fine and it's only when you get to 2025/2026 that the issue arises because EHM has rounded the final date of the Allsvenskan season down and the end of the HockeyEttan playoffs up. So the Allsvenskan finishes its regular season before the HockeyEttan has determined a winner. When the game tries to trigger the Allsvenskan playouts the game gives an error because it cannot draw any teams from the HockeyEttan into the playouts.

So is it best to use -1 (which I believe is basically a variable for any) for the schedule 'Day' instead of a hard coded day of the week? I find TBL has a mix of both pending on what league you are looking at, if we are using that as the standard what is recommended? I find personally I've ran into more issues with a hard coded day instead of -1.

I think it depends what you want. I also think the default DB which ships with the game uses a combination of -1 and specified dates. You're probably right that -1 is more reliable because I believe the game won't then adjust the date each season. However, some leagues have particular playoff rounds on specified days and so a day has to be set if it is going to be totally realistic. For example, the UK EIHL always has the two playoff semi finals on the Saturday and the final on the Sunday. Using -1 would mean that the games would take play on any day rather than Saturday/Sunday.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I have been thinking about whether it could flag overlapping schedules but it is extremely complex as the schedules need to be mapped out in full and then processed/checked - and then further checked against any linked or upper/lower leagues. This would only identify blatant errors, however. It won't identify the more subtle issues which only appear in game after several years because the initial settings are entirely valid. Take, for instance, the Allsvenskan/HockeyEttan issue I describe HERE. The initial settings are fine and it's only when you get to 2025/2026 that the issue arises because EHM has rounded the final date of the Allsvenskan season down and the end of the HockeyEttan playoffs up. So the Allsvenskan finishes its regular season before the HockeyEttan has determined a winner. When the game tries to trigger the Allsvenskan playouts the game gives an error because it cannot draw any teams from the HockeyEttan into the playouts.

This error is much different from a crash to desktop though, we have an understanding of this issue and it was fairly easy to fix because we have something to work off of.

I've been trying to make things a little more accessible but haven't planned if or how I will re-configure those screens in the Editor. I asked for feedback on TBL about what people find clunky/awkward and whether anyone has any suggestions but I haven't had any responses - so it's hard for me to gauge people's views.

I think it depends what you want. I also think the default DB which ships with the game uses a combination of -1 and specified dates. You're probably right that -1 is more reliable because I believe the game won't then adjust the date each season. However, some leagues have particular playoff rounds on specified days and so a day has to be set if it is going to be totally realistic. For example, the UK EIHL always has the two playoff semi finals on the Saturday and the final on the Sunday. Using -1 would mean that the games would take play on any day rather than Saturday/Sunday.

I think it's tough to gauge feedback wise because as you said, the league structures are so complex and as far as I know, there isn't any "noob friendly" documentation or wiki entries for creating a league and whats involved, for me it's been a lot of trial and error and because of that I don't really know what I want :). Also there are very few people who actually understand how to create a functional league and whats involved in that, I just mostly copy whats in BKs or TBLs DBs. I think we need to get together more as creators and maintainers of these DBs and standardize a bit, if we know something works everyone use and stick to it when it comes to these league structures.

Maybe it's just me and the fact I get really discouraged when I run into these issues.

Last edited:

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
As always, thanks for your efforts Arch :thumbu:

For myself what I find clunky/awkward is having to attempt the task without a guide of some sort.
Getting just the NHL in the 74DB working/functional was difficult and frustrating (I only accomplished what I did thanks to help), and since then I've mostly just avoided even looking at it further and instead have focused on editing players

I think it's tough to gauge feedback wise because as you said, the league structures are so complex and as far as I know, there isn't any "noob friendly" documentation or wiki entries for creating a league and whats involved, for me it's been a lot of trial and error and because of that I don't really know what I want :). Also there are very few people who actually understand how to create a functional league and whats involved in that, I just mostly copy whats in BKs or TBLs DBs. I think we need to get together more as creators and maintainers of these DBs and standardize a bit, if we know something works everyone use and stick to it when it comes to these league structures.
I too think there are very few people "who actually understand how to create a functional league and whats involved in that" (I wish there was a guide...even just having documented what each box on the Rules & Structures screens means/is for would help).

Maybe it's just me and the fact I get really discouraged when I run into these issues.
I didn't enjoy and was not good at league structure editing with EHM07! and alas it's no different for me with EHM1 - so I too can get discouraged, you're not alone :)

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
With 3.19?

With the original rosters of 2015/2016. The Rosters only have 2 Swedish Leagues in them (I think HockeyEttan is considered Third Tier?). Would it be wiser to remove the ‘Ettan league entirely? Or to push the season earlier or farther?

I have been thinking about whether it could flag overlapping schedules but it is extremely complex as the schedules need to be mapped out in full and then processed/checked - and then further checked against any linked or upper/lower leagues

Forgive me for being naive, but could there be a programming way where certain leagues had a ‘hard’ date to start and end? That way there would not be a scheduling conflict down the road (ala HockeyEttan, Allsvenskan) or would that be a complete pain to take ahold of?

I too think there are very few people "who actually understand how to create a functional league and whats involved in that" (I wish there was a guide...even just having documented what each box on the Rules & Structures screens means/is for would help)

Again, don’t mean to be naive, but wouldn’t it be like creating a custom league for something like Football Manager? Or does FM ≠ EHM with scheduling and everything?

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Any reccomendations for getting a game started with a 2019 start? I usually sim past the season and use trades to get the pre-lottery order right. Anyone do something differently or have a save state?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
What's the most O/SL you guys got in season. The Jets just got 19 in 2021-2022 when Hellebuyck got injured for 4 months and they had to rely on Laurent Brossoit (who went 41-13-12-12). Still made the PO though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad