Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
@BKarchitect Just noticed on the DB that Carl Grundstrom is still with Toronto rather than LA, nothing major just a heads up

Thanks, the file is fixed.

I tried using the NHL32X rosters and the game keeps closing on Jan 1st 2021. I didn't have the British leagues selected. Are there any other glitches?

I've had a few errors here and there that I can click through, nothing that has caused a fatal crash that I can't get beyond. Testing a game right now and am in 2027 but I don't have every single league selected so I'll try with everything but the NIHL and see if I can duplicate the crash.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Yes he would sign with that team in the extra config unless that transfer is cancelled by the AI/human GM (must still confirm at time of transfer and have appropriate contract space)
Ah cool, thank you sir.
I noticed in your 3.16 version(and I don't know if you noticed and looked at it for next version) but Sean Monahan always wins the Calder trophy in 2018-19. Maybe it's just a glitch in my sims but it happened 3 times in a row. I looked in the editor, but I can't see anything that would indicate he's designated as a rookie. Kinda funny, just thought I'd let you know

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Ah cool, thank you sir.
I noticed in your 3.16 version(and I don't know if you noticed and looked at it for next version) but Sean Monahan always wins the Calder trophy in 2018-19. Maybe it's just a glitch in my sims but it happened 3 times in a row. I looked in the editor, but I can't see anything that would indicate he's designated as a rookie. Kinda funny, just thought I'd let you know

This is a known game bug, hopefully will be fixed in a future patch. Sim year one rookie calculation will be off, year 2+ will be accurate

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
This is a known game bug, hopefully will be fixed in a future patch. Sim year one rookie calculation will be off, year 2+ will be accurate

Yeah I figured it must be an actual game bug. Thanks

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Anybody know where to find an ehm friendly pack of 90s Ducks logos?

Edit: NM photoshopped em

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
So question...are there positives or negatives to using the TBL rosters vs. some of the popular rosters on steam? Just preference?

TBL is supposed to be the most accurate one rating wise due to the amount of research put in by several researcher.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
TBL is supposed to be the most accurate one rating wise due to the amount of research put in by several researcher.

I wouldn’t say accurate, ratings are so subjective. It’s considered a community standard and the only start of season DB available.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I wouldn’t say accurate, ratings are so subjective. It’s considered a community standard and the only start of season DB available.

Accurate may have not been the best word. Complete? Detailed?

They have researchers from multiple league that other can just mostly stat-watch because they are 1 person.

Personally I prefer other DBs because the Habs always seem to get meh ratings, especially the prospects :laugh:

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
OK, so this is more of like a stackexchange question than an EHM question, but I can't code shit. I wouldn't know where to begin, but I think this could be useful. The EHM editor has a nifty export to spreadsheet feature, you can tell it to give you all the people in a specific league and you'll get something like this in a couple clicks

The gray player faces for generated players really annoy me, but you can give them faces by using the same file naming format as real players (Jacques_Bonvalot_28_2_2003.jpg) and putting it in the pictures\players folder. But even if you're just copying pictures of forgotten WHL guys, it's too much work for anyone to do that for more than their own team and maybe the superstars.

Since the excel file has all the names and birthdays you'd need, would it be possible to write something that copies + renames random jpgs in the pictures\players folder? I have like 10,000 dudes in that folder. I don't know what most of them look like.

ed: learned how to do it myself from googling around, nothing about it is that "hard" but it's a lot of steps. I made a copy of my pictures\players folder and worked on everything in the copy. Links I used that weren't just "how does baby use excel":

Rename Multiple Files using Excel in Windows | Adventurer, Lover of Film and Web Developer | Ben Holland
Rename Multiple Files Efficiently Using Excel or Google Docs
Random sort in Excel: shuffle cells, rows and columns

When I had the fake players lined up with the real players, I used the RIGHT() function to isolate the file formats and concatenate them with the "Jacques_Bonvalot_28_2_2003"s - some of the pictures are jpgs, some are pngs.

When I got it down to two columns of real players and fake players, I copied them into a notepad document After that I had to find + replace the tab spaces in between for a | , then I used the "import rename-pairs" action with this program

If you actually care how it looks, you can isolate out the pictures of old dudes; all the birth years are in the file names. I just wanted to prove I could do it, so hello, Henrik

Last edited:

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
OK, so this is more of like a stackexchange question than an EHM question, but I can't code ****. I wouldn't know where to begin, but I think this could be useful. The EHM editor has a nifty export to spreadsheet feature, you can tell it to give you all the people in a specific league and you'll get something like this in a couple clicks

The gray player faces for generated players really annoy me, but you can give them faces by using the same file naming format as real players (Jacques_Bonvalot_28_2_2003.jpg) and putting it in the pictures\players folder. But even if you're just copying pictures of forgotten WHL guys, it's too much work for anyone to do that for more than their own team and maybe the superstars.

Since the excel file has all the names and birthdays you'd need, would it be possible to write something that copies + renames random jpgs in the pictures\players folder? I have like 10,000 dudes in that folder. I don't know what most of them look like.

ed: learned how to do it myself from googling around, nothing about it is that "hard" but it's a lot of steps. I made a copy of my pictures\players folder and worked on everything in the copy. Links I used that weren't just "how does baby use excel":

Rename Multiple Files using Excel in Windows | Adventurer, Lover of Film and Web Developer | Ben Holland
Rename Multiple Files Efficiently Using Excel or Google Docs
Random sort in Excel: shuffle cells, rows and columns

When I had the fake players lined up with the real players, I used the RIGHT() function to isolate the file formats and concatenate them with the "Jacques_Bonvalot_28_2_2003"s - some of the pictures are jpgs, some are pngs.

When I got it down to two columns of real players and fake players, I copied them into a notepad document After that I had to find + replace the tab spaces in between for a | , then I used the "import rename-pairs" action with this program

If you actually care how it looks, you can isolate out the pictures of old dudes; all the birth years are in the file names. I just wanted to prove I could do it, so hello, Henrik

If you pair this with the "generic players" facepack you might be onto something here!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Loading up the latest TBL and playing the Coyotes, the organizational inaccuracies are so egregious that whatever ratings accuracy there is with the players pales in comparison. For some that probably won't matter; for me, it does. I'm sticking with the Pivot Rosters; they're not perfect (a lot of prospect players start out with overly high ratings, which leads to a lot of top players being left alone in UFA from year to year) but they're well-updated and I like the attention to detail.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Loading up the latest TBL and playing the Coyotes, the organizational inaccuracies are so egregious that whatever ratings accuracy there is with the players pales in comparison. For some that probably won't matter; for me, it does. I'm sticking with the Pivot Rosters; they're not perfect (a lot of prospect players start out with overly high ratings, which leads to a lot of top players being left alone in UFA from year to year) but they're well-updated and I like the attention to detail.

That could be due to the lack of researchers. So it’s kind of hard to backtrack everything.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
That could be due to the lack of researchers. So it’s kind of hard to backtrack everything.

Well, look, I'm very sympathetic to crowd-sourced addons for games. Did a lot of it when I was younger myself. So I get the fact that doing something like this for no pay and with a dearth of volunteers can be challenging.

That said, the Pivot Rosters' only aberration with the Coyotes is that Jim Playfair is still listed as an assistant coach (he left the team when Dave Tippett was let go a year and a half ago). The TBL rosters just released still have scouts and other personnel who haven't been with the team in 2+ years, and the prospect and roster lists are over a year out of date (e.g. Louis Domingue was traded midway through the 2017-2018 season, and yet is listed as the Coyotes' backup for the start-of-season 2018-2019 roster; Jiri Sekac rights are still listed even though the team has not owned his rights for 3 years; etc.).

Now, granted, I may be the only person in the entirety of creation who wants to play the Arizona Coyotes in EHM, and the rest of the teams are fully up-to-date. I'm certainly willing to admit my experience is unique and should not be used as a mark against TBL. But the Pivot Rosters have been reliably updated with accuracy and timeliness, and I appreciate that effort - particularly in a day and age when the research to get a team right is a matter of checking two web pages (the team's own roster and personnel page, and CapFriendly). YMMV.

Reactions: MasterMatt25

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Just got a new laptop and finally have time for another @BKarchitect Seattle attempt. Downloaded the new 3.1 32 roster and I'm curious why a 25 man roster limit was imposed on the AHL? There's no such restriction in real life. Can make re-assigning difficult when you don't want to take over AHL team as well.

I'm thinking about doing another story thread, but this time I'm going to wait until I have 3-5 years of posts ready. My roster is bad though, I took on some of the worst contracts in the NHL just to get a roster and I'm still facing fines for not getting to the floor.
Ladd - Spezza - Hemsky
Jurco - Cammalleri - Etem
Glendening - Richardson - Upshall
Pouliot - Sturm - Ward
Scandella - MacDonald
Hickey - Duszak
Martin - Redmond
Smith
Lehtonen

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Just got a new laptop and finally have time for another @BKarchitect Seattle attempt. Downloaded the new 3.1 32 roster and I'm curious why a 25 man roster limit was imposed on the AHL? There's no such restriction in real life. Can make re-assigning difficult when you don't want to take over AHL team as well.

I was experimenting with stricter roster limits to try and make sure there was a big enough pool of players to support the WHA and WHAII. I increased the ECHL so the idea was send more lower-level signed players to the ECHL instead of AHL.

Certainly can be tweaked though if it's creating an annoyance.

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
Well, look, I'm very sympathetic to crowd-sourced addons for games. Did a lot of it when I was younger myself. So I get the fact that doing something like this for no pay and with a dearth of volunteers can be challenging.

That said, the Pivot Rosters' only aberration with the Coyotes is that Jim Playfair is still listed as an assistant coach (he left the team when Dave Tippett was let go a year and a half ago). The TBL rosters just released still have scouts and other personnel who haven't been with the team in 2+ years, and the prospect and roster lists are over a year out of date (e.g. Louis Domingue was traded midway through the 2017-2018 season, and yet is listed as the Coyotes' backup for the start-of-season 2018-2019 roster; Jiri Sekac rights are still listed even though the team has not owned his rights for 3 years; etc.).

Now, granted, I may be the only person in the entirety of creation who wants to play the Arizona Coyotes in EHM, and the rest of the teams are fully up-to-date. I'm certainly willing to admit my experience is unique and should not be used as a mark against TBL. But the Pivot Rosters have been reliably updated with accuracy and timeliness, and I appreciate that effort - particularly in a day and age when the research to get a team right is a matter of checking two web pages (the team's own roster and personnel page, and CapFriendly). YMMV.

If you post the exact changes that need to be made the we'll gladly make them.

It is true that these can be verified for NHL teams from one or two pages but we have update hundreds of teams plus all of the other work. So it makes the task far bigger than what one item in isolation might otherwise suggest. But we're always happy to make corrections if people report them.

We're hoping to slightly streamline things next season which I hope will improve accuracy and speed - but it's too early to say for sure now.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I was experimenting with stricter roster limits to try and make sure there was a big enough pool of players to support the WHA and WHAII. I increased the ECHL so the idea was send more lower-level signed players to the ECHL instead of AHL.

Certainly can be tweaked though if it's creating an annoyance.

AHL GM have a tendency to release players instead of sending them down, so I always end up with under-staffed AHL midway through the year when I trade busts to save contract space.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’m going to post another relatively minor update soon, I’ll bump AHL roster limits and perhaps remove or reduce the cap floor since right now there is no current expansion draft import file and you are literally building Seattle from ground zero.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

Will fix, if you can give me the prospects that need to be knocked down I can put those fixes in too. I can't fix anything unless you bring it to my attention :).

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I’m going to post another relatively minor update soon, I’ll bump AHL roster limits and perhaps remove or reduce the cap floor since right now there is no current expansion draft import file and you are literally building Seattle from ground zero.

Yeah I have no interest in the WHA stuff so I removed it. Just for me. I think I'll use the save game editor to fix mine. I hope I can use that to remove AHL roster limits and another thing I just found out was that NHL contract limits were moved from real life 50 to 48. Want to move that back up. I moved the cap up to 99 million to hopefully help the CPU retain players. Cost me just a buyout of a 33yo Mason Raymond who failed to even crack my AHL squad haha. Makes sense in real life that'd he'd ask for a contract termination when not playing even in AHL.

Does EHM Assistant still work? Last download I see in the blueline forum is from Jan 31, 2017.
I downloaded it again but can't change much of anything in there anymore. Does anyone know if I can change roster limits or reserve list limits in a saved game?

Last edited:

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Trying the new BK save with the Kings and the Sea Lions just got their first win, 2-0 over the Jets and now 1-29. They didn't make as many FA signings as I would like to see and focused on waivers instead (led by Kari Lehtonen, Marco Scandella, Kevan Miller, Ales Hemsky, Mike Cammalleri, Jay Beagle, Andrew Cogliano....and leading scorer Kevin Westgarth). Fresno is also last in the AHL at 1-30-1

Should be fun to see how (if ever) the computer fixes them up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad